Bought Storm

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maclver, May 13, 2009.

1. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Ok last night we went out and bought two blackberry storms! I was just getting tired of the bill at AT&T... Honestly I was kinda excited, I happen to like blackberry that is what I had before my Original iPhone... But since the 1st iPhone was released i have grown to love it and decided to get rid of it was one of the hardest "tech" things I have had to do. So we get to Verizon and purchase two storms... get them activated and go home. Here is were it gets good. I pull out my newest phone purchase and I dove right in.... My first tap.. nothing.... my second tap... nothing.. 4 seconds later FINALLY the ability to see all my applications.

Oh ok maybe its just slow because its updating "over the air" lol?! I open my macbook pro and go to blackberry.com to see my syncing options and download pocket mac.. plug my blackberry in and humm sync failed. tried it again.. sync failed.. Ok so I began searching for a reliable syncing solution and I found missing sync! Great 39.99 not to bad but hold up.. You can only use the application on one computer.. so im not decided not to spend 80 bucks on a app! So i sit there 3 hours into my purchase with nothing synced and my blackberry going slow as hell.

I decided to go bed and mess with it in the morning, I plugged my blackberry in to charge and humm it just shuts off. so I pull the battery and try again.. turns off again. Thats it! I had just come to the realization that I made a big mistake and I called AT&T and asked them to reverse the cancelation of my account and they did with no problem. SO the real fun begins I went to verizon this morning to return my crappy purchase, and the guy had the audacity to say if you have a problem syncing with your mac just install windows!?!??! and the best comment yet " The blackberry storm is built to run slow" "so the lag you are experiencing is completely normal" I said well ya ok just return my purchase and cancel my contract and ill be on my way......

So I have learned a major lesson here. the iPhone is by far one of the most advanced mobile devices out there. other companies have a long long way until they will have the ability to compete with the iPhone. I just found it amazing that all the blackberry people were complaining that the iPhone lacked basic functions, but its funny because the Blackberry storm lacked function.

2. taran420 macrumors 6502a

3. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

Better! :mad:

4. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

Wow, really and they make it look so pretty on TV :eek:. I glad I'm a true Mac Geek. The lesson you learned last night, is the learn I learned when I unboxed my 1st gen iphone back in 2007!!! I'm hooked!!!!!!

5. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

Yeah, I don't know. It still amazes me that people buy phones other than the iPhone. I mean, at this point, why bother?

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wow

Wall of Text hits you for 9999 damage.

Nice that this thread isn't about how great the Storm is.

7. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

is there really threads on here about how great the storm is

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unfortunately for blackberry, the storm is a dog of a device. I was scoping out the device and couldn't believe how clunky, slow and buggy it was.

9. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

I was trying to decide between a BB Bold and an iPhone (To replace my bottom-line Samsung slider), I think I have my answer. :)

10. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

I suppose it's different for each person. I didn't find the Storm to be that bad at all.

Granted, it's not as slick and sleek as the iPhone and it's OS, but it's not entirely bad. Although, I doubt I would ever buy one.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I dunno, the blackberry bold is very different from the Storm, it is much more capable. If you really need a good email/business phone go with the Bold.

12. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Good write up. Although I think you had a crap device, I am certain there isn't another device that will surpass the iPhone. The AppStore alone, with ALL the companies getting on board says we have a lot to look forward to. I left a BB Pearl/Bold to get iPhone. I then tried the Instink. I stayed away from iPhone simply due to the higher cost in service..Now I have this thing, I will never get rid of it. This is by far the best and most advanced device I have owned in terms of a phone, even lacking all the features 3.0 is going to bring.

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree - don't judge the Bold based on the Storm. That said... get the iphone. :)

14. osin macrumors 6502

Blackberry is good with multitasking but sucks when connected with Mac's. As of today there is no good application to replace a PC version of RIM's software - for syncing, backing up etc.

Right now I'm trying to restore my Blackberry Curve to default settings because that supposedly awesome app called Missing Sync 2.0.2 screwed up my phone badly...
    When done I'm going back to PocketMac for syncs wit iCal and Address Book and my PC for the backups...

15. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Even if I didn't have a Mac, it's still annoying to sync non-iPhone phones to the computer. When I was syncing my Motorola to my WinXP PC, it was a PITA. :eek:

16. Shabbis macrumors regular

My boss at work has a Storm and half my team has iPhones, we are always talking about new applications and games we are always downloading and enjoying. He has nothing good to say about his Storm and then mentioned "when the iPhone gets Exchange support, I'll purchase one", we all yelled "the iPhone has supported it since 2.0, did they not tell you this at the Verizon store? Oh, of course not!"

I've also noticed he's been sending a lot more work related emails from his storm because his emails now have a ton of misspellings.

After seeing what the iPhone truly offers in person, he said he is going to switch when 3.0 comes out.

17. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I agree that the Storm is crap but the Bold, at least when comparing to other BB's, is actually pretty good. I still like the iPhone better though. :D

18. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

well because some people want flash for their browser or sling over 3G or a network that actually works

19. The General macrumors 601

20. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

One of my students has the Bold and I honestly couldn't imagine living with the thing...

He's on his third one due to the trackball sticking and what do ya know...this one's sticking too!

21. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

That's a good story. I was thinking about the Storm before I went to at&t for the iPhone, but I am so glad I didn't.
    Sometimes I think we need to do this to see what we really have. The old saying is true, "you don't know what you go til it's gone".

22. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

The BB Storm is a piece of crap, if you get a BB get a bold, they are much better, and cooler looking;)

23. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

I honestly didn't realize how fast the iPhone was until I had the storm..... Im really excited to see what apple has up their sleeve for 3.0

24. slapppy macrumors 65816

Yet BB are still selling like hotcakes. As crappy as it is, it hasn't slowed down. People are buying them despite the iPhones superior UI and build.

25. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

That's true - if checklist features are your thing, the iPhone probably isn't the best choice. The network stuff isn't of course an iPhone thing (my iPhone 3G works great and always has, but I don't use AT&T) ... ;)