bought unlocked att iphone 6s can I use with tmobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sossity, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I may have made a mistake, but I recently bought an unlocked iphone 6s with att as the carrier, but it has no sim card, could I use this and activate with tmobile? would it be fully functional and use all of tmobiles bands? in the ebay description it says it was unlocked.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

All of T-Mobile's bands? Not sure. Most of them, probably. But yes, you can use an AT&T phone on T-Mobile. They are both GSM.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

yis there a way to determine if it is locked?

5. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Put a T-Mobile sim in it. If it connects to the network you're good to go, if it pops up an error its locked.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.
    Only real way to tell is to stick a T-Mobile sim in.

7. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I posted earlier that I bkught an iphone 6s and I got a tmobile sim card I popped out the att one for the tmobile, got activation required message.

is there a way to unlock it and use with tmobile, I think it is possible since they are both gsm.

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

10. aneftp macrumors 68040

If it's full price purchase. U gotta know someone with att service who has nano sim phone (iPhone 5/5s/6/6s) Moto X, Galaxy s6, note 5 etc. just ask to borrow their nano sim for 5 minutes to activate it.

Or just use att unlock request.

If it's subsidized att iPhone 6S than u cannot unlock it.

11. tuffigirl macrumors newbie

Sometimes all it takes to unlock it is a restore... restore it with iTunes with the T-Mobile sim in it and if you get a "this phone is now unlocked" message you're good to go. If you don't get that message you didn't buy an unlocked on as you stated earlier and could return it and buy an unlock code as suggested.

12. chestvrg macrumors 65816

Also if you want full access to all the Tmobile bands, including band 12 (700mHz), you'll need the A1688 model. Chances are that since you got the att version, it will not have support for Tmobile new band 12.

I got my 6S for Tmobile (I use Tmobile). And I made sure we asked the Apple genius it was the A1688 I needed.

13. terraphantm macrumors 68040

False. A1633/4 has band 12. The only difference is it also has band 30

14. barondebxl macrumors 6502

barondebxl

Question guys, can I buy a sprint 6s plus full price at the Apple Store to get it to work on AT&T?

15. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I'm not sure the sprint ones are unlocked when you pay full price. And even if it is, it'll be missing band 30

16. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

It should work as all full price iPhones are unlocked. As long as you are going to pay full retail for it, why not purchase the AT&T model? This will also be unlocked and have the extra Band 30.

17. barondebxl macrumors 6502

barondebxl

Cause it's not available for pick up at my local Apple Store. I'll wait

18. chestvrg macrumors 65816

Yes it should work. I got a Tmobile version A1688 and I'm thinking about exchanging it for an unlocked version (sim free), A1633

19. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried it and unfortuneatly it did not work, I had to request an unlock code from att, and it was denied because the phone was still in contract.

so now I am stuckwith a phone I cannot use with tmobile.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So you did not buy an unlocked AT&T iphone like you stated above.
    You bought a locked AT&T iphone.
    Contact the ebay seller and ask for your money back or have him unlock it either by contacting AT&T or paying for an IMEI unlock.

21. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am in an ebay case now, the seller has replied that they do not take refunds, granted, that was in the original listing of seller does not take refunds, but it was listed as unlocked, and they said since the phone ws new sealed in a box. I have had the phone for week since buying it, but it took over a week for the tmobile sim card to arrive in the mail for me to try it.

so now I have the option of letting ebay step in to reslove the case.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The seller can claim whatever he wants.
    Its item received not as described. You bought an unlocked iphone and its not unlocked.
    Pretty clear. Contact ebay and paypal.
    Having it for a week doesn't make it right to falsely advertise.
    You will get your money.

23. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

ebay has offered for me ask ebay to step in if the seller and cannot come an agreement by oct 17

should I ask for an imei unlock from them?

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Ask for $60-70 partial refund from the seller so you can purchase an IMEI unlock. If he doesn't want to play ball then you will have to stick with the dispute as item not as described and receive a full refund. Then you will have to ship back the device back to the seller with trackable mail with signature confirmation to cover your behind.

25. chestvrg macrumors 65816

Hello guys I posted yesterday I had gotten me an iPhone 6S model A1688 for Tmobile, but now that the unlocked SIM free version has come out I changed my mind and will go most likely today to exchange it for a SIM free model (I already have a reservation at an Apple Store 1 hour away)