Brand New rMBP Very Hot!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Elektrikz, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Elektrikz macrumors member

Ok owned this for 4 days with minimal use!!

Battery drains like crazy and the heat is ridiculous!

Any ideas??

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

What is minimal use?

What are you doing while using it? Watching video streaming using Chrome for instance?

3. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

When you're doing your normal stuff, open Activity Monitor and look the "Energy" tab. Look what programs are at the top.

Also look at the CPU tab, and look what programs are using the most % of CPU. (Click the % button so it sorts it highest -> lowest, also do the same on the Energy Tab)

If you are using Chrome that would explain it. I love how fast Chrome is for browsing, but it definitely causing a lot of battery and heat problems.

4. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Gonna pile on. I have pretty much dumped Chrome on all of my Apple machines at home, except my wife's, who stubbornly refuses to get rid of it and complains about battery usage all the time. :confused:;)

5. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Chrome is a good browser with the fatal flaw that it causing the heat problems (and high energy)

However speed and resources wise, it is the clear winner at loading pages heavy in flash content.

6. Elektrikz thread starter macrumors member

Ok just checked and was shocked at what I found...

Airmail the app I downloaded from the app store for emails is taking up around 45% and something called mdsworke is taking up 95%!!!!

What the hell is mdsworker?

7. blooperz macrumors 6502

I used to have airmail....noticed some irregularities in performance after installing and whenever I ran avast it was convinced that it was a trojan...I'm not sure why...I just stopped using it and haven't had any problems....maybe thats an older issue though this was about a year ago

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

That is Spotlight indexing your drive, happens on a new machine and can take a chunk of resources in the first few days depending on how long you leave the machine on and awake for. That will drop hugely once the indexing is completed.

Airmail, sorry can't comment, I use Post Box.

9. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

I use AirMail and can't report any significant issues, for me it's an amazing app.

I thought the battery life when I first got my rMBP was poor as well, even when I was doing basic tasks like Safari and Spotify. However since then I have seen battery life estimates when doing basic tasks jump from ~4-5 hours to up to 9 hours, so I think it has improved.

10. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

OMG !! :eek: This is SHOCKING information that is coming up ! is Airmail really such a Rogue APP ?? Find unbelievable I thought it was a very good APP after I had some inconsistency in the Mac OS X Pushmail with the time in which it would send and receive mails.

OK ! Should I abandon AIRMAIL ? Should I stop using Airmail ? Can it create problem for your MAC in terms of Battery Drainage and Heat ?

11. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Two users with issues with Airmail and one reporting no issues - hardly a "OMG" moment and not very shocking TBH - either way - its only a sample of 3...

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

All new Macs (and reformatted ones) go through the indexing process. It is a process that can take up to 4 days. My recommendation is to leave your Mac open at night so that it can work in the background. That will speed up the process.

Indexing allows faster response time in the overall scheme of things.

13. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Ok so what is the Majority view on Airmail, never bothered on finding that out, all I tried to find was, is Airmail good ? But never investigated the dark side of it ? Can it cause Huge Battery Drain and Heating issues ?

14. Cibike macrumors member

Cibike

it take up to 1 hour if you first start yor mac (with a ssd of course)... you just have to start it, go trough the first setup and leave it on for an hour, then it's all set and ready to use, but most users can't wait and start installing apps, try close the lid and sleep mac which disturb process of indexing files

15. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Firstly remember that people only generally post on forums if they have problems, don't expect every new Airmail user to check in here and tell you all is ok.

That said, almost any app seems able to have a runaway moment, usually for some sensible reason but occasionally not. If Airmail is installed and asked to sync down a bunch of imap mail then yes, it will load up the cpu and generate battery drain and heat doing so. In usual sync use, unlikely.

Chrome on the other hand, is widely known to have low battery optimization on Mac's so you have been warned :)

16. augustya, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014

augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

I generally have two accounts synced with Airmail Yahoo and Gmail. Ok I wanna monitor this, How is Airmail performing in terms of Heat and Battery Drain. What do I look for against Airmail's name in the Activity Monitor what is the key statistics that should I watch out for, keep a eye on ?

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

mdsworker is spotlight, its indexing your drive. Let that finish and then see what your battery life is like,

If you're really concerned then reformat and reinstall OS X and start over.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It can take several hours, not an hour. It will vary from Mac to Mac. I obviously stated up to which means it can go from 10 minutes to 4 days.