Brand new Macbook Pro 15" Unibody Woes.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fab5freddy, Feb 5, 2009.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

I have a brand new MBP 15" unibody and
    am having big problems with keeping Wifi connectivty
    and sleep issues....

when i put it to sleep, it takes 10 minutes to boot up.
    and Firefox has huge issues with staying connected to WiFi.....

And it freezes up too alot !

I am going back to the Apple store to complain !

Anyone else with similar problems ?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Those are called "computer issues" and they happen with any computer line, nothing specific to the unibodies.

3. rhyx macrumors 6502

The problem isn't the laptop. Sounds like you might want to read some documents to educate yourself.

4. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

5. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

Why don't you do a clean installation and see how it turns out? :)

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No one said it would... I just said that your computer may be faulty geesh.

7. SummerBoy macrumors regular

SummerBoy

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why should this thread be closed? Unless he edited it already hes just asking for help, not condemning a line of products.

Id help if I had a macbook to help troubleshoot, srry:(

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Could be an issue with the graphics card as you mentioned sleeping issues and freezing occuring. I assume you have tried swtiching graphics cards to see if it happens when your using either the 9400 or the 9600 card?

Do you know your laptop even has 2 graphics cards?

One of which is used in high graphics mode and another in power saver?

You should also know that within the first 14 days if you arn't completely happy with every little detail of your laptop any Apple store will replace it absolutely for free for you with no questions asked with a brand new laptop..

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Why does everyone seem to make the graphic cards the scapegoat for every computer issue?

11. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its well known with his model of computer the 9600 has issues upon waking the machine from sleep.

12. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

well, i didn't know that and i have this machine.

13. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

It has been three days, you should have been to the Genius Bar by now. If not, you obviously cannot solve your own problems and should just learn to deal with the issues.

14. kolax macrumors G3

"Well known" 9600M sleep issues?

15. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Where have I been??? :rolleyes:

Do a system restore. If that doesn't fix it get an exchange. Next.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

He clearly meant he was having trouble with his MacBook Pro 15" Unibody, as opposed to the older MacBook Pro 15".

fab5freddy, just ignore the first few people who responded. Some people only post here when they're in a crappy mood and need someone to take it out on.....

With regards to how long it takes to wake from sleep, Apple changed the way Macs go to sleep a few years ago, and I don't like it either. It used to take 1 second to wake from sleep, and now it takes a lot longer. Without explaining exactly why they've chosen to do this (there are advantages to Apple's default method), if you want to change HOW your Mac goes to sleep, go to FINDER>Applications>Utilities, and open up the Terminal.

In Terminal, copy and paste the following text:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

If you want to change back to your current sleep mode (i.e. what you have now), copy and paste the following text:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3

17. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Some people on here can be unbelievable. As for the OP since the machine is new i wouldn't even bother trying to fix it, just contact Apple and get an exchange

18. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

What are you talking about? When waking from a normal sleep the machine should only take a couple of seconds to wake up. If the battery dies while asleep or he removes all power from the machine (battery included) then it will do a restore from the HDD. That will take 10-20 seconds depending on how much RAM the machine has. He should stay away from the terminal. If he wants to play with the sleep settings he should try an app like SmartSleep. But like I said earlier, normal sleep operation should quick.

19. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Thank you. The OP shouldn't be flamed because he made a thread about his computer having problems. Goddamn.

20. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

www.apple.com/retail

make yourself a genius bar appointment at your closest store at your convenience.

There's no sense complaining about it, just go have them check it out. You're under warranty and they will fix it for you.

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THAT THEN...

I also agree that doing a clean install, a full format and reinstall of everything could help you tremendously. It solved my video issues that I was having recently w/ my early 08 mbp. I was getting tearing across my screen when scrolling, fonts and pictures would overlap and look garbled.

It wasn't apples fault, it was just a driver or something that was corrupted.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, and it used to take < 1 second, rather than 3-4 seconds. I know that the typical Windows user would see nothing wrong with a wake time of greater than 3 seconds, but once you've lived the good life, you don't want to go back. ;)

Actually, since I changed my sleep mode back to the method used in older PowerBooks, it takes around 0.5 seconds (or noticeably less than 1 second) to wake from sleep, just like it did in the past. :)

I highly suggest doing it, even if you do it from Terminal. Otherwise, there are Dashboard widgets and other apps that can help you choose the mode of sleep you want to use (there are currently 3 modes).

22. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

So it's come down to this? We need to run terminal commands or install widgets/apps so that we can shave a second or two off our wake from sleep times? If you're that short of time, I think it would would be easier to make up that time elsewhere in life. Like making one less post per day on MacRumors or getting out of bed in the morning 30 seconds earlier? ;)

As for the OP, I don't get why he doesn't take his computer back to Apple. At the minimum, call them to see what can be done.

23. ckennel macrumors newbie

15" MBP Unibody Woes - Same Story

I have to agree with Fab Freddy who started this thread. I bought my girlfriend a 15" MBP Unibody and it crashes all the time. I have tried clean installs, disk utility, and messed around with the video cards. I find that running the 9600 video card all the time has helped a bit but she still crashes way more than is acceptable. i cannot seem to pin down the issue. Some people say it is has to do with 3rd party ram but I don't think so. We only have the factory 2GB sticks and we have tons of problems. I am bit shocked because this is a beautiful laptop but it crashes more than ANY mac I have ever had. The Apple Update that came out this week (10.5.7) hasn't been installed yet so maybe that will fix it but on first glance it doesn't seem like it does address these known issues.

24. t-rev macrumors member

I'm in the same boat, I purchased my MBP 2.66 4GB about a month ago and it is has been nothing but problems. It freezes a number of times per day and I have to power it off to get it back. I had the black x over the battery so then sent me a new battery this week and they thought that might help...it hasn't I have been running this next to my wifes 4 year old HP laptop with 1GB RAM and that thing does most of the things faster. I do have another call with Apple Expert this afternoon to see if we can get it resolved. If not I'm hoping we can exchange this one.

25. shipwrecked macrumors member

I have a Unibody 2.4GHz that I love which unfortunately has shown slight problems since day one. I've called Apple Support 3 times since February 2009 for minor issues...that's where the problem lies - most of the issues are difficult to reproduce. Freezing, locking up ( mail, safari, itunes, disk utility ), trackpad response are among the problems I've experienced.

As for your network problems, I've had them too until I set my base station band to 5Mhz, after my network issues were resolved.