Brand new MBP anddddddddddddd

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
saw my first set of beach balls :confused:
I was using Chrome & watching a youtube video, the video would hang up/freeze, did it a few times, this is a BRAND NEW (refurbished), just downloaded Chrome and I was testing it when it happened.
any ideas as to why? LOVING it so far.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I was using Chrome & watching a youtube video, the video would hang up/freeze, did it a few times, this is a BRAND NEW (refurbished), just downloaded Chrome and I was testing it when it happened.
Chrome is a resource hog :)

I use Safari and Firefox.

Google will look through your browsing history in Chrome to direct ads at you. It'll also read your Gmail messages for the same reason.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Chrome uses a lot of power/resources, which is why I've stopped using it. Try using Firefox or Safari for a while and see if you get any beachballs with them.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Chrome uses a lot of power/resources, which is why I've stopped using it. Try using Firefox or Safari for a while and see if you get any beachballs with them.
i have a ton of links that i need transferred to safari, any way to import them?

Launch iTunes
Store menu, choose "Authorize this computer..."
thanks, done:D

EDIT, managed to export/import bookmarks, kind of sucks

Last edited:

macsForLife

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Don't use Chrome...Safari is much less resource-intensive and much more elegant. The pinch to zoom in Chrome is like being stuck in 1999.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
Don't use Chrome...Safari is much less resource-intensive and much more elegant. The pinch to zoom in Chrome is like being stuck in 1999.
I've never understood why people buy a Mac and then download Chrome anyway. Safari seems to work flawlessly for me.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I've never understood why people buy a Mac and then download Chrome anyway. Safari seems to work flawlessly for me.
Simple really if they have come from windows the internet explorer is awful so they use Firefox or chrome. Chrome is a good choice on windows as it offers the same integration as safari in osx.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
What model did you buy? If it has a regular HDD, I'm not surprised that there are beach balls here and there.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
More often then not it seems Chrome is the cause of the issues, at least with the rMBPs for some reason. As others stated, its a resource hog and it doesn't seem to play nice with the rMBP

----------

Because they prefer a different browser, one size does not fit all. Different strokes for different folks.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
More often then not it seems Chrome is the cause of the issues, at least with the rMBPs for some reason. As others stated, its a resource hog and it doesn't seem to play nice with the rMBP

----------

Because they prefer a different browser, one size does not fit all. Different strokes for different folks.

Sounds like those different strokes need some lube.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Did you read the thread or are you one of those people who just respond uninformed?

Clearly, Chrome is causing the OP issues. So his "different strokes" aren't working out too well.
No, I've read the thread and I was commenting on your post as to why you don't understand people who use something other then safari. My point (problems aside) is that not everyone likes safari, and others prefer Chrome.

Its unfortunate as my post already stated (if you didn't read it) that Chrome does not seem to play nice with the rMBPs.

Last edited:

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
What model did you buy? If it has a regular HDD, I'm not surprised that there are beach balls here and there.
latest & greatest OCT 2013 model.

----------

yeah, going to look into just using the links I want on Safari. then I'll kill Chrome.

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
Simple really if they have come from windows the internet explorer is awful so they use Firefox or chrome. Chrome is a good choice on windows as it offers the same integration as safari in osx.
I'm still a Windows user and I don't really get all the bantering about Chrome.
Firefox provides a much better UI and add-ons.

checking in a few, just got it & I was downloading programs to it, this is my first mac, I have a LOT to learn

do I need to download flash?

considering putting a keyboard skin
Well, you'll obviously need Flash for some video sites, although YouTube supports HTML5 now.

And consider putting a kb skin if you have a rMBP. The screen has almost no protection so it'd be better to be well informed about it firstly.

rex450se

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
Independence, MO
I will admit that the first thing I downloaded when I bought my rMBP was Chrome. It took about a week of that to make a switch to Safari. It may be hard at first but if you just force yourself to use it you may end up liking it. I know I did.

Victor

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I think the specs would be quite useful to know too..

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
used migration assistant, I NOW have a new user :confused:, thought things would go under my profile instead of a new user being created:confused:
Migration Assistant will bring in whatever account(s) were on the old machine your migrated from if you check the box by that account name when you first run MA. So yes, if you made account Bob then ran MA with account Joe on the old machine, you will end up with the new account Bob plus the old account Joe (and all its data) on your new machine.

The best thing to do is run MA on the machine before you create any accounts, and just let MA bring in the old account and data. That way you won't have extra accounts.

So now you have two, separate accounts? If MA brought in your "real" account and data from the other machine, you can just login to that account and delete the new one your created.