Brand New Retina MBP w/ 9 cycles count, 2 weeks old...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maccuser, Mar 1, 2013.

1. maccuser macrumors member

I just received a brand new retina 13 inch MBP that has 9 cycles count out of the box and its 2 weeks old. This is the highest end model of the 13 inch and the store didnt have it yesterday and just received it today.. how is this possible?

Is it possible that this computer was returned and repackaged as new?
    Do the computers that are returned for no specific reason get repackaged and sold as new?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Return it and ask for a NEW one.
    I agree that this is absurd, you buy a new one, you should get a new one.

3. maccuser thread starter macrumors member

you think this might be used?

4. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Two weeks ago is when it was manufactured and 9 cycles is well within normal testing limits. Don't worry about it.

5. MacKid macrumors 6502

It's not unusual for new laptops to have anywhere from 2 to 6 cycles. Having 9 out of the box is less usual, but this seems like more of an OCD problem.

6. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

Apple would never do that, they have more than enough money right now! Also all returned macs are checked for defects and sold as refurbs.

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Not saying the both of you are wrong, you're most likely right about testing but then Apple should at least reset the battery charge count after doing these tests.
    Think it's an oversight not to reset.

8. MacKid macrumors 6502

That would be lying. Cycle count exists as an indicator of battery health, not industrial purity. =)

9. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

Apple tests their batteries before shipping them, the normal cycle for the new 2013 rmbp is 12 cycles. So it is not a used one but a brand new quality controlled mac. My sister got her mid 2012 rmbp with 12 cycles, so we got it replaced at the local apple store, and again 12 cycles!!!! So we called tech support and they clarified that all new rmbp macs are tested before shipping and the batteries go extensive testing to check for battery quality and condition. Noting to worry about.

10. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

So, inserting a new logic board and setting the serial on the new board to the old one (as they do) is also lying?

11. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

Exactly.. lying never benefits anyone only loss of reputation! Kudos :apple: for a job well done! :D

----------

No, they do that for warranty purposes, the old board is not re-used, it is recycled or disposed of in an environmently friendly manner

12. MacKid macrumors 6502

No, that would not be lying.

13. maccuser thread starter macrumors member

I agree that I might be a bit OCD when I purchase something over 2000 dollars, but the fact is I'm not paying this much for a repackaged item

14. MacKid macrumors 6502

The mistake you're making is in thinking that 9 cycles means it's repackaged.

15. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Aside from the fact Apple stores do not have the facilities to shrink wrap and repackage a computer, it would be illegal to sell a returned computer as new. That's why they have refurbishing programs and other stores have open box sales.

16. maccuser thread starter macrumors member

but how can u explain 9 cycles count considering the age of the mac by coconut battery is 2 weeks?

17. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

I consider that thoroughly tested.

If it says 90, I'd panic.

18. Fissure macrumors 6502

My new 13" rMBP had 2 cycles on it when I opened it and looked. It was 17 weeks old. The cMBP that I had for 1 week before returning to get the rMBP had 1 cycle on it and it was only 2 weeks old.

I immediately thought. These rMBP's aren't selling well. Mine had been sitting around for 17 weeks versus the 2 weeks of the cMBP. I am sure that is why Apple lowered the price of the rMBP's. They aren't selling well.

19. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

On the other hand, you can just order them and receive one immediately. Unlike the new iMac.

20. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

The best thing you could do is remove cocunut battery and enjoy your laptop. I had that cursed app on my last laptop and would check it constantly for cycle count and battery health. It does nothing but promote OCD.
    It's the devil!

21. maccuser thread starter macrumors member

lol thats very true

22. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

Nothing to worry about and I think you must stop making a mountain out of a molehill, the battery was tested for your own good so that you dont get a 2nd grade product!

----------

If you want 2nd grade untested products go for windows laptops!:apple: rocks!!!

----------

Coconut battery has some known inaccuracies i would recommend istat pro or istat menus

23. Fissure macrumors 6502

True, but it's because there is demand for the new iMacs. I think Apple over estimated what people were willing to spend on the rMBP's therefore they sat around and Apple had a ton of inventory. The price decreases and minor speed bumps helped.

Heck I'm not complaining, I picked up a 13" rMBP and love it. I was just a bit surprised that mine was brand new and was built over 4 months ago. 4 months is a long time for a computer to be in inventory.

24. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Obvious indication they're not selling well, hence the price drops.

25. spree254 macrumors member

I bought my 13 rMBP base and had 30 cycles out the box , returned it got another in store and had 30 cycle count . After talking to Tech support they told me that its normal and mines was few weeks old according to coconut battery . Don't stress it and enjoy it !