Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2015
now that I have your attention - does anyone give a second thought to the dangers of holding a cell phone up to your brain?

I have a PhD in cellular biology from Syracuse and just want people to remember that research not funded by cell phone companies shows an elevated risk of brain cancer for moderate to heave cell phone usage. Bluetooth is even worse as radiation is going through the ear canal.

Ever read the warnings already coming with your cell phone?

Remember cigarettes were once thought to be safe....

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
now that I have your attention - does anyone give a second thought to the dangers of holding a cell phone up to your brain?

I have a PhD in cellular biology from Syracuse and just want people to remember that research not funded by cell phone companies shows an elevated risk of brain cancer for moderate to heave cell phone usage. Bluetooth is even worse as radiation is going through the ear canal.

You are in the wrong place to spread that nonsense. o_O

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
It's fine, at least we won't die alone. If that's true--everyone will have cancer in twenty years! :rolleyes:

Reactions: kanon14

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/01/06/cell-phone-use-brain-cancer-risk.aspx
...To put this risk ratio into some perspective, just over five people out of 100,000 were diagnosed with malignant brain cancer between 1995 and 2002.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
research not funded by cell phone companies shows an elevated risk of brain cancer for moderate to heave cell phone usage.

Given that the current consensus is that while mobile phone radiation might be carcinogenic there is no convincing evidence proving that it is, you'd better be able to produce links to peer-reviewed studies in reputable journals supporting that. Alternatively you could stop scaremongering...

Reactions: M. Gustave

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

jimmybuk

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
Manchester, UK
I was diagnosed with a type 3 Malignant Oligodendroglioma in Jan 2014 and had Brain Surgery. It was cancerous and I had a tough year last year with Radio and Chemotherapy. Do I believe I got this from using a mobile phone? No! If you read and actually believe everything that "gives" you cancer then you wouldn't do anything with your life! I continue to use my phone and won't stop doing this just because certain people think it will give me cancer.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Everything gives you cancer nowadays. We need to just stop living longer :)

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I was diagnosed with a type 3 Malignant Oligodendroglioma in Jan 2014 and had Brain Surgery. It was cancerous and I had a tough year last year with Radio and Chemotherapy. Do I believe I got this from using a mobile phone? No! If you read and actually believe everything that "gives" you cancer then you wouldn't do anything with your life! I continue to use my phone and won't stop doing this just because certain people think it will give me cancer.

Hate to hear that. Hope you are doing well now!

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2015
I'm very sorry for your diagnosis. However, we do not know what causes cancer - just what increases your risk. If we knew the exact cause we'd be on our way to a cure.

Reactions: k2graphics

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014

Good info. Personally, I use speakerphone in quiet areas or bluetooth in the car. If I'm away from either of those places I normally text back and forth and say I can't chat at the moment. Mostly because I don't talk on the phone like I used to.

Reactions: k2graphics
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.