Bought on a whim

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Endorphine88, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Endorphine88 macrumors 6502

Endorphine88

So I had a moment today and totally drove to apple on my lunch break and got the 42mm LTE nike watch - total impulse purchase. I hated the first ever watch and to this day it's the only Apple product I have ever returned. I gotta say, so far I am impressed and I'm glad they fixed almost every issue the initial watch had.
    It's much more responsive and functional. I do wish some iteration of Touch ID was available instead of a passcode (I refuse to use one) but I understand that's tough to accomplish with so little space on a gadget.
    I mainly want to be able to leave my phone behind at the gym and rely on this to use apple music. We'll see how that works, but so far I am really happy and doesn't seem like I'll be returning this one.

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

When the first Apple Watch launched, it’s main concern was that it was slow with loading applications with the Processor. With the Series 3, it’s very much the same as the first generation Apple Watch, but with a much faster dual core processor and the battery improvements, it opened up the Watch nicely. The Experience is much more refined when navigating through the Apple Watch, opening applications, the battery life you can easily achieve over two days depending your settings/usage.

With LTE, I don’t like to carry my iPhone with me all the time as large as it is, LTE gives you the advantage of not being tethered to your phone directly and you can stream your music directly from Apple Watch to the AirPods if you want.

3. Dwood1970 macrumors regular

I got one too and love it. Interested in why you don't want to use the passcode. It's basically there just to keep your watch locked when you don't have it on. You can have it auto-unlock when you use touch id on your phone once you put it on.

4. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

Just use the setting that detects your wrist once you have put the code in/unlocked with phone it’s unlocked until you take it off again

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Using a PIN code is for your security. It is wise to make use of it. And as @danny842003 said, you don't have to enter the code again unless you take the watch off, which shouldn't be too often during the day, if at all.

Glad you like your new watch. I have two SB SS S3 LTE watches and really like them a lot.

6. Kyle76 macrumors regular

Kyle76

I totally misunderstood the passcode when I got my watch. I thought that, like the phone or iPad, you had to enter it over and over. It’s really simple, just punch it in one time when you put the watch on. Apple Pay makes it totally worth it.

7. Endorphine88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Endorphine88

Thanks guys. I totally thought I would have to punch in the code every time instead of just once! Added it now so I can use ApplePay too :)

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Mind if I ask why? I can't even justify the cost of one SS let alone two of the same model.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I did it so that I can always have one charged and ready to use, as I use a lot of battery streaming music and using GPS and heart rate monitoring when running. That way, I can swap one for the other after my training and continue on with my watch day.

10. John Yester macrumors newbie

John Yester

Man, I have one SSSB Series 3, I can top it off with in minutes of showering, I see no need to two, but hey, if you got the funds.

11. Dwood1970 macrumors regular

I'm the same way. I charge mine in the shower and for a little bit before I go to bed. I wear mine at night as a sleep monitor and I'm never below 50%

12. Endorphine88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Endorphine88

Can you recommend some apps for sleep monitoring? I usually take it off before bed. Back when I had the series 1 I found it uncomfortable to wear while I sleep and couldn't really keep it on at night (I twist and turn a lot and there's dogs in bed with me) but I wanna try it again.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I also have two of the same model. Both the black stainless and regular stainless. I just like having the different casings and pairing with different bands. Both look stellar in their own respect.

14. newellj macrumors 604

I like AutoSleep a great deal. My wife does, too, and she comes at apps from a very different place, so that says something about that app. The companion app, HeartWatch, is a usefully different way to slice and dice the HR data, too. I wear the watch 23/7 and have no comfort issues, but FWIW I wear a Nike band with the perforated straps.

--- Post Merged, Feb 22, 2018 ---
    What sort of battery life do you get?

15. BasicGreatGuy, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

When doing what i spoke of, (GPS, HR monitor, streaming music, I might get a few short calls on the run) I get about 4.5 hours. Sometimes a little more.

16. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

I can also recommend auto sleep. Previously I used pillow but it was a bit of a pain to set up.
    I had an unexpected nap the other afternoon and AutoSleep seemed to track it perfect.

17. cmbauer macrumors regular

cmbauer

The only issue I have found with this is if I have a passcode enabled and I am working out and I have to put on wristwraps then I take the watch off and it locks, which then pauses the workout. I have been battling this for awhile. I had to take Apple Pay and passcode off so that I could workout

18. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I have a Series 3 edition (white), SBSS and a series 0 SS, oh yeah a silver nike.
    the
    Mood changes.
    They all look different and look different with the same band.
    I do have problems which on I grab in the morning.

The nice thing is when I look at any of them, they all have the same information.

19. Ffosse macrumors 68000

I've been using my AW more lately, and I really appreciate its inbuilt GPS (just the 3rd gen. w/out LTE) and the ability to access my playlists. Battery isn't a problem like it once was on the original.

It makes a great adjunct to my iPhone when I carry both together.

20. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68020

Leaving your phone at home will be a selling point as it works great. Love it.

21. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I get having multiple watches with different finishes. I only questioned that person because they have two in the same finish, which also happens to be the most expensive finish (at least it was upon initial release; I don't follow the pricing these days). Seems like it would make more sense to buy a second charging cable if battery longevity is the concern.

22. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Congratulations and we (macrumors Watch owners) know you'll fully enjoy this purchase!

You do realize that TouchID/FaceID has always been enabled. after a passcode right?

I think in the future once the watch is paired after maybe a week would know our specific rhythm range and would unlock within both distance from the iPhone and from our heartbeats. Who knows.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 22, 2018 ---
    Although I'll shower at night when it's super hot in the summer or gym night, I keep the watch on, if loose, to clean it. I wear it during sleep for sleep monitoring (insomnia) yet I do charge it in the morning when I eat and shower, cleaning it just before I fully start my day.

PS: Anyone else notice an odd 'residue' on your wrist from black sports/nike+ bands?

23. Dwood1970 macrumors regular

I also recommend AutoSleep. That's what I use. You don't have to tell it when you go to bed or when you wake up. It automatically starts and stops.

24. AtomicGrog macrumors regular

Interesting comment regarding battery life (4 1/2 hours). I don't use mine for running, never for phone call, yes for heart rate and streaming for a few hours a day (from internal storage, I have a LTE watch but no plan) and I get approx 3 days battery life.

Surprised the running makes such a difference.. does it enhance the metrics gathering? or is it simply the calls? (Suspect so...).

Am not however wedded to the idea of 'watch only' for my services (yet). Watch alone for email/messaging etc. is ineffective and probably reflects my true MVP.

25. newellj macrumors 604

AutoSleep really works as advertised. Neither my wife nor I do anything other than get into bed...no fussing with the phone or watch. I hate to say this, but...it just works. ;)