Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Okay, so i've spent the past two days searching and searching and searching some more for the issue I'm having, but haven't had ANY luck!

Here it goes....

1. I have a 2G iPhone running 3.1.2.
2. It is currently Unlocked running on the ROGERS network in Canada.
3. When i pop in any other SIM, it doesn't recognize them. (Issue #1)
4. A few weeks back (the first time i put in my Rogers sim in it), some of the icons suddenly disappeared from the screen.
5. I've tried everything outlines in these forums and many other forums to get those icons back but no luck. The cydia icon, app store icon are some of the icons that have disappeared.

QUESTION: Any way I can get those icons back?? What do I need to do??

I'm new to the iPhone world, so a step-by-step would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
well lets ask 1st what tools did you use to jailbreak and how are you unlocked? what tool or are you factory unlocked. please tells us what steps you tool so far so we are on the same page! also be helpful if we knew if you were pc or mac!

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
well lets ask 1st what tools did you use to jailbreak and how are you unlocked? what tool or are you factory unlocked. please tells us what steps you tool so far so we are on the same page! also be helpful if we knew if you were pc or mac!

I bought the phone unlocked.
So unfortunately i'm not sure exactly how it was unlocked.

I have a PC and MAC.

I am willing to restore and re-unlock if I can get proper instructions.

Press22

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2010
Las Vegas
Yep just follow those and you'll have a spiffy unlocked iphone. :)
if you run into any problems I'm sure we can help.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Yep just follow those and you'll have a spiffy unlocked iphone. :)
if you run into any problems I'm sure we can help.

Thanks for the support.

I'm just Restoring the new OS on it right now. Let's see how things go after that.

I also wonder how well my "Blackberry" unlimited data plan will work on it...
Will have to change the APN settings on it i'm sure...

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Okay so at STEP 6, i get a "Unable to recognize specified IPSW." message and the "next" doesn't light up....

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
I guess everyone's gone to sleep :(

I'm stuck.

And iTunes keeps saying that a valid SIM cards needs to be in the phone....

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
I found a help thread on Mac Forums with the same issue I was having.

I had my non AT&T sim card in the phone when i did the reset. I'm trying to "restore" it again without the SIM card, but iTunes doesn't give me that option anymore. How do i restore it again??

Sorry, i'm really new to iPhones...

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
I've even tried 3 different versions of Redsn0w now and nothing seems to work....

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You can put your iphone to DFU mode to restore it no matter if you have a sim inside or not.
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034
If redsnow is not recognizing the IPSW make sure when you downloaded it off the net it didnt save it as a zip file. Make sure when you download it the extension is .ipsw or else redsnow wont recognize it and you wont go past that.
redownload again and save it as a .ipsw file

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
You can put your iphone to DFU mode to restore it no matter if you have a sim inside or not.
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034
If redsnow is not recognizing the IPSW make sure when you downloaded it off the net it didnt save it as a zip file. Make sure when you download it the extension is .ipsw or else redsnow wont recognize it and you wont go past that.
redownload again and save it as a .ipsw file

Yeah I've downloaded all three versions of 3.1.3 and none of them seem to work....

I'm going to try what you just stated and reload the OS, this time without the SIM.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Yeah I've downloaded all three versions of 3.1.3 and none of them seem to work....

I'm going to try what you just stated and reload the OS, this time without the SIM.

Even if you restore the iphone OS it doesnt make any difference.
If redsnow doesnt recognize the ipsw it you wont get any further.
Try downloading 3.1.3 again and make sure its saved on the correct format.
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...00202.4orot/iPhone1,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw
Some say they had sucess downloading it using firefox instead of safari but not sure if you have that browser installed.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Okay so that worked. Now it's reinstalling the OS on the phone.

Hopefully this time around it works... I'm tried and have work tomorrow :p

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Okay so that worked. Now it's reinstalling the OS on the phone.

Hopefully this time around it works... I'm tried and have work tomorrow :p

The DFU restore worked but like I said above if you cant get redsnow to go past that step you wont get any further.
If that doesnt work still go with blackrain and then install bootneuter from cydia to unlock it.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The DFU restore worked but like I said above if you cant get redsnow to go past that step you wont get any further.
If that doesnt work still go with blackrain and then install bootneuter from cydia to unlock it.

I'm really hoping this works out though... keeping my fingers crossed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.