Bought myself a 15" MBP last January, big mistake?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drewjonn, Feb 23, 2016.

1. drewjonn macrumors regular

I've been hearing about this upcoming Macbook Pro with Skylake and I'm sure it's a significant difference. Wished I had been informed about this earlier, guess now it's too late.

Is it still possible to sell my current rMBP with a good price and grab myself the Skylake rMBP instead?

It might not come to my country any sooner (Indonesia), so it might take up to September to come.

What would you suggest? Worth switching?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I think you are over reacting massively, skylake is not much better to be honest, and if your MacBook Pro does everything you want why would you upgrade??? The 15 inch probably won't be with us until June at which point you would have had your great computer for 18 months would you have waited 18 months for a new computer? If you would then you didn't need it.

Next year it will be canonLake and you will be regretting buying skylake this year. New chips come out every year so do new graphics cards and ports and screen tech etc etc.

Buy what you need when you need it, replace it when it no longer does what you need, simple as that.

3. iKonstantinos macrumors newbie

Thanks mate! That's so true way of approaching products and needs!

4. venom600 macrumors 6502a

Skylake won't be significantly faster. It will offer slightly better battery life and slightly more performance from the integrated graphics. The only major innovation over the current models are likely to be much improved discrete graphics if you go for them, a 32GB ram ceiling, and Thunderbolt 3. If you don't care bout that stuff, you are fine.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Worth is subjective, check out how local sales of that computer are going.

No, I think you have a great computer and there's no reason to "upgrade" You said it yourself it may not make it to your country until September, so that makes your current computer almost a year old. To me that doesn't sound like you jumped the gun.

Enjoy the computer you have, there will always be faster, better computers being released around the corner. Don't worry about what may come - be content with what you have :)

6. adib macrumors regular

adib

I consciously bought a 1.5 year old MacBook Pro (early 2013 model) from the refurbished store. It still performs very well up to this day.

7. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Worth switching for exactly what purpose?
    Why do you say you are sure the Skylake is a significant difference. We've heard about the specs, but what in reality are the benefits for users? And doesn't the possibility of early teething problems make you a little nervous, and being a willing guinea-pig?
    If you are the sort of person who always has to have the latest, the buyers remorse you are feeling for purchasing the current rMBP will be repeated even with a Skylake rMBP, when the subsequent 7th gen Intel is eventually announced.....

8. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Unless you're made of money, it's hard to envision a scenario where selling a virtually new laptop, and repurchasing a newer model would make any sense. The upcoming rMBP, other than the Skylake processor improvement, might have marginally better graphics, but could however have one or more USB-C ports with USB3.1 and ThunderBolt3. I doubt that is something you couldn't live without at the moment, but who am I to second-guess you.

If you're awash in cash, go for it once they come out, but if you do I suspect you may be disappointed with the increase in processor speed and battery-life improvement vis-a-vis the money you lost.

You have a great laptop, why not save some cash and enjoy it for a few years.

P.S. If you're worried about new equipment suddenly appearing just after you purchased the existing stock, why not check out rumor sites like this one, like we all do, so you'll be in the loop as to the latest developments, and avoid having to kick yourself later. Good Luck! Whatever you choose to do.

9. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

When it comes to personal purchases, I don't think I've bought a current-generation Mac since September 2003 (when I did splurge on a brand-spanking-new 15" Aluminum PowerBook - my first Mac!). My strategy has been to wait for new hardware to be announced, then pick up something from one generation back - which suddenly has become about $100-$200 cheaper.

Processor iterations really offer very little practical difference to most people anymore. And, even in the old days, for most people just increasing RAM makes more of a difference. And now that we have SSDs at a reasonable price, even an older computer with a new SSD swapped in can feel like a speed demon.

10. Macyourdayy macrumors regular

Macyourdayy

Exactly. I bought my late 2011 17" just after the 2012 WWDC when the 17's were axed. Having finally installed a 1TB ssd, 1TB HD, and 16G of 1600mhz ram, it runs great, but obviously the screen isn't latest and greatest any more.

11. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Because of my job, I end up seeing/using a lot of different screens, both Mac and PC. The Retina Mac displays are certainly beautiful. But (and I am typing this on a 2011 13" MBP) the non-Retina Mac screens are still quite nice - good colors, good viewing angles, easy to read on. I'd pick working on this screen over some of the "Retina-esque" displays I've seen on low-end Windows laptops.

(Note I said "low end" there - some more expensive Windows laptops also have really nice displays)

12. 8281 macrumors 6502

Unless you are doing very heavy video work or some other processor-intensive tasks you won't notice a difference. Processors are rarely the performance bottleneck in modern computers (for consumers at least).

13. kerochan macrumors newbie

kerochan

I just took delivery of a new 15 MBP last week, does it have Skylake?? I have no idea, What is it?
    All I know is that the MBP is awesome! Very peased with it.

Interested to know what Skylake is though? Or if I have it

14. shaunp, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016

shaunp macrumors 65816

Why do you want to switch? The current skylake CPU's are showing 10-20% increase over the past generation at best. You would loose a lot of money if you sold your MBP and bought a new one and you wouldn't gain that much.

Just for comparison, I have an early 2013 rMBP and while I'm not too impressed with the GPU performance in lightroom, it's been a good machine. I use it a lot for VMware and the only thing that lets it down there is the lack of RAM - I often need more than 16GB. I also feel it's a bit heavy for a slim machine. So for me I wouldn't change laptop until Apple slim it down further and increase the upper RAM limit from 16 GB to 32GB, or ideally 64GB with mobile Xeon. That's a complete redesign rather than just a 10% increase in performance that would make me change and my rMBP is a lot older than yours. I might see a 30% increase in performance given the age of my laptop (guessing), but I still don't think it's worth the price of the upgrade.

We don't get big jumps in performance every year like we used to do a few years back, so you should get a MBP with a view of keeping it 3-4 years or maybe longer. Only after this period of time would you see an increase in performance that would make the jump worth while.

15. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Don't bother. Relax. Take a deep breath. You bought a nice computer. The nicest laptop I've ever used. It will not stay the latest and greatest model forever. But if you change it for a new model, that won't stay the latest and greatest model forever either. Your problem is not the new model, the problem is that you are afraid of not having the newest model. A problem that you totally created yourself.

16. ProjectManager101 Suspended

ProjectManager101

In order for you to tell a significant difference between Apple products you need to wait at least 3 years, no so much with iPhones but with everything else. Your MBP will be just fine in two years, probably a bit slower but in reality there is no difference. I got mine a year ago before yours came out and I am just fine even I work in video editing.

17. flr macrumors member

I've used my last 15" MBP from 2007-2013. Now my parents are still using it. Most users only have a significant difference if their Mac is > 5 years old!

18. drewjonn thread starter macrumors regular

Why would you think that it will become slower in 2 years though? The best I can do is 5 years before I switch to a newer one. So probably 2021 it is.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 28, 2016 ---
    One is true but I don't agree with the other one. Guess everyone has their own **** and that's mine, as you mentioned, I like to have the latest release, as always. People always do that with iPhones (can't deny) but probably not Macs. but it's not because I wanna spend some serious cash for this, that's because of my nature that forces me to do so. Can't help it, but guess what, I will just be happy with my current MBP, at least for the next 5 years.

19. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I have a 2006 Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro that has been happily pulling duty as our "media server" for several years now. I don't know if the battery would last even five minutes anymore; but, for what most people use a computer for, that 10 year old machine would likely be adequate. Not great, but adequate.

I wouldn't want to try using Photoshop on it though... unless I had a ten-year-old copy of the app. :D