bought new 8 core macpro, need to install tiger, please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by digital kemical, Jan 17, 2008.

1. digital kemical macrumors newbie

I just bought a new 2.8 ghz macpro. I bought this machine because I use logic and wanted a fast machine. I am having a nightmare because non of my plugins really work, thy have GUI bugs and stuff. Is there any way to install tiger on this machine? please, help.

2. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

you could erase the drive and reinstall tiger, you owuld need the install disc and boot that up then erase hdd and install tiger

or partition the drive and have both installed

just an idea

3. digital kemical thread starter macrumors newbie

the disk I have is tiger, but I do not know if that install disk is Universal binary.

would it work? I heard apple blocks older OS from being installed

4. Toups macrumors regular

Keep in mind, Tiger does not have all of the same drivers and therefore you may run into many more problems other than just a few plugins not working.

5. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I'll be very surprised if you can install Tiger on a MP 2.8.

6. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Apple only supports the OS that originally came with your laptop. Chances are, you're going to run into nothing but trouble by trying to run Tiger (that is, if it loads at all).

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I doubt it'll work. But what with 10.5.2 due for release soon running Leopard shouldn't cause the same problems as it did straight after release.

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I am almost certain it is impossible to install Tiger on a new Mac Pro. Because these machines shipped with Leopard pre-installed from day 1, it's likely that the drivers needed to properly support their hardware do not exist in any build of Tiger. In any case, the only Intel distributions of Tiger exist on the system restore DVDs of older Macs. There's no retail-boxed version of Tiger for Intel Macs.

I think you're going to just have to stick it out with Leopard.

9. digital kemical thread starter macrumors newbie

nothing works in leopard. None of my 3rd partty plugins. All kinds of GUI errors. This thing is a piece of junk.

10. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

so what your saying is it you want error free from the release and everything just works, obviously it has not hit you yet that not everything just works when you get it...

11. snake007uk macrumors member

I for one would definatly be intrested on how you get on with Tiger :D

12. digital kemical thread starter macrumors newbie

well if the new doesnt work, you SHOULD be able go back to the old....

apple doesnt let you do this though. Well this mac pro is going back to apple. Im better off getting a used g5 quad. At least with that I can install BOTH tiger and leopard.

13. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

It does work but you expected it to work instantly with everything you need, that just wont happen

so your choice or you could wait for an update

14. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

I don't know much about this, but if I were you I'd contact the company who made the plugins. I've had some cases where they respond saying they're working on them or sent me new ones. I would contact them and also talk to apple. My last option would be to return a new computer especially a Mac Pro.

15. TheFuzz macrumors regular

um, did you research any of this before buying the new computer? did you check the compatibility of your software with leopard?

16. Toups macrumors regular

I have a feeling if enough of us complain to apple they will create a work around or patch, but dont be surprised if it takes a month or two to publish it.

17. John Purple macrumors regular

Having Penryn (incl. SSE4) which did not exist in old Tiger days, Tiger will not work on a new MP.
    Did you try to get the third party plugins updated for Leopard at the third party sites?

18. digital kemical thread starter macrumors newbie

its not just my apps.

logic 8 is in its infancy, and is not ready for pro use. If I could install logic 7, this would be a non issue.

Logic 7.2 DOES run on intel macs, BUT apple blocked it from being able to be installed on my mac!

[​IMG]

Why can I not even install logic 7.2, an apple owned product on an intel mac???? This is very unprofessional.

19. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I am running Logic 8 with no problems at all on 10.5, again with no problems at all.

20. lostless macrumors 6502

Another thing it could possibly be is that if you had a PPC mac and moved to intel, some AUs will not work. I lost one of my favorite AUs I use for deessing. But it was never compiled as universal and the author has no plan to update. in short, PPC compiled AUs will not work.

21. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Have a look at the thread that Eidorian linked to. Short version: Find and Intel Mac with Tiger installed. Start your Mac in Firewire mode. Copy the complete harddisk to your machine.

22. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Keep in mind it's an Aluminium iMac. It's the only Tiger based Mac with the Radeon 2600 drivers.

No word on extracting the driver update packages to another Tiger Intel install though.

23. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Obnoxious and unhelpful. How long have you been using Macs? I seem to remember a day when you upgraded your operating system, and everything not only worked, it worked better. Ignoring Mac OS 8.0, anyway.

And actually, on this Beige, which started out with 8.5 and has gone progressively from 8.5 to 8.6 to 9.0 to 9.2 to 9.2.2 to 10.3, 10.3.9, 10.4 to 10.4.9, it's been my experience that everything just works the way it should. Or shouldn't, in the case of Panther and Tiger on an unsupported Mac.

People were installing Mac OS X on PCs long before UB.. it's possible. I also will bet that at least 10.4.10 and 10.4.11 wil work on the MacBook Pro. If your install CD isn't UB, you can always... acquire it in other ways. After all, you did pay for both the Tiger CD and the new mac with Leopard. . .

24. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Agreed, when I worked at a University we used to create a standard Tiger load on a firewire drive and boot the powermac G5s in the lab, powerbook aluminum G4s and mac minis and the same load booted them all. Only the early 1.6 iMacs gave us trouble. This was great since every PC update required a new load.

Seems perhaps its the Intel chipset changes that cause these incompatibilities between systems and models.

With all the utility and app issues (CS2 for us) we can't switch to Leopard. I guess we can't upgrade our hardware either!

Cheers,