Bought rMBP last weekend; can I return?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fontane, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Fontane macrumors regular

I picked up a nice 13 inch rMBP last weekend. If a refresh comes out Tuesday, I'm still in the 14-day return window. Can I return this model and take a new one home?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes. That's what the 14-day return window means.

3. Fontane thread starter macrumors regular

I figured, but wasn't sure if there had to be a technical reason to return it. I read the Apple site but wanted to make sure before wiping and packing it up.

4. Ifti macrumors 68000

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can return for any reason, including just changing your mind. There's no need to return it now, unless you want to. Anytime within the 14 day period is fine.

6. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Not necessarily true that the refreshed model will be available in stores Wednesday if announced Tuesday. Return ASAP.

7. Fontane thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I can at least wait until Tuesday to see if Apple releases a new rMBP.

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

True... I never really considered the possibility of them not releasing one at all.

9. Xerotech macrumors 6502

Haha, yeah, I would definitely wait.

10. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

You actually have 30 days to exchange it in a store for a newer model of the same item.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Please post a link to that information, as the only thing I'm aware of is the 14 day return policy. The 30 day return applies to iPhones, not Apple notebooks.

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund#policy

12. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

That's for returns and refunds. That's for saying "I changed my mind, I don't want your product."

This is "hey, I just bought your product, and now it's better. Can I have the better one?"

An Apple representative told me by phone that there is a 30 day period in which you are eligible to get the upgraded version if an item you bought got an upgrade right after you bought it.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I said, please post a link. I wouldn't take the word of a single Apple employee, as many times they are wrong. Only official statements from Apple are reliable. The stated policy does not specify any reason for the return, whether it be simply changing your mind or exchanging it for another model.

14. Harrycooke macrumors 6502

Harrycooke

Yeah, that's not true. I asked an online Apple Rep about this very situation a little while ago. The only return option is the 14 day window. After that, you can recycle it through them.

15. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

Well if I came into the store 20 days after a purchase, and explained what I had been told by phone, and still had my MacBook Pro sealed and unopened in its box, they would let me exchange it.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correction: They might exchange it. Then be under no obligation to do so, and it really depends on which Apple employee you talk with. They just as easily could tell you they apologize for the misinformation you were given, and refuse to exchange it, sine the policy states 14 days, not 30. Therefore, it's not advisable to lead people to believe 30 days is applicable, only for them to find out that isn't true. Some Apple reps have been known to make exceptions and bend the rules from time to time, but you should never count on that.

17. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

Actually an employee is a representative of the company. If he told you that's what they would do, then they would have to honor it. You would have to prove it with a recording, email or something like that though. You cant just say that's what they told ya. You have to prove it.

The rest of your statement is correct. Don't count on it.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple is not bound by what an individual misinformed employee may say. Their return policy is publicly stated, and that is what they are obligated to honor. Many companies have employees who make false statements. A company is not obliged to honor everything said by its employees, especially when statements are made in conflict with the company's written policy.

Apple reps are sometimes given the latitude to make some concessions to keep customers happy, but those instances are not by Apple's obligation if they run counter to written statements of policy.

19. KingPush macrumors newbie

I was in your shoes. I purchased the maxed out RMBP from Apple on Oct. 3rd or 4th. Returned it the other day and purchased it from a third party store today.

If Apple announces the Haswell rMBP this week, I'll have a machine to hold me off until it releases as I have until November 2nd to return it.

20. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

A sales rep is a representative of a company. If he tells you something to make the sale then they have to honor it. It would have to be in writing or a recording. You have to prove it, but they indeed have to honor it. I see court cases on similar occurances every once in a while and every time the Plaintiff had proof of what he was told, he won. It doesn't matter what the policy is. A representative changes that policy when he tells you different. You just need to prove it.

Its a matter of a contracts case. The contract can say whatever it wants on the back of the receipt for instance. If you get the employee to write on the receipt that you have 30 days ... then they have to honor that.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is simply false. A mail room clerk or janitor can write down that a car dealership will sell you a new Mercedes for $50, but the company is in no way obligated to honor that, as the employee does not have the authority to make such an offer. The same is true for any company in the world. An employee making unauthorized statements or promises does not obligate the company in any way. Employees have been fired for such. If such statements obligated the company, complete chaos would ensue, as employees could be bribed to make any statement that harmed the company and benefited the one paying bribes.

22. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Return it for a full cash refund on tuesday assuming its still within that 14 day period. With the upgrades possibly coming the 22nd, that isnt a guarantee that they will be available at that date in stores. I would suggest get your money back then, and order online after they upgrade the line.

23. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

A mail room clerk and a janitor don't sell products. Sales people do. There is quite a bit of difference between two people in cahoots, and sales guy trying to make a sale. Again, a salesman is a representative of the company. If it is proven that he said something to make a sale then it has to be honored. If it is not honored then it is fraud. Im sure the employee would get fired for being incompetent.

I see these court cases. Believe what you want though. Its fine. Im not trying to get into an argument here.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Links, please.

25. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

Just look up auto fraud or bait and switch. Same practice applies. You cannot promise someone something and not live up to it. Again, it wont make a difference if you cant prove it. Don't have time right now, but I would be happy to provide you some links later on.