Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ultrakyo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2015
I just received a brand new Macbook Pro 16 inch today and when I open the lid the first time it does not power on despite pressing the power button as well. I plugged it to the wall charger and the screen displays battery icon in red with a charge icon just below it. Kept the laptop charged for few hours but it still will not boot and battery still seems empty.

I have tried resetting the SMC through several methods to no avail.

Anyone has a clue?

Attachments

• 19137F16-3C8A-469C-B021-3A69F20A51CC.jpeg
    19137F16-3C8A-469C-B021-3A69F20A51CC.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 9,344
Reactions: michaelromanenko

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
MacBooks typically aren't shipped with a dead battery, are they? To receive one with a dead battery is not a good sign and I would suspect that the battery has failed for some reason.

Do you have any way to test the USB-C charger on something else, just to confirm the charger actually works?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
MacBooks typically aren't shipped with a dead battery, are they? To receive one with a dead battery is not a good sign and I would suspect that the battery has failed for some reason.

Do you have any way to test the USB-C charger on something else, just to confirm the charger actually works?
Correct, they aren't shipped with a dead battery at all. If all other port doesn't or other power unit doesn't do anything, it's a lemon, return it and exchange for a new one.

Reactions: martyjmclean

michaelromanenko

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2016
Same thing happened to me. Brand new MBP 16-inch dead out of the box. Tried all the things @ultrakyo mentioned, but no luck. Contacted Apple Support and was advised to send it back for replacement or refund

Very disappointed.

I've had so many issues with TouchBar generation of MacBooks, on multiple machines. Keyboards broke, speakers blew out. I'm writing this comment on my current MBP 15' 2018 using external keyboard (guess why) and, because its battery started to swell (bloat, expand — you name it) I was looking forward to a replacement very much. And the new one is dead out of the box.

IMG_3396.jpg

Last edited:

ultrakyo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2015
@dmylrea That's what I thought too. Not the first time buying apple products. I have used the USB-C charger that came with Macbook Pro 16 to charge my iPad and older Macbook and it work like a champ.

@Shadowbech I tried all ports with same result. The moment I unplug the cable, the touchpad stop giving me haptic feedback and the machine is completely shut off and does not even give me the battery icon. I also tried with 87W apple charger and the same thing occured.

@michaelromanenko Guess we are out of luck this time?!?! ? Something that is not expected from a $3K machine.

Reactions: michaelromanenko

michaelromanenko

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2016
Seems like our issue is very similar to this.

Nice find! Yes, probably, it has something to do with the charging circuit, not the battery.
Its great how you describe all the thought process, while you were trying to make the computer turn on: 87W charging brick, touchpad gave feedback only when plugged in. I tried to leave it charging overnight and t didn't help.

Looks like it had a defective logic boards components, responsible for power supply. Mine is on the way to B&H for refund, this is where I bought it. I'll probably try to buy the new one, with the same specs directly from Apple, but man its was a stress to deal with (

ultrakyo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2015
Nice find! Yes, probably, it has something to do with the charging circuit, not the battery.
Its great how you describe all the thought process, while you were trying to make the computer turn on: 87W charging brick, touchpad gave feedback only when plugged in. I tried to leave it charging overnight and t didn't help.

Looks like it had a defective logic boards components, responsible for power supply. Mine is on the way to B&H for refund, this is where I bought it. I'll probably try to buy the new one, with the same specs directly from Apple, but man its was a stress to deal with (

Great, I had mine returned as well yesterday and it will be exchanged by Saturday at the soonest. The stock level is low or none at all here for the 8 core base model due to pandemic and I had the last inventory on my last purchase.

Let me know how your new device when you get it, I suppose it will have better QC coming straight from Apple Store or online.

smurphy917

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
Did anyone ever fully diagnose this issue? I’m in a unique scenario as I actually ordered my 16 MBP in early March but due to me living overseas and the COVID situation, I just now got it in my hands and opened the box to find this exact situation. Obviously 5 months is a bit beyond the standard return window and I’m overseas anyway, so I’m hoping Apple can quickly fix it but would love any details on the actual issue here, if anyone has them.

Sorin Mircea

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
Did anyone ever fully diagnose this issue? I’m in a unique scenario as I actually ordered my 16 MBP in early March but due to me living overseas and the COVID situation, I just now got it in my hands and opened the box to find this exact situation. Obviously 5 months is a bit beyond the standard return window and I’m overseas anyway, so I’m hoping Apple can quickly fix it but would love any details on the actual issue here, if anyone has them.

Hi smurphy917,

I'm in the same situation, when I open the lid of my brand new Macbook Pro 16 for the first time it does not power on. I also ordered my Macbook in early April and just now got it in my hands and opened the box to find this exact situation. What was the problem? Did Apple exchange your macbook or was it repaired?

Tahnk you!

ultrakyo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2015
I went for an exchange and the exchange window period here is 24 hours (Crap). It seems like the issue lies with the chip driving the USB-C PD so it keeps charging at standard 5V instead of pushing it to the max.

What I see the possible official Apple Support solution is full replacement or replacement of motherboard.

