Boy-Genius review of Pre-- not looking great IMO

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pugnut, May 28, 2009.

1. pugnut macrumors 6502a

The Pre feels really good in your hand in terms of size and shape, but there’s a real plasticky aura about it. Additionally, things aren’t looking good for that QWERTY either. And hey, you know we take them keyboards seriously! When you try and type on the top row of keys, your finger hits the bottom part of the front piece and on top of that, you often hit multiple keys at the same time while typing. It’s actually really frustrating and doesn’t bode well for such a fantastic social communication/personal/business tool.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

People have complaints about the iPhone's virtual keyboard, too. The rest of their early comments seem pretty positive.

Let's wait for the full review, shall we?

3. pugnut thread starter macrumors 6502a

The compact keyboard and lack of space will be a huge issue. First impressions are significant. No mater how long one takes to review it si not going to make the feel of the device any different and the keyboard majically have more space to operate in.

Not to mention the inability to surf the web and be on the phone at the same time. For al teh bitching about multitasking that would be seem to me to be the biggest issue for multitaksers. Being on a conf call and checking out the web and other informaiton is critical imo.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think it'll all come down to apps. The iPhone didn't really blossom until the developer kit opened it up to non-jailbreakers. The Pre has no real developer access except to what is, in essence, an off-line browser. Once the OS incorporates a better developer kit and application store, I think it'll be competitive. I love my iPhone, but some keys would be nice. I miss tactile feedback, and for use as an actual phone or texting device, my Nokia E71 is superior. But... the iPhone has the apps and the brain-dead-easy app store access.

I don't think the Pre's form factor will turn off any more people than it will turn on. Ultimately, I think it'll all come down to apps. People don't have phones anymore. They have little computers that also let them make calls.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    The same was said about the first iPhone on EDGE. Heck, I said it too. So I agree with you.

But it has turned out not to be a deal-breaker for buyers of the first iPhone, the second iPhone outside of 3G coverage, or all the millions of EVDO users. So much for our preferences. :rolleyes:

And users can still multitask, they just need local data copies of their calendar or info, and/or WiFi access at the time.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Interesting. Physical keys are a huge downside IMO. I have a bb curve and an iphone, and I'm probably close to twice as fast typing on the iphone. The iphone's virtual keyboard is just so fast and effortless.

If the Pre's keyboard is not only physical but sub-par, that would be a big blow. Of course, it would also depend on whether it were something you could get used to.

7. jutte64 macrumors regular

i checked out the pre's website, and watched the little demo videos on there. the functions and alerts and everything through the home screen looked good. then i started looking at more pictures and say the mini key board and right away knew i wouldnt buy it for that reason alone. it looks like one of the key boards right off a blackberry. and i doubt the predictive text and spelling correction of it is nowhere near the iphones. i have worked for several cell company and have owned alot of phones, the predictive and corrective text on the iphone is by far the best! and now that i have the beta with the landscape board i wont buy another phone unless it has a landscape size keyboard weather touch screen or slide out!

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I think you're all missing something here...

The reason why Android is a bust so far is because it's only available on one device that is really bad - the G1. It doesn't matter about the OS and how great it could be if that device is awful. This is what's going to happen to the Pre: if you can't type on the device without major issues then it's a bust.

It doesn't help that it feels plasticy, either. This is a cheap, poorly engineered device.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'm not sure that's fair or accurate. Wasn't the G1 the fifth best selling smartphone in the last quarter? And it's only on t-mobile, which isn't the biggest carrier.

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Because there aren't many other options with T-Mobile and if you want Android that's the only place to go and get it. Doesn't mean that it's a good device. Have you used one? It's a terrible device - the feel, the chin, the keyboard, the screen...all bad.

I don't remember what the number of units sold was, either, but it wasn't all that much.

11. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Palm is releasing another WebOS device before the end of '09, and it will be on AT&T and Sprint for sure, perhaps Verizon too. AT&T stated the other they they'd love to have a Pre on their network after Sprint's exclusivity is up.

The keyboard issue is something of an opinion for everyone, in the end you can't judge a keyboard until you mess with it yourself. I know lots of people who'd never use a touch keyboard again, and a few who never want a physical keyboard again. It's all just a matter of opinion. I personally had no problem with the Centro's keyboard, so I'll give this one a try.

12. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

This is not correct at all. The G1 was the 5th best selling smartphone last quarter behind three blackberries (which are available on all carriers) and the iPhone.

http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_090504.html

13. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

And? That's not that impressive when you consider that the BlackBerrys are sold on multiple carriers. The G1 is a bit of a bust.

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I guess that depends on your point of reference. Compared to the iphone? Yes. Compared to the Instinct? No.

Personally, I've not used one and really don't care whether it does well or poorly, but it sounds like it's selling Ok but not great.

15. pavvento macrumors 6502

Doesn't it make it MORE impressive that a phone tied to a single carrier is in the top 5? Clearly a phone (or phones) available on multiple carriers SHOULD sell more, just as the blackberries did.

16. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

To be fair, that is not the only reason the G1 did not take off. I think the biggest reason would be T Mobile. I live in one of the largest eastcoast cities in the US and T Mobile still doesn't have 3G around here. For many, the G1 is not an option because T Mobile is not an option. And anyways, if you compare G1 sales to sales of the original iPhone, it's not doing horribly.

17. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Of course they did. And I'm sure it will keep more than one person from switching to Sprint, whether it happens or not.

18. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Especially when this phone is tied to the smallest, least developed network in the country. That is very impressive.

19. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Pre Build ?'s

They say it feels plasticy, it makes me wonder:
    1. What will happen when a plastic pre is dropped?
    2. What is the touch screen made of? Glass? That thing looks like it will get scratched to hell.

20. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

The same can be said about the iphone since only at+t has it...

Wow u apple fanboys are amusing. Your prior post called the g1 a "bust" yet you do not know how many units it has sold so far... :rolleyes: I have read that it has sold over 1 million units, which isn't too shabby...

21. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

The original iPhone sales were never "great" compared to the sales of the 3G. As everyone loves to point out when talking about the iPhone's lack of basic features, the iPhone is in it's infancy. Well, Android is even greener. Give it time, just like we gave the original iPhone time and patience.

22. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Of course..you are correct. But sound reasoning does not exist for the fanbois... :rolleyes: While g1 has its flaws, it is selling well. The g2 (e.g. htc magic) looks pretty nice as well. As more android based fones roll out this year, the google OS could become a major competitor...

23. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

How is this different than the iPhone? It's also made of glass and we all love it.

As for the OP, why post the first paragraph but not the glowing second paragraph?

24. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

1 million is pretty ****** when you compare it to how many units the iPhone sold as well as compared to other smartphones. So, Android fanboy, get walking. Yea, sure, the OS is green but as long as the devices are not fun to use it doesn't matter. Same thing goes for BlackBerrys.

25. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

The same question can be given to iphone if it is dropped. Thus you should get a case for both fones if u are concerned with dropping it... And there have been many posts here about the iphone's screen scratching...