Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hunkster

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2020
Hi,

Just took delivery of an M1 Macbook Air last night. After using it for a few minutes, i had to google how to hard reboot it as the touchpad stopped working suddenly.

But anyway, here's the real question. I'd updated Big Sur to the latest, and closed the lid of the Macbook Air so it can sleep, then I went to bed.

This morning I opened the lid and it turned back on as if I had shut down, ie the Apple logo showed. I was expecting an instant wake up from sleep.

I didn't configure anything.

Is this expected behavior? If so can I set it to not turn off after sleeping?

stevenaaus

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
The hardware may be great, but macOS is a buggy nightmare at the moment.
Send it back and buy a top tier second hand Mac with Mojave.
A new machine should never require hard resets.

Reactions: hunkster

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
Hi,

Just took delivery of an M1 Macbook Air last night. After using it for a few minutes, i had to google how to hard reboot it as the touchpad stopped working suddenly.

But anyway, here's the real question. I'd updated Big Sur to the latest, and closed the lid of the Macbook Air so it can sleep, then I went to bed.

This morning I opened the lid and it turned back on as if I had shut down, ie the Apple logo showed. I was expecting an instant wake up from sleep.

I didn't configure anything.

Is this expected behavior? If so can I set it to not turn off after sleeping?
No that is not the expected behavior. It should wake up almost instantly. It sounds like something may have crashed possibly. Try it again and see what happens.

Reactions: hunkster

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
The hardware may be great, but macOS is a buggy nightmare at the moment.
Send it back and buy a top tier second hand Mac with Mojave.
A new machine should never require hard resets.
New machine or old, those crashes do happen. If it's one time thing then there's absolutely nothing to worry about. If it persists, even then it doesn't mean it's hardware, but yeah it would be best to let Apple have a look at it then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.