bought old model M/pro 17" (i 5) last week

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by abouTimelord, Feb 25, 2011.

1. abouTimelord macrumors newbie

the whole apple mac is so new to me being a pc user that i am still trying to find files etc
    still feels like driving on wrong side of the road, (but of course may its the pc users driving on the wrong side and the right side just feels new) hah

does anyone know what is MAC policy on selling a model that is a few days away from being replaced with a new one

i tried to get this answered on apple main pages but no contact details for this

2. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

3. abouTimelord thread starter macrumors newbie

any one had practical experience with this

thanks for quick response i will get on to them

i have just checked docket date feb 11 so 15 days old i was away on holidays and lost track

but i still think it is very poor sales policy to sell off a computer that is outdated

what was the new release date again 24th?

has anybody had practical experience with this on another occasion/product

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...you have a 14 day return policy and no more restocking fees (in the USA anyway - not sure about other countries)...

Apple is in "business" to make money, you timed your purchase incorrectly, call them up and see if they will allow an exchange for the model you want...

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I believe Apples policy is that if you buy a computer and a new model comes out within 10 or 14 days that you can exchange without a restocking fee. I know because I went through this last year and called Apple to ask...

I would give Apple a call tomorrow morning 1-800-MY-APPLE and tell them you just bought one and you understand that it can be exchanged for a new one.... Don't just ask, let them know that you know the score. You shouldn't have any problems but you must act now!!!

6. Spartizan macrumors newbie

Apple has dropped the 10% restocking fee. I know this because I just returned the old model macbook pro 3 days ago (I purchased it almost 2 weeks ago).
    They will either give you your money back/gift card and you can choose what you would like to do from there.

goodluck!

7. abouTimelord, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

abouTimelord thread starter macrumors newbie

called the store

by the way i am in australia

i called the store i bought it from but it is the weekend and await manager to call back

the weekend manager states they do not have to replace it but understands my point of view

the machine is 15 days old 1 day outside their returns policy

apologies i said "last week" in intro (on holidays and completely lost track of time)
    but i will still argue my case

i think it is very poor policy of Apple to allow this sort of thing to happen as if i do not get a deal i will always feel that they have dupped me and i would then badmouth them and never do business again
    i hope the store can see this
    ps
    the comp was a on shelf display and they now tell me that the warranty is partially used up because of this

i think the store have done very poorly at telling me the score before i purchased particularly that they knew i new nothing about mac and apple when i bought it

i will let you know how i go
    i am sure they don't want lots of people bringing in old stock for replacement which is understandable but every other business and electronic industry are honest enough at point of sale to reduce price and inform consumers that a new model is imminent
    deliberately keeping the apple secret until the last minute sounds like a legal decision to manipulate sales conditions and max profits, so the store can say it is out of our control "go and take on the apple empire and good luck"

i did not know how apple operate but now i do

i hope we don't get off to a very bad relationship
    i can see now why there are people out there saying bad things about the apple empire
    i did not understand their rants, till now

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

FAIL. People knew here for months that it's going to refresh around February.

It appears to be a good deal when you bought it, and it still works as described when you bought it. :rolleyes:

9. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Supposedly the unwritten policy is 45 days on exchanges / upgrades.

10. abouTimelord thread starter macrumors newbie

not me

hmm
    i basically no not much about computer world
    your quote is interesting
    i am not sure if you meant i failed or the forum
    i did not know that this forum existed till yesterday

i bought a mac due to so many people recommending it
    some were religiously opposed (i did not understand why) but getting there

your right inasmuch that the product do what i bought it to do
    but i am arguing with the store that every other industry reduce prices for new models
    in other words it value has decreased significantly more now that it is superseded

but the main thing about your quote is that people who are into computers particularly macs knew in advance

the store who would know more than the average joe certainly would have known this but are telling that they have not done anything unethical as it was macs secret but that is not true obviously

i had no idea that it functioned this way and no one at the store discussed how apple operate

i work in health

i wonder what would happen if we kept such secrets and blamed people's lack of knowledge about their vital organs on them after they made decisions
    that were irreversible

i guess that is the difference between enterprises that exist just to make money and lots of it
    and those that are more altruistic

11. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I can somewhat understand your frustration.

But, I don't really get how you blame apple for releasing new products?
    Should they stop selling their products two, three or four weeks before they announce new?

Sandy Bridge has been on the news since xmas and every major company have or will release the technology these days.
    Also when most people spend over 2K on something, they do a bit of research first. A simple google search would have told you that apple was about to release new machines.

On the other hand, the previous MBP is still a great machine and you'll have a good computer for a long time.

You could try sell the machine, with perhaps 10-15% loss and get the latest one.

I have the 15 inch MBP, almost same machine you bought, and I'm very happy with it, and I'm sure it will last a good three years.

