Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
Belfast, UK
Whatever their buyers can get the cheapest, and then whatever the guys putting them together in China lift off the shelf.

Toshiba, Hitachi, Samsung, WD, Seacrate - it's luck of the draw.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I have three servers two are 750gb and they use scorpio black western digital. BTW that is the fastest 750gb hdd on the market. I have yet to open the 500gb server so I don't know.

the other poster is absolutely correct about luck of the draw concept with the 500gb 5400rpm drives. i have received toshiba or hitachi with no particular rhyme or reason.

In fact with all 5400rpm hdds in mac minis from 2006 to 2011 it has been hitachi Toshiba or fujitsu with no rhyme or reason. By all I mean the 100 plus that I upgraded.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Hitachi 500GB in my server that were replaced with WD Scorpio Black and SSDs. BTW The Apple SSD is good in OSX because it supports trim natively. It does horrible under bootcamp unless you hack to enable trim. If you want performance get a SATA III 6G drive.

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
Belfast, UK
Hard to beat the Hitachi drives. My Dell came with a Hitachi 7200rpm - very good drive (now lives in my OH's Lenovo to replace an old 5400rpm unit).

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Bought the mini server today, dual 500gb 7200rpm Seagate drives.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Not accurate. They may be stock hard drives but Apple requires more stringent testing from the manufacturer. I've been to factories in China that make devices for Apple and others ( I worked for Motorola at the time). The Apple production line and parts are the only ones separate from the rest because their quality control and testing standards are higher. This is well known among people from HP, Dell etc who are familiar with the facilities and often remarked on by them.

Whatever their buyers can get the cheapest, and then whatever the guys putting them together in China lift off the shelf.

Toshiba, Hitachi, Samsung, WD, Seacrate - it's luck of the draw.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
After the Hitatchi Deskstar (a.k.a Hitachi Deathstar) fiasco, I have never really trusted them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitachi_Deskstar

That was IBM, not Hitachi. Hitachi later bought IBM's drive division, but of course, whatever failures happened under IBM's ownership no longer applied. You think that Hitachi bought the drive division and just kept everything the same? Nope. Completely new operation. It's amazing how this same bit of misinformation just keeps getting repeated endlessly. :rolleyes:

jlin615

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Los Angeles, CA.
So I've just received my new Mac Mini (desktop) yesterday. A little disappointed that it didn't come with Hitachi. It came with WDC 750GB 7200RPM. So I guess that's the fastest 7200RPM currently on the market?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
So I've just received my new Mac Mini (desktop) yesterday. A little disappointed that it didn't come with Hitachi. It came with WDC 750GB 7200RPM. So I guess that's the fastest 7200RPM currently on the market?

Are you assuming just because that's the brand/model that is included it's the fastest ? As already mentioned Apple like most manufacturers uses multiple component suppliers. What brand of HD is included doesn't necessarily have anything to do with speed.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Are you assuming just because that's the brand/model that is included it's the fastest ? As already mentioned Apple like most manufacturers uses multiple component suppliers. What brand of HD is included doesn't necessarily have anything to do with speed.

He may Have read my post that the wd is the fastest of the 750gb hdds which btw it is. The hitachi is the slowest but all three wd seagate and hitachi are close in speed. If the hitachi 750gb is like the hitachi 500gb it will run the cloolest and the quietest of the three.

jlin615

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Los Angeles, CA.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! I'm just asking here! Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that it's currently the fastest 750GB on the the market. So I'm just confirming. So don't trip!

----------

If the hitachi 750gb is like the hitachi 500gb it will run the cloolest and the quietest of the three.

That's true. My MBP and another Mac mini both have Hitachi. I'm noticing my new mini with WD Scorpio black is slightly more noisy.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! I'm just asking here! Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that it's currently the fastest 750GB on the the market. So I'm just confirming. So don't trip!

----------

That's true. My MBP and another Mac mini both have Hitachi. I'm noticing my new mini with WD Scorpio black is slightly more noisy.

Not tripping what ever that is. Just asking for some clarification as your post wasn't clear. Sorry if I caused offence.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
My 2011 Mini Server came with stock 2x500GB 7200rpm drives. The ones in mine are SeaGate ST9500420ASG drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.