macbro08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2020
Hi

I received my brand new 2020 13" MBP last week and today I went to the App Store to update Keynotes, Pages and Numbers (all default apps). However, I get the error message "Pages cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID". I get the samme message for Keynotes and Numbers.

I read online that the issue can be resolved by deleting the app and reinstalling (since they are free, that should be no issue). However, what does this actually mean? Was I sold a MBP that had been used before?

Note: I bought the laptop directly from Apple and I have not transferred anything from a previous device.

Reactions: flafi

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
If I were you, I’d call up Apple just to make sure there isn’t some messed up setting that’s going to cause you headaches down the line.

Comment

chabig

macrumors G3
Sep 6, 2002
Was I sold a MBP that had been used before?
No. It means that you are signed into an iCloud account that is different from the one used to install Keynote. Normally, your Mac is signed into iCloud using the same AppleID that is signed into the App Store. Is yours?

Comment

chrfr

macrumors G4
Jul 11, 2009
Hi

I received my brand new 2020 13" MBP last week and today I went to the App Store to update Keynotes, Pages and Numbers (all default apps). However, I get the error message "Pages cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID". I get the samme message for Keynotes and Numbers.

I read online that the issue can be resolved by deleting the app and reinstalling (since they are free, that should be no issue). However, what does this actually mean? Was I sold a MBP that had been used before?

Note: I bought the laptop directly from Apple and I have not transferred anything from a previous device.
Since those apps are all free, I'd try deleting the existing ones and installing again.

Reactions: chabig
Comment

flafi

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2020
Hi

I have the same problem with a new 2020 MBP 13.
I bought it from a store in my country. They bought it from apple.
I opened a thread too: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/is-my-new-mbp-13-2020-used-need-help.2244712/

What did you find about the issue? What did you do?
Did your apps appear under purchases when the issue happened? Mine don’t. They are not connected to my apple ID at all.

Last edited:
Comment

chrfr

macrumors G4
Jul 11, 2009
Comment

flafi

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2020
As I suggested in post #4, the simplest fix is to delete the existing copies and download new ones direct from the App Store.
Thanks for the advice. The solution is clear to me. I just want to be sure that this is just a bug, and that the MBP is not used. But Apple says that they can’t know when the computer was first activated.

Comment

chrfr

macrumors G4
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks for the advice. The solution is clear to me. I just want to be sure that this is just a bug, and that the MBP is not used. But Apple says that they can’t know when the computer was first activated.
If the computer was fully sealed both inside and out, and all the accessories were still wrapped as new, I would not be concerned.

Comment

flafi

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2020
If the computer was fully sealed both inside and out, and all the accessories were still wrapped as new, I would not be concerned.
I also found this article: Mac world. It describes the issue as well.
But still, the small doubt is making me crazy. If more people write about it, that would relax me. But I only found 1 thread about this topic.

from the article:”However, it’s possible even using a single Apple ID that you will see an error when you attempt to update certain apps that reads, “Update Unavailable with This Apple ID.” This seems to happen commonly with Apple’s productivity apps: Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.”

I also want to know if the apps that are mentioned there can be found under purchased, because mine aren’t.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.