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
When I received my 16" MacBook Pro in early June, it was my first experience with a touchbar/USB-C MacBook Pro. When I was setting it up for the first time, I plugged it into power and started plugging away. After about an hour, I noticed that it wasn't charging, and I was running off of battery. I found this strange as it was (or so I thought) was plugged in. This is when I discovered that I had not pushed the USB-C connector all the way in, on the Mac. It just took a little more pressure than I realized, and when I plugged it all the way in, I felt a soft click, and heard the same sound my iPhone makes when I plug it into power too. So, now I always listen for that sound to make sure it is plugged in. So, if when you plug your MacBook Pro in, if you don't hear that sound, you know that it will not charge. This could be an issue with the USB-C cable, charger, or socket in the MacBook Pro itself. :)

Rich S.

mechanicalgeek

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2020
Had the same issue today with my new MBP 16in. I customized it on the website and made some decent upgrades. The local store had stock, which was great. No need for shipping. Picked it up today and tried to power on. Battery indicator on screen showed red sliver. Plugged in charger for a bit with no change. This is really odd, because all Apple products come precharged. Mine was dead. After some phone calls to support, I ended with a local store rep. He said that most of these models sat in storage during covid and depleted that initial charge. Mine was a rare customization, and that meant it sat longer. Had I just bought and shipped online, then I wouldn’t have had the issue. He said that once the battery is depleted, new in box, and sits in that depleted state for a length of time; that it requires a battery replacement. Somehow you can’t charge it once it gets to this situation. Definitely a design flaw. How often to folks let their laptops die completely? Apple hasn’t officially released a product recall of unsold laptops during the covid time. He said that they had only just found out what is causing this issue. He’s had multiple. I have a scheduled appointment to swap with another new unit tomorrow. I’ll be trying it before leaving. Battery replacement is the only way to recover, if not able to return under return window.

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
If it is just a overly depleted battery, wouldn't plugging it into power let it boot? Sounds like it is more than just a flat battery. Obviously something is going on though, as this has happened to multiple people.

mechanicalgeek

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2020
With all the extra circuitry they are adding to the batteries to prevent overcharge, and extend battery life, may be causing the power to not be reaching the battery. Like you said, it should still be able to power with a dead battery off the cord. There is probably more than the battery that needs fixed, but maybe I’ll find out tomorrow.

mechanicalgeek

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2020
Went it for the swap today. The one they swapped was identical and on the daily shipment to the store. It also did not work. From box, open, push power button. Red battery. Sat for 30-40min and wouldn’t charge. Model MVVN2LL/A - MBP 16.0 SG/2.4GHZ 8C/32GB/5500M/2TB-USA. They brought another (third) out. Noticed the model was different. Model MY222LL/A - MBP 16.0 SG/2.4GHZ 8C/32GB/5600M/2TB-USA. It powered right on. Apple logo on opening screen. Charged fine. The only difference in models is the AMD Radeon video card. 5500m mid grade choice. Vs highest choice 5600M. An $815 difference. The lead gave it to me for the same price. Out the door. These folks didn’t seem to have an explanation. Just some story about lithium ion batteries and dissipation of electrons moving too far from each other to be able to charge again. Only an issue with new batteries that have only seen the initial charge. Says it won’t happen again, should I not power it for 6mos once it has burn in time. Whatever. I got an upgrade and a working unit. Will post any issues.

Brad Neal

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2020
I am having this exact same problem. 16'' MBP purchased March but not opened until this morning. Will not turn on, only occasionally shows red battery-low icon. Very frustrating. I am passed the return window so I have to see a Genius Bar member next week. I am not happy.

mechanicalgeek

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2020
I am having this exact same problem. 16'' MBP purchased March but not opened until this morning. Will not turn on, only occasionally shows red battery-low icon. Very frustrating. I am passed the return window so I have to see a Genius Bar member next week. I am not happy.

Would you mind sharing your model number, features? Make sure to tell them that the battery never charged out of the box and battery drained. Let us know, but they should change your battery under 1yr Apple care warranty.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I have to wonder if the issue with the units @Brad Neal and @mechanicalgeek saw was that those systems shipped to the stores or a warehouse in March and have sat since then because of closures, resulting in draining the battery and causing this issue.

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
I have to wonder if the issue with the units @Brad Neal and @mechanicalgeek saw was that those systems shipped to the stores or a warehouse in March and have sat since then because of closures, resulting in draining the battery and causing this issue.

That is what makes this even stranger. If the battery were "bad," the MacBooks should still power on, and run from AC adapter, correct? This makes it seem like it is something more than the just the battery.

dan5

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2020
Would you mind sharing your model number, features? Make sure to tell them that the battery never charged out of the box and battery drained. Let us know, but they should change your battery under 1yr Apple care warranty.

Same issue here, went through two laptops with the same dead battery from different apple stores. Reseting the SMC did nothing. Only two stores had my config in stock, which I was surprised any had it so I drove an hour for each. I attached the specs below if that matters. I'm waiting for my third unit to ship now, hopefully from a newer batch. Talked to apple support for 2 hours and their only solution was to issue a replacement.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 12.00.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 12.00.11 PM.png
    630 KB · Views: 734

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
@Zenfone it's not exactly Apple's fault that it took an unreasonably long time for the computer to get to you. Even the original 4 months might have been too long. Say you had a different issue while under warranty, how would you have gotten it serviced? Would you fault Apple there as well?

Reactions: zen97
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.