Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnnyComeLatly

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
Someone's going to get a cool toy for Christmas. It'd be fun to buy just to see how well you can integrate it with today's "stuff."

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
Amazing! If I didn't have an iMac 15" 700 Mhz I would totally buy it :)

It looks amazing, splendid and brand new... Love it!

----------

Crap!!! I put a bid, just to see how high the bid price was and now I'm the highest bidder!!! NO!!!!!

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Amazing! If I didn't have an iMac 15" 700 Mhz I would totally buy it :)

It looks amazing, splendid and brand new... Love it!

----------

Crap!!! I put a bid, just to see how high the bid price was and now I'm the highest bidder!!! NO!!!!!

Phew!! Looks like some other people took over the title of lead bidder for it.

If you did win it, you could always gift it to me!!!:)

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
Phew!! Looks like some other people took over the title of lead bidder for it.

If you did win it, you could always gift it to me!!!:)

Crap! Not again! I bidded again :'( haha it's so compulsive...

I would but if I do win it, I would use for work. I need a huge screen for coding.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
He does not ship internationally!!! I WOULD PURCHASE THIS. A-ma-zing!

Yes, he does:
Attention all International Bidders:

There has been incredible interest for this machine from overseas. From Australia, Italy, Russia and Japan. I am willing to ship internationally, not sure what my auction officially says, but hope it allows bids from overseas.

My only requirement is that your PayPal payment clears and is good and that you agree to pay for shipping to your country. It is a bunch of extra paperwork on my end but don't mind doing it because of the interest. Maybe this machine will end up in that Mac Museum in Milano.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
He does not ship internationally!!! I WOULD PURCHASE THIS. A-ma-zing!

----------

That price will increase rapidly within these few hours. I estimate this thing to end close to 800-1000 or more..

It is increasing. I do want to bid but I don't know... man too good to let go away... :'(

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Yes, I noticed. Although my customs charges a total of 27.7% extra upon the goods value. So.. It's not funny..

+ international shipping for such a heavy unit will be around 130-140 dollars as well.

Just think about the G4 goodness!

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
Just think about the G4 goodness!

I just got an pristine (bright white, scratchless) condition iMac G4 17" 1Ghz model in with 2GB of RAM. Then, I ordered new harman kardon apple speakers that are on their way. That iMac came from the US as well and was 75 dollars (!) but 125 dollars shipping + 38 euro's customs.

Speakers were around 70 dollars (exc. customs) <-- NEW.

So, as tempting as this is..

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Crap! Not again! I bidded again :'( haha it's so compulsive...

I would but if I do win it, I would use for work. I need a huge screen for coding.

If it were a new late-model PowerBook G4, I'd definitely bid on it, though I don't know how high I'd go. Love those PowerBooks.

As it is, when I got my iBook three years ago, it was clear to me that it was barely used, with a battery that was in great condition. I've kept in good condition, and it often feels as though I'm using a new iBook. I've treated all my Macs well.

Many years ago when I needed to use a Windows laptop, I through it around as I would a textbook.

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
I picked up one of those on eBay earlier this year- same model, which was the most powerful g4 iMac made.

Mine was from an electronics recycler and was in fantastic condition, except for a stress spot on the LCD (can't even see it under most conditions).

Paid $120 for it, including shipping :)

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
So have I. I just scrubbed down my new G5. It's basically to do the design justice!

Yeah, most of them are beauties. That's only one reason why we so often see them in TV shows and films. I was working with a neurologist in the early 90s, and he had his office equipped with a few Mac desktops and the PowerBook 140s and 170s (at a speed of 16MHz!), and later the 180c (33MHz), all operating System 7. I remember being so taken by them and how smart they looked.

Starting with the Kanga PowerBook way back when (Boy did I love that machine!), I was struck by how often I saw product placement for Apple rigs. The later PowerBook G3s, the Cube and, of course, virtually every iteration of the iMac. I went to meet an architect around the year 2000 to help him buy and outfit PowerBooks for his office. His office was aesthetically compelling in the attention to design and detail. And, of course, each work station was fitted with a G4 Cube, including a beautiful polished chrome front desk. A couple of years later, I did consulting at a Montessori School in Manhattan. A few Cubes and several iMacs of various colors, all very nicely and intentionally placed.

Having had the good fortune to have worked with virtually every Mac ever made, it's easy to forget how stunning these rigs were when first introduced.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
I picked up one of those on eBay earlier this year- same model, which was the most powerful g4 iMac made.

Mine was from an electronics recycler and was in fantastic condition, except for a stress spot on the LCD (can't even see it under most conditions).

Paid $120 for it, including shipping :)

Sounds like a great deal. At $72.87, the shipping on this model is pretty steep, but if you gotta have it, you gotta have it.

One of my few Mac-related regrets is having passed on a brand new TAM at a good price about ten-to-twelve years ago. Kid got it from his grandmother or something, and it just sat in his closet. He didn't know what he had and just wanted to make a few bucks.

Only thing I can recall is that I had more than two Macs at the time, and just didn't want to bother with another one. Obviously, the TAM is a work of art and would probably draw a premium if a new one were for sale today, but it also was not well received in terms of power and such at the time. Yet reviews rarely swayed me when I was interested in purchasing a new Mac. In retrospect, just a regrettable decision on my part.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Just bid on it and have been outbid right away. Man, I will watch on how far it would go.

To me, it's fascinating that this is even being offered on eBay. It's possible that the seller set the reserve so high that it won't be sold in this auction. He may just want to get a feel for what buyers' think it's worth, or sell it to one of the many bidders at a higher price than what's offered in the auction after the auction's closed.

In any event, I think this is a good investment. Buy it, keep it in a safe place, then sell it 3 - 10 years later. Or give it to your kids in a few years.

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
I picked up one of these for my partner as a kitchen computer, found it on eBay, contacted the seller and he agreed to end the auction as I was just round the corner. £100! It's in almost new condition, no scratches, marks or fading. Lovley machine.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Wow, it finished for $2700 USD!!!!

:apple::apple::apple:$$$:apple::apple::apple:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-17 at 10.50.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-17 at 10.50.20 AM.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 149
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.