Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shipwrecked

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I have to agree with Fab Freddy who started this thread. I bought my girlfriend a 15" MBP Unibody and it crashes all the time. I have tried clean installs, disk utility, and messed around with the video cards. I find that running the 9600 video card all the time has helped a bit but she still crashes way more than is acceptable. i cannot seem to pin down the issue. Some people say it is has to do with 3rd party ram but I don't think so. We only have the factory 2GB sticks and we have tons of problems. I am bit shocked because this is a beautiful laptop but it crashes more than ANY mac I have ever had. The Apple Update that came out this week (10.5.7) hasn't been installed yet so maybe that will fix it but on first glance it doesn't seem like it does address these known issues.

+1

I was on the phone with apple support this weekend. I couldn't repair permissions or verify my HD without the entire OS freezing up. The weird thing was I could still move my cursor around by nothing responded to it. The rep suggested I take my battery out, press the power button, and put the battery back in - didn't work, same issues. Then next step was to create another user account - same issues persist. Lastly, I had to archive and install - still the issues persist. Luckily the CS rep I spoke to was eager to help me out.
The point is how many times would one have to call apple care for these seemingly "small issues" for a magical fix ( whatever that is ) to happen.

ckennel

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2009
The Saga Continues

I finally gave up trying to troubleshoot on my own and took it to an Apple Store in Manhattan Beach, CA. I was pleasantly surprised how good the genius bar staff was at this location and I spent about 30 minutes working with a rep to log all of the issues that clearly represented everything from power management to display problems to kernel panics.

Because it's still new, the Genius Bar Peeps aren't too interested in attempting to disgnose the problem. They do some basic hardware and software checks and then they just want to send the computer in to the Applecare facility. I had backed up all of the data so I submitted the MBP for repair.

I got the unit back about 8 days later (yesterday) and I opened it up and started up and immediately the screen starting flickering and the same old issues were still present. As many have noted on this forum, many of the issues are hard to replicate on demand. The computer just freezes, the screen flickers or has noise in it, Kernel panics, doesn't wake up from sleep without a restart, etc. I went and read the report of repair and all it said was "Kernel Panics - Replaced Airport card". The sad aprt is that my girlfriend doesn't even use the built in airport because I had to get her a more powerful wireless receiver and she uses that exclusively and that requires turning off the airport completely. Needless to say, I am very disappointed. I rescheduled an appointment and I am taking the unit back in today and asking them to replace the unit entirely.

I will keep you posted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.