Brand Spankin New MBP...now time to return it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hylekmi, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Hylekmi macrumors regular

I just got back from the Apple Store and it turns out that i have to exchange it for a new MBP. It won't sit evenly on the desk. Any way my question is, do i have to worry about them giving me a refurb. or will they give me a brand new one in the original shrink wrap?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They're not going to replace a new Mac with a refurb.

3. /user/me macrumors 6502

Even if it was a refurb, the quality would be just the same. I'm not sure why people don't get that about apple products... Well, maybe they have a packaging fetish, or think that the most important part of the computer they just bought is the packaging instead of the computer.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

You could return it for an apple gift card then go back and buy it again.

5. shootist macrumors regular

Apple has a 14 day return policy. If they don't want to give you another Brand New unit just return it for a refund and then buy another one.

6. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

yep! If I had a problem with the computer within the 14 day period I would not say a thing about it. I would just say it is not what I wanted and I want a refund. Boom no questions asked and money back. Go back another day and buy a new one lol.

If you say there is bla bla bla bla wrong with it then they will say oh well we will have to spend 5 months fixing it then you can get it back when the newer version of the product comes out and the problem will probably still be there along with a bunch of dirt under the screen and you will have run out of Apple care too sorry to say :apple: *clap clap out of the store*

7. solarein macrumors regular

Umm...are you guys forgetting about the 15% restocking fee on all returns?

8. simsaladimbamba

9. hotgrease macrumors regular

I suppose you would be happy buying a refurbished computer for the same price as a new one then? I doubt it. Refurbs are worth less than new, plain and simple. That is the main issue.

10. Hylekmi thread starter macrumors regular

Sooo when i take my computer in tomorrow should i take in the box with all of the stuff in it? or just my computer?

11. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I'm not sure what you are going to get to replace it? A smaller one? If you are then of course take all packaging, disks, booklets etc and the original box.

As posted above there is a 15% restocking fee, but Apple may well waive this if you are going for a swap.

12. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

All of it. Demand a new one.

13. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

It's a defect, Apple must replace a new computer with a new computer of course.

No way I'd accept a refurb, especially within the 14 day return period.

14. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

No - There is no restocking fee.

15. berdmehn macrumors newbie

My spacebar was defective, I took it in (day after I bought it), showed it to them and got a brand new one!

16. dank414 macrumors member

There is a restocking fee, but they rarely enforce this rule. Apple will use this when some keeps on bait and switch multiple times.

Back to the original post, go to Apple and demand a new one. That's what they're for and you won't get a refurb. All returns go through a processing bins and why there's a refurb site on Apple's web page. **Also you can bring everything or just computer and parts if you've tossed the box. Some of the managers can be finicky if you just bring the computer/other's don't care. It depends on their mood.** -says the ex apple employee.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The restocking fee doesn't apply if you return a defective item for a replacement.

18. /user/me macrumors 6502

Nope. Refurbished computers cost less, but funny thing - I've yet to have that affect resale value... Last September I was able to sell an early 2011 low end 13 for 1000 dollars. that's about the same resale value as a new out of box computer - maybe even better... too bad some people aren't smart enough to realize that refurbished and new are basically the same thing with apple. If your data an applications are there and the computer works, then what's the big deal?

19. hotgrease macrumors regular

The point is that a refurb is worth less than a new. The OP doesn't want a refurb when he bought a new. It's not that the refurbs are bad - I have purchased one in the past. It's that he wouldn't be getting the same value in return. Also, some people would prefer to buy a computer that is brand new rather than refurbished. Just because someone has different priorities than you doesn't mean they are not "smart."

And I guarantee that you can't sell a same spec'd, same conditioned refurb for MORE than one purchased new...

20. /user/me macrumors 6502

Which has nothing to do with the machine itself. It's all about perception. It's perceived that the new one is better because it's only had one user, when in reality, the chances of a refurbished mac having defects are significantly less, because what defects are present get repaired, and it goes through Apple's quality control process twice.

21. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

No it isn't. They are worth the same, even to Apple. Its just Apple has to reduce the price in order to move it.

Example:
    I buy two identical MBP's from Apple, but one is new and one is a refurb, which costs $150 less.

Now I go to resell those two computers 1 month later. They are IDENTICAL and worth the EXACT same amount of money. In fact there are worth the exact same amount of money even sitting on the shelves at Apple.

Its just Apple CANNOT sell the item labeled as NEW, so this corporation must reduce the price slightly to sell it, otherwise it would not sell.

And to add insult to your injury, a refurbished MBP is actually worth MORE money to Apple than a brand new MBP. They "lose" money when then sell one. Why? Because they have had to invest money in a complete tear down of the machine and replacement of parts and new testing. All that costs money for Apple, but is NOT passed onto the computer.

A refurbished MBP costs more to produce (from cradle, to consumer, back to Apple, and then finally back to the consumer who bought the refurb.) Granted all those costs are built into the price of products already. When I buy a refurb product from Apple, its the people who buy brand new products who are subsidizing the purchase of my refurbished MBP. Thank you very much.

Other than Apple and the consumer who bought the refurb, there is no way for anyone to know it is a refurb.

22. hotgrease macrumors regular

Lol, this argument is ridiculous. A refurb is worth less than a new computer, period.

23. Bwa macrumors 6502

I bought a refurb iMac 24" in 2007 to use for a special project for six months. When I was done with it, I sold it on Craigslist for more than I paid for it.

24. musicman0725 macrumors member

Restocking fee gone since last year

Apple stores removed the restocking fees sometime last year (there was a front page MR article on it IIRC). Before they removed it, your receipt would clearly state the amount of the restocking fee under each product that had one (which was pretty much all computers). I had to return my laptop to the apple store over the summer. Full refund was given and restocking fee wasn't charged or even discussed. Apparently best buy is also doing away with restocking fees.

Anyways, the OP should bring the computer back in box and state they want an even exchange. Since they're within the 14 day period, they'll just scan the old computer, then scan the new one and you can walk out with the new machine in box. Apple stores will typically give you closer to 30-days if you need to exchange an item (even though the official policy is 14 days).

25. /user/me macrumors 6502

Shh!!! You can't say that!!! theres people here that don't believe that. They're living in a distorted reality! Hurry, Don't let them know the truth!!!!