Break my first gen, get a 3G possibly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by I'm a Mac, Aug 21, 2008.

1. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

Right now I have 5 days left on my warranty, so I'm curious to see what would happen if my iPhone needed a replacement. Do you think they would replace my iPhone with a 3G? There haven't been any 1st-gens around since May, and they don't sell refurbished ones, so I would have a hard time believing that there is an abundance of 1st gens left. Any thoughts?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

They have first gens for replacements. No you won't get a 3G. Suck it up and buy one, you cheap ****.

3. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

They absolutely have 1st gens for replacement. Watched a girl get one the other day. Do you really think Apple would tell someone with a defective 1st gen "Sorry, you have to take this new phone and sign a new agreement and pay more for service."?

As for an "accident", I'm not sure what you could do to the phone that they would deem defective. You can't drop it...that's your fault. You probably can't brick it...they'll just restore it. You can't get it wet...they know.

So, as mentioned, just pony up the coin. Use your brain power to figure out how to pay for it instead of scam for it.

4. richg916 macrumors regular

Wtf?

Why the f**k do people always want SOMETHING for NOTHING?
    Have you ever heard of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrity :confused:

5. Surely Guest

Surely

Try doing it with your car or tv..... I'm sure it will work.

6. maxxscholten macrumors regular

Jesus lay off the guy, he's just asking a question.

In a simple and polite response: I doubt that you