iPhone Brag about how far jailbreaking has come

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AnotherBrian, Aug 31, 2012.

1. AnotherBrian macrumors regular

Jailbreaking has come a long way! So I emailed At&t an got my iPhone 4s unlocked, it's not under contract because I bought it with a different line on my account (so they unlocked it).

I get the email that says to restore it, so I get home make sure pkg backup is backed up, iTunes backup is backed up and the springboard layout in springtomize is backed up. I hit restore, ran absinthe, restored from backup in iTunes, ran pkg backup from cydia and my phone was just like it was before restoring it except now it's unlocked. This was all done in a little over a hour. It was never that easy in previous years, I remember having to set up all my tweaks, layout and activation methods that would take hours and still wouldn't be perfect for a couple of days. I have quite a few jailbreak apps with widgets and many tweaks to the springboard.

Just wanted to thank the jaibreak community for making it so easy now.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did you know you could just deactivated it with redsnow or SAM and then stick the sim in and plugged it to itunes?
    It would have just activated unlocked on itunes and all your stuff would still be there without a restore.
    That's how far jailbreaking has come:D
    lol

3. AnotherBrian thread starter macrumors regular

Nope sure didn't but either way it's a lot easier now when things go wrong with your jailbreak. It pretty much did it all on it's own anyway just took a little longer.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    I hear you on that.
    Life is always better with a JB iphone:)

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I disagree. I recently jailbroke for the first time in a few years. Jailbreaking itself is very easy, but the apps available that are cydia-only are still such crap that it makes jailbreaking a waste of time. Look at Cydia itself. It's an absolute disaster. How is it still SO bad? Could you imagine if the App Store was that disorganized giant mess of scrolling lists and so difficult to text search?

Most apps that I've tried are things that will change my workflow. I was excited to try out different task switcher apps on my new iPad in the Cydia store. They are all crap. Multifl0w, Dash, CardSwitcher all come to mind. They are slow, crash often, and don't work like a proper iOS app should. They don't do simple things like switching to landscape when the iPad is rotated. They have status bars for each app all showing different times even though they claim to "live update". They crash the springboard. I also tried Quasar. Another app that feels like a 0.1 release. Every jailbreak-only app i've tried with the exception of LockInfo and BiteSMS has been an utter disappointment.

Sure, the little tweaks are nice. Navigate to Maps comes to mind. SBSettings is really nice. But on the whole the Cydia store seems to be plagued with software whose main feature is that it's rebellious enough to not be allowed on the App Store while the function/polish of the app comes in a very distant second.

It seems the jailbreak community has come to accept a level of quality in apps that is exceedingly low for the sake of saying "Look at what I can do!!!". It's a shame because there are some really great ideas out there.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

Ok thanks for your opinion and have a nice life.

7. Maverik3 macrumors 6502

If they don't work.....then don't install them....? And people that create apps don't get paid massive amounts from apple, they do it on their own time which is why most of them are unpolished. I think it's quite impressive what they can accomplish. Just because you didn't know how to use your jailbreak or to lazy to do some research about some tweaks/apps doesn't mean that jalbreaking and the tweaks/apps in cydia are a waste

8. sagar4995 macrumors 6502a

sagar4995

i sort of agree with you there. jailbroke a few weeks back, ive got some really beautiful themes that i love to look at, but other than free themes and tweaks here n there cydia looks extremely messy and all the good stuff is paid. now im fairly new n i jailbroke thinking ill be gettin a lotta cool stuff for free... cant help but feel a bit disappointed in cydia, but then again, very happy with the themes n been playing around with them. is there an alternative to cydia that i dont know about or is cydia like a 1 stop shop after jailbreak (like app store)?

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Jailbreak apps and hacks can't be that bad.

Otherwise Apple wouldn't have incorporated so many of them into iOS over the years.

10. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

I see cydia as more of a search engine for apps... yeah its not great but how much easier is it to use cydia then having to add the .deb file to the phone manually?

Come on.... cydia doesn't have have the budget behind it like the app store does and i think it does a great job... you just need to be a bit tech savvy and do some research before randomly installing everything under the sun

11. Maverik3 macrumors 6502

"like"

12. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Not quite sure why you took such offense to my post. Guess it's just a typical jailbreak fanboy response.

