Brand New iPhone 3GS: Jailbreak not working :(

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mademan118, Jan 16, 2010.

1. mademan118 macrumors regular

Well today I went and got my brand new iPhone 3GS. Plugged it in. Followed all the Pwnagetool guides to the T and when I get to the very last part, I got error message 1600, unable to restore. Surfing around I believe that my iPhone can not be jailbroken? Is that the case? iPhone just gets stuck in DFU or recovery mode and have to restore the iPhone with original apple firmware. On the last try I got a completely black screen and the iPhone only came back to life when I restored it with apple software. Any help is appreciated.

Software:
    Baseband: 5.11

I think because I have the lastest bootrom or loader I can not jailbreak as Pwnage tool doesnt support it yet. DAMN! I wanted Proswitcher and Backgrounder :(.. Oh well... just have to wait.

2. NathanA macrumors 6502a

You will have to use Blackra1n and be satisfied with a tethered jailbreak for the meantime. At least you can jailbreak, even if you need to be at a computer to boot up.

-- Nathan

3. mademan118 thread starter macrumors regular

No thanks. That is way to cumbersome. I am a patient person. I just think the guides on this website are very misleading as you can not jailbreak the any iPhone 3GS's, only certain ones purchased within a certain time frame. I am however very thankful for the other information that is provided.

4. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

I haven't found any of the information misleading at all. All iPhones can be jailbroken. The latest needs a tethered jailbreak while all others can do untethered jailbreaks.

It all comes down to the amount of research

5. mademan118 thread starter macrumors regular

correct me if I am wrong, but on the latest boot loader, isn't true you can not boot the phone without a laptop every single time? To me that does not correlate to having and actual true jailbroken phone. I want my phone to be completely independant of my computer as I go days and weeks without ever connecting my phone to my laptop.

Where the guide is misleading is where you pwnage tool does not jailbreak all 3GS, even if you have 3.12 and 5.11. People are having tons of problems with the blackra1n tool.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You are confusing the meaning of a jailbroken phone. The phone is jailbroken, it just won't reboot automatically without assistance due to the newer bootrom chips.

I agree that is a burden, but that does not mean the phone is not jailbroken.

Read these two threads:

Bootrom info

Tethered jailbreak

You can always sell that new phone and buy a gently used 3GS with older bootrom as many have done. Check eBay or Craigslist. I myself purchased two pristine 3GS phones with the old bootrom when Apple decided to modify the bootrom chips.

7. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

good then you can wait half a year then.

also in your other posts, the firmware version isnt 3.12, its 3.1.2

8. skasol macrumors 6502

I have no need to reboot my iphone, I did this over a week ago and it's been fine. It's not as bad as it seems. give it a try. use sbsettings for respring. that usually takes care of any rebooting I need to do. good luck.

9. mademan118 thread starter macrumors regular

Apparently you guys arent aware of people with brand new 3GS's who aren't able to jailbreak using any method out there. With blackra1n all that happens is it goes through the whole process and then the phone boots into recovery mode. Only way out is through the apple software.

So no, you can not jailbreak a brand spankin new iPhone 3GS with the new bootloader or iboot or whatever it is.

10. mademan118 thread starter macrumors regular

Also, this isn't my first iPhone or first time i've jailbroken before. I have had every iPhone and all of them were jailbroken/unlocked.

11. strike1555 macrumors 6502

You clearly have absolutely no idea what you're doing. Stop right and forget about jailbreaking.

Every device right now can be jailbroken, if you can't do it then just give it up...forever. You're the exact kind of person who doesn't know what their doing and ends up being one of the people "hacked" for not changing their SSH password.

12. mademan118 thread starter macrumors regular

Actually yes I do know what I am doing. This isn't rocket science. Get off your high chair. Please do a google search and you will find the following:

- Pwnage tool no longer works

- Blackra1n also does not work. When you go through the whole blackra1n process it acts as if it is working. When it gets to the very end the phone boots into Restore mode or DFU mode. At this point NOTHING can be done execpt restoring the phone using original apple software.

Please, if you are the bearer of the great knowledge on how to JB 359.3.2, please enlighten us and the dev team. the 24kpwn exploit that both Geohost and Dev-team have been using is no longer available.

13. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

well...

I bought my new iphone 3gs yesterday and now i'm afraid to jailbreak it after reading this. Modem firmware is 5.11.07. 3.1.2.(7D11)

I think i'll wait a while and see if any more stories pop up about brand new iphones. I definitely don't wanna brick the iphone.

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You are very wrong. When the phone gets stuck after jailbreaking, all you have to do is run Blackra1n again to boot your phone. Once to jailbreak it, once to boot it. Then again any time you need to boot in the future.

This IS a jailbreak. Jailbreaking means removing the chroot jail which restricts access to system files and directories. ANY device can be jailbroken. Some devices, sadly, will not boot on their own after the jailbreak because the bootloader does a security check to make sure the system hasn't been modified, and there is not yet any way of disabling the security check on the new boot loader. The fact that your phone won't boot doesn't mean it isn't jailbroken; in fact, it is precisely because your phone is jailbroken that it will not boot on its own.

No, no, no! You can run blackra1n again and it will boot your phone. Once to jailbreak it, once to boot it. Then again any time you need to boot in the future. Stop being such a jerk and listen to the people you're asking help of.

15. DaisyLove macrumors newbie

It seems he doesn't know what a Tethered Jailbreak means.

16. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

This is the the quintessential example of why newbies or posters who haven't been keeping up with new developments should never post tech info for about 30 to 60 days. :rolleyes:

Gotta love the "Any help is appreciated" even if OP doesn't mean it.

Except this one (according to you).

17. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Coming from someone that doesn't know what they are doing, hasn't jailbroken multiple phones including the new 3GS and doesn't know the difference between jailbroken and tethered/untethered jailbreaking, this is gonna be wrong, but Geohost doesn't jailbreak, Geohot does ;) And Yes this is the best I could come up with because everyone else has given you the correct information

18. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

dont you just love newbies who think they know what theyre talking about? you cleary have not put much effort into looking up why you need to restore your iphone 3gs after a blackra1n jailbreak. because YOU DONT NEED TO RESTORE. u run blackra1n twice. it made me laugh when u were arguing with that other guy about u knowing what u were talking about. lol.

19. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

thankgod dhlizard and thelatinist got here first.., i felt another Time-Out coming on.

20. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

My Time-Outs are reserved for TheSpaz, not for n00bs with attitude problems.

21. TeamDNA macrumors 6502

OMG dude let me clear this up .. because Everyone else is Right and YOU ARE WRONG..

You CAN jailbreak new iphone TETHERED .. do you know what tethered means?

Ok you run blackra1n yes then it shows its in recovery mode THEN YOU RUN blackra1n again and THE PHONE BOOTS UP.. and your new iphone is jailbroken and you wont have to shut it off if you download sbsettings and free memory and respring

so if your phone does shut off all you do is run blackra1n and it takes like 2 seconds and your phone boots up again ...

RESEARCH before you come on here telling people they are wrong when in fact YOU are

22. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Glad I still have an "old" 3G iPhone. IMHO tethered JailBreak is FAILBreak. Looks like Apple has beat the Jailbreak community on that. The iPhone 3GS has been out for like eight months, and they have not figured out a proper Jailbreak for the 3GS yet?:confused:

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Um, no. The new bootrom came out in October, so, it's been, like, three months.

24. TeamDNA macrumors 6502

No anyone who bought an iphone 3gs before october has a full jailbreak .. anyone who bought after has a tethered ..

again ..people who dont know what they are talking about should be quiet

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, you really are clueless but try to act like you know what you're talking about......