12. abouTimelord thread starter macrumors newbie

i didn't mean to just blame them, i guess i am saying that there is some ethical consideration that should be given at point of sale.
    some people like myself are not computer literate enough to be aware of how apple have chosen to do business

any other computer, tv, electronics, cars, etc etc etc

quite happily advise consumers that "this model is this $much but..." you are then advised to make an INFORMED DECISION
    eg "if you come back in a week,month a new model will be her"
    "it is expected to cost $x"
    or you could by the current one with these features at a discounted price

so you the consumer gets to choose do i want to save some $ and take the out of date model
    or
    will i
    a, wait
    b, pay more for the most up to date one

which is the better decision is irrelevant as you get the RIGHT to make the Informed choice

but to get an email from apple 14 days after your purchase happily advertising to you that the new model is here
    would you like to buy it is just plain wrong

13. abouTimelord, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

abouTimelord thread starter macrumors newbie

shop is now listing even cheaper than i paid 2nd hand

the web page for the company that sold me the used Mac for $2500 because it was demo model have now 14 days later advertised the exact same computer for $103 less

brand new for $2397

hopefully they will rectify this monday

caveat emptor (again):mad:

14. scarboni21 macrumors regular

So you are mad at Apple because the 2nd hand Apple Reseller sold you a used computer and didn't tell you they were going to be updated?

15. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

They shouldn't sell any MBPs on the day before they release a new one. But then everyone who bought two days before release will be upset.

So they shouldn't sell any MBPs two days before they release a new one. But then everyone who bought three days before release will be upset.

So they shouldn't sell any MBPs three days before they release a new one. And so on. And so on.

16. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Well, you still have an outstanding MBP. I bought mine about 3 months ago very aware that new models would be out within 2-3 months and have no regrets. The only real difference is the CPU will be faster for a few demanding tasks but outside of that the everyday stuff will have no performance differences. Thunderbolt may sound nice but no much one can do with it for a while.

I am actually more interested in the next refresh or two when 16Gb of RAM will work and Thunderbolt is more mature - it now uses copper but the next generation will be fiber optic.

17. abouTimelord thread starter macrumors newbie

i will try it this way then, no other company i know off does this

perhaps there is the general understanding of how this works with regard to apple in the general population, certainly of apple users

i was honest (stupid) enough to tell the store that i was new to apple and buying on recommendation.

keeping the new product date a secret until the day before or whatever is clearly a way maintain high price until launch date

as i said previously the price of a product in any other industry including other manufacturers of computers comes down relatively as time goes on.

it is then a case of the consumer deciding to wait a bit longer or buy an inferior model for a bit less

how much less is then haggled for with shop and how long before a new model comes out is the determinator of the discount

then there is no feeling of being ripped off or lied to or manipulated when you find out your new expensive purchase is out of date within 2 weeks

Vantage Point's point, is valid and i agree but there is the money side of it
    i have paid more than i needed to to a person who knew i was doing this and smiled at me on the way out and said well done you have a good deal there

they had reduced the price by about $500 solely for the reason that it was used flood stock (they did not tell me that apple start the warranty clock ticking when it is turned on, or so i have been told recently)
    2 weeks later it is available for $500 less Brand New because it is superseded stock, therefore what should it be sold for as superseded stock AND used floor stock

dont know but certainly not for $103 more

anyhow enough said on that i just wanted to know if anyone else has had this experience and i am getting the opinion from various places that i made the mistake of entering into the apple market not knowing that this is how they operate
    if i did then i would have known that a new model was imminent and of course just waited a short time and got a better price

18. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

i just wanted to know if anyone else has had this experience and i am getting the opinion from various places that i made the mistake of entering into the apple market not knowing that this is how they operate
    if i did then i would have known that a new model was imminent and of course just waited a short time and got a better price

You are correct - this is less about having the latest an greatest and more about value. Sadly you entered the Apple universe not knowing that they do things differently than just about every other electronics company in the world - as their costs drop their profits soar because they don't drop the price. Last year I made the switch but tried to wait it out but couldn't because my PC was almost 4 years old and on its last legs. I wrote a blog about how they do sell and tried to warn others. The new MBP were well overdue but I tried to hold out. Instead of the 15" MBP I wanted I ended up buying a imac and a 13" MBP for portability. But it was the wrong combo for me so I sold both 3 months ago and bought the 2010 15" - knowing full well that new ones would be out soon.

All I can say is enjoy your computer and know that these things do hold their price far more than a PC.

19. abouTimelord thread starter macrumors newbie

Outcome

thanks vantage point you have got the meaning of my post before it turned into a debate about policy

the store would not take computer back but gave me a gift voucher for $200 in good faith as they agreed it is not in their best interest for consumer relations to sell a 2nd hand product for more than they are selling a new one for.

so i am happy with that as i feel the computer is now priced closer to its true worth
    :)

20. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

the store would not take computer back but gave me a gift voucher for $200 in good faith

Great. This is what they should do, at least from what I was told almost a year ago. I was waiting and waiting for the refresh and called Apple directly to inquire about their policy. I was told when something new comes out you get 14 days to replace or be compensated. I asked what type of compensation and she was vague, like a gift card or something - but not money. Glad they gave you a slight grace period on the 14 days policy. Most people stew about this but don't try. The difference is a happy vs unhappy customer.

if the gift voucher doesn't have a expiration date (I'm sure it does), you can put it against your next upgrade. $200 sounds very reasonable and those Ivy Bridge CPU's for the next generation are supposed to be another big leap plus the possibility of 16Gb ram capability.

21. abouTimelord thread starter macrumors newbie

bog as above

i read you blog well said

ps

your photo's are very good particularly the eagles (i did not read the article but i am guessing they are Golden Eagle)
    the only eagles i have seen was on a visit to scotland they are amazing