You're missing the point. I'm not pissed off or annoyed with Cydia devs, demanding that they do better, i'm just commenting on the state of things. I'm not saying that they should be better; i'm simply saying the quality off apps is lower. I understand fully why this is, but that doesn't mitigate the simple fact that the apps are of lower quality. It's unfortunate because i'm sure if things like Quasar were allowed on the real App Store it would be much better.

Cydia is a disaster. It would be nice if their were a reasonable alternative.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There are a lot of great packages on cydia and there are tons of crappy and buggy ones too. Its up to the user to research and find out what works with what, read reviews etc...
    You start installing everything there is out there you will have issues.
    Cydia is not a disaster, cydia is the best thing that happened to the iphone.
    Since you're so judgemental you should put out a reasonable alternative and we will all see how well you do.
    Again JB is not for everyone, you dont like it or you're too lazy to do the leg work yourself and then complain like a baby then stay stock.

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It looks like we agree then; Cydia has a fair amount of crapware that needs to be waded through in its very user-unfriendly way in order to find something of value. All I'm saying is it's unfortunate that this is the reality.

But -- you guys should to stop taking things so personally. It ruins the discourse to take offense at things which are not aimed at you. It's quite childish.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What's childish is insulting and talking down to countless of hours of hard work and dedication people in the JB scene put out there to make this happen. Saying things like cydia is a disaster? Without cydia we'd be stuck with just the appstore and no way to customize or change anything on our devices unless Apple approves it.
    You get people like you that expect things to be perfect or feel entitled to something for nothing and are too easy to judge.
    Cydia is like a browser. Anyone can put out anything they want out there, even malicious code, just non working apps that havent been updated for years, useless apps and try to charge an arm and a leg for them etc....

16. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Not wanting to incur the wrath of Labman (especially as a fellow "Lab man" and owner of two black Labs!), but I have often in the past flirted with jailbreaking, enjoyed it for perhaps a day or two, but then restored.

Why?

I just felt "dirty". I always had this niggle in my mind, that something was in there, rogue code that shouldn't be, which while also giving me nice little features (Zephyr, ProTube, iRetiner) could be doing something else or offering a loophole to someone malicious should they wish to go looking for it.

Just me, nothing against those who prefer a JB'en iPhone.

17. bAdNitro macrumors member

bAdNitro

Wish we had a downvote button just for this mess of a post.

I have NO idea what you did that all your apps are crashing. I've been jailbroken for years. Most recently, my 4S on 5.1.1, obviously. In the past 3.5+ years I've been jailbroken, I can count on one hand how many springboard crashes I've had, and they were due to human error. BEFORE you bash the jailbreak community with stupid comments that aren't because of the jailbreak or the apps themselves, TRY this. Do a DFU restore to 5.1.1 and run absinthe or redsn0w FIRST, before putting anything else on your phone. Guarantee the crashes from the "utter disappointing apps" stop.

Not sure why no one can take responsibility and realize that if every app is crashing, then you did something wrong since you're the only common denominator. It's absurd to think that out of the 6+ apps you've mentioned, 4 are messed up. You did something. Dash works perfectly for me. Maybe you shouldn't download apps anymore.

Always remember kids. Jailbreaking is NOT for everyone...

----------

Yes. couldn't have said it better myself

18. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

You seem to be confusing "jailbreaking" with "Cydia". They are not synonymous. I agree that jailbreaking is a wonderful thing to have happened to iOS but I think Cydia is a mess and largely the apps available on there are proof of concepts more than anything that actually functions well long-term (except the apps I mentioned previously).

