Bought my daughter a used 2nd gen touch 8g

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by aimeeinohio, Dec 9, 2010.

1. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

for $140.00.........seems to work well...back is scratched up, but, well, you know how that goes. Kid had a case for it, screen protectors for it, etc. Do you guys think that's a good deal, or not?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Not trying to burst your bubble, but personally, for me, no.
    The new iPod Touch blows the old one away in many aspects and is ~$230 (you can find it a bit cheaper if you look). In addition to the valued upgrades in the new iPod, you would get warranty, and a brand new device.

I would be lucky if I could sell my in-perfect-condition iPod Touch 2G for that much money. The most I've seen it sell for is $70-80.

3. aimeeinohio thread starter macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

aww , really?? Dang it!

She wants one SOOOO bad, but I refuse to buy her a brand spankin' new one, because she breaks stuff...Not on purpose, but she's not careful. twice when i've upgraded my camera, I've given her my old ones, and BOTH times she'd had them broken with in a week. The last one, i carried in my purse for 4 years- and was in perfect condition. In 2 days she had the battery door broken off. A week or so later, the cord wouldn't plug into it correctly. And this is not a little kid- she is 15 for crying out loud.
    last year at christmas she broke MY camera, and it still hasn't been repaired
    (and now it's 3 years old so I doubt I'll bother with it).

Well I was thinking I got a steal- guess not LOL

4. miguueeel macrumors member

Get it at bestbuy and buy the insurance that covers accidental (from geeksquad) damage is 100% worth it, specially if your daughter breaks everything.

5. TorontoLRT macrumors 6502

She's 15? Give her the money and let her buy her own gadgets!

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well I guess being careful is something your daughter will need to practice. You could have always gotten a really protective case for the iPod but that would have added to the total price :)
    I'm 14 and I'm pretty careful with my stuff; I drop them occasionally, but they don't seem to die and I use a case. Maybe if your daughter doesn't use a case with her gadgets, then she should consider it. I have a case on my phone and iPod Touch. (mainly because they crack so easy if you drop it!)
    Hope she enjoys her iPod. :)

7. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

she's 15? I thought she was a kid. I bought my toddler a new touch so he can watch Toy Story in the car. Target had the effectively $40 off on black friday. I figured ~$180 is a good price to keep him happy and not breaking my iPhone. $140 seems like a lot for such an old one. I was looking to get him an old Touch, but for essentially a little bit more, he has a new one. And with a little bit (ok, maybe a lot) of luck, he can keep it for a long time.

8. aimeeinohio thread starter macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

Yeah Toys R Us and WM were both doing a $50.00 gift card w/Touch purchase on Black Friday but they sold out before I could get my hands on one.

Well hopefuly she'll take good care of it so she can get a NEW one next year...At least it's a touch, right!?!? ;)

9. aimeeinohio thread starter macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

With 3 teenagers i gotta watch my spending. The other two are getting DSI XLs and with the cases, screen prtectors, and crap for those, I just cannot get her a real expensive case for it, too! LOL The used one I bought did come with a decent case and some screen protectors. I guess we'll see!:D

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I understand. For my iPhone, I have a Speck Candyshell case (I found it on Amazon for <$10) and I also ordered 5 screen protecters for maybe a buck (on Amazon too). Its great protection, and I would highly recommend a case if possible. I drop my phone all the time and so far its been alright :) The main concern with the iPod Touches (and iPhones) are they crack easily if they are dropped. Even dropping it one time is good enough to kill them.

Hopefully she can get a new iPod next year, they are stunning compared to the older ones.

This is the case I have for my phone. Obviously I have the iPhone version, but here is the iPod Touch version going for only 57 cents. That's a steal; I might have to order one for my iPod Touch 2nd Gen :D

http://www.amazon.com/Speck-CandyShell-Case-touch-Black/dp/B002PU9PY0/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1

11. aimeeinohio thread starter macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

I have the new touch- got it in August, right before i started school. Figured I could at least check in on classes and stuff with it since the lap top was on it's way to death's door...I bought it with student loan money. I LOVE the touch. LOVE LOVE LOVE that thing!!

I have a rubbery Belkin case on my Touch that was cheap at WM, and a screen protector...I've dropped it a few times and it's done fine. The 2nd gen one I bought Kristen came with a hard shell Belkin case and some screen protectors...But I will look at the one you posted. I shop Amazon a lot, love it there!

I am HOPING that she does take good care of it- I would love to upgrade her next year and pass the 2nd gen on to one of her younger brothers!!! :)

12. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Woah, so you're gonna pass your current daughter to her younger brothers and get the latest model of iDaughter? :p:D:eek:

13. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

14. aimeeinohio thread starter macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

HAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA

Some days, that's not a bad idea!! LOL

15. aimeeinohio thread starter macrumors regular

aimeeinohio