Branson Sells Virgin Megastores, renamed Zavvi

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by DAC47, Sep 18, 2007.

1. DAC47 macrumors 6502

DAC47

2. bartelby macrumors Core

HMV are in a decline too, so we could end up with sod all record stores...:(

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The way things are going they're all doomed to failure.

4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Well at least HMV are beginning to see the light.

link

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The big chains didn't give a flying one when they were putting the small, independent shops out of business, so I find it a little hard to have any sympathy for them now that they're feeling the effects of online sales.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Honestly, why buy Virgin Megastores if you can't keep the name? Part of the chain's value is in the recognizable name. Who wants to go to "Zavvi"?

7. DAC47 thread starter macrumors 6502

DAC47

HMV are struggling but i think there's probably enough room in the market for one big chain,
    without beardie around to bail them out Virgin/Zavvi look the weaker chain

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Zavvi: crap name... but if they stop selling dance, trance, house and drum and bass CDs for about £20 each, I might pay them a visit.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

I have no sympathy for big chains. That's why most of the stuff I buy I order direct from the labels now. I'd rather support them than people who aren't actually interested in music.

Do you remember "A Chain With No Name" stores?

10. DAC47 thread starter macrumors 6502

DAC47

I worked for Our Price and Virgin and I can tell you that they were full of people who are passionate about music.

11. iGav macrumors G3

The indies (or at least the good ones) will keep going.

You're hard pushed to find anything outside of the top 40/main labels (that includes the big indie labels) in a HMV store, so it's not a major loss in my opinion.

That said, I give high street record stores (and places like Blockbusters too) 10 years, 15 max. Everything will be downloadable by then.

12. bartelby macrumors Core

What the board of directors who run the company?

I wasn't talking about the lowly retail staff.

iGav I've seen several extremely good indie store go bust because of big chain stores.
    Vinyl Dreams in Cov being one example. Even Spin-a-Disc was good.

EDIT: Just go down Berwick St and see what's left... :(

13. DAC47 thread starter macrumors 6502

DAC47

Fair point
    head office was chocked full of tossers

14. faust macrumors regular

faust

Good for them. I'm happy to pay 9.99 to 13.99 for a new release on iTunes as compared to some of the horrendous 19.99 to even 49.99 cd releases(Those with extra features or b-sides).

15. iGav macrumors G3

I think that the indies will survive the battle, but there will be casualties.

There was a lot of mediocre record stores on Berwick Street, so in some respects, they were no great loss.

There used to be a great record shop in Inverness Street in Camden, but I forget its name, and there's a place over in Notting Hill called Minus Zero, that stocked some really weird stuff, and a lot of R.E.M., strangely.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It seems like losing record stores would be a bigger deal in the urban world, where you don't have our Targets and so on that we have readily available... we've been mostly without chain record stores for some time now. A good indie store, though, is worth its weight in gold.

17. bartelby macrumors Core

Of course, it's all subjective...

18. iGav macrumors G3

How many vinyl dance music shops does one street actually need? ;) :p

Consider the old adage, it's not the quantity but the... ;)

Still, there's much better places to buy records in London. :D

19. bartelby macrumors Core

There are vinyl dance music shops?

I was talking about Select-a-disc and Reckless Records and even SisterRay a few years back.

20. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Ah, Selectadisc. I spent many a happy hour perusing their wares when I lived in Nottingham. Fantastic place.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Tower Records went out here as well. It was only a matter of time for Virgin, who have been turning more and more into Hot Topic wannabes. Always seemed a little "me too" as it was. Actually, most of what he did seemed "me too"ish. The stores, the cell phones, the airline, the online music store. Been there, done that with all of them. Maybe if he brought something new to the table, it would have been different.

Mouth shaped toilets apparently wasn't it.

22. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

The decline of chain stores in certain sectors and the collapse of other sectors due to outsourcing make for some strange economic times ahead.

23. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Not in Australia, HMV is officially dead.... HMV are in the office above my and they're clearin' out the office because they have gone bust here and the rest of the company have been liquidated or bought out by Sanity. Also the fact that HMV in Australia got caught selling pirates CDs didn't help the business either.....

JBHifi (Virgin, HMV and Sanity's competition) has absolutely obliterated all competition in Australia because they are cheaper, have more stuff and overall a better place to shop.

24. DAC47 thread starter macrumors 6502

DAC47

Sanity bought the Our Price chain in the uk and managed to drive it out of business in about a year.
    The management was so bad that i know of one shop were all the staff quit on mass they were so sick off it.

anyway to some up music retail is a house built on sand