Look at that fanboy rage :)

19. labman, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

labman macrumors 604

labman

No wrath man hey if you don't like you don't like that's kind of the way I feel. I don't feel dirty because it's my device I don't like being told what I should do with it. I'm also careful about what apps I install and use on my device. I support Apples App store and there Dev's as well as the JB dev's. So I have no reason to feel guilty about what I do. I'm also the type of person that allows others to make up there own mind. however once you do move on let others decide what they want. it seems every time we have somebody excited about jailbreaking we have people running to say it's bad. Scaring the poor newbie of his jailbreak that he was enjoying. I do wish people would do a little reading before they jailbreak. I do wish there was a rating system in Cydia like the app store that way people would know nor buy from hack devs. to me though it's more of a either enjoy jailbreaking or don't it's up to everybody to decide. and you get extra points for realizing my name is about Labradors and not being a lab tech. Oh btw mine are a Chocolate and a yellow lab

20. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

They are currently synonymous, as 99% of people who jailbreak do not have the expertise to make use of the JB without Cydia. (I'm ignoring the browser alternatives)

From the sound of it, jailbreaking does not seem suitable for you. People who tinker with their devices/PCs/cars shouldn't expect a smooth, trouble-free experience. Still, for these people, the benefits outweigh the negatives.

p.s: you're calling people with 3-4 years of jailbreaking experience, fanboys. lol no ****? Why else would I keep doing it? Because I hate it?

21. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Great reply, much appreciated and nice of you to mention your own Labs! :D

I agree that it's unfair when someone new to Jailbreaking is put off by scaremongers. People should be allowed to try out the various benefits of jailbreaking and decide if it's worth it on their own. I mean, don't get me wrong, I adore ProTube, it's everything the stock iOS YouTube app should have been, and hopefully everything the Google standalone app will be (although I doubt remote saving of audio or video will be allowed on the App Store release).

Some other "favourites" from my time Jailbroken, for those who may be new to it, are:

Zephyr is a must if you use the home button double click a lot, it saves wear and tear on your home button and it's a tweak which Apple have no excuse for not including as stock. You can swipe down for Notification Center, but can't swipe up for the multitasking tray? Odd.

Also, NC Settings is a far nicer alternative to SB Settings, and places a very "Apple esque" set of Settings toggles inside Notification Center and doesn't need skinned like SB Settings and looks far more streamlined.

SiriLaunch, for those with a 4S or a 4 using a proxy, adds a little Siri icon button to either the bottom left, right, or centre of Notification Center which again saves wear and tear on the home button if you use Siri a lot.

I'm almost talking myself back into jailbreaking my 4S again, lol!

22. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

MBhockey, any reason you didnt respond to seanwebbs post??

his post is to the point, and makes sense. you cant expect something someone makes in their spare time to be on par with a multibillion dollar company..

i understand that cydia can be overwhelming when you first use it, a bit confusing, and not as graphically pretty as the app store.. but i think cydia is really good for something free.

23. AnotherBrian thread starter macrumors regular

My thing is when I go to Cydia I know what I want and I just do a quick search by the name. Almost all good Cydia apps are reviewed on websites. There is a ton of crap on Cydia just because anyone can make themes and little icons. Basically you should do research on the web before installing anything from Cydia, I very rarely even look through Cydia it's all found on websites I visit. The only time I look through Cydia is in the changes section you can see what has been added each day and if it sounds interesting guess what it will most of the time have already been reviewed on jailbreak sites that day.

There are a ton of good apps out there and a lot are paid apps, and that is fine with me. I don't mind paying for a app that is built good, doing I sometimes buy a crap app sure but most of the time it's updated within a couple of weeks and the conflicts are solved.

And also learn what you need, I don't even have winterboard installed on my iPhone just because I think it's a waist of power but some love it and that's fine. But don't let your iPhone be your master, master it.

But the whole point that I posted the thread is that the jailbreak scene has improved on making reinstalls a ton easier than it was. Hours upon hours saved without a hiccup. I didn't say Cydia was a lot better, to me it's always been about the same maybe a little faster now.

24. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

NCSettings along with PDANet and Powerguard are the reasons I jailbreak.
    Themes are just vanity.

25. bAdNitro macrumors member

bAdNitro

Couldn't have said it better myself lmao. Benefits vastly outweigh the problems, especially since I'm smart.

The only tweaks on my phone are the ones I use daily to get the most out of my device. I'll try new tweaks and apps but if I don't like them, I get rid of them lmao. Its not hard to delete something before looking for another tweak that does the same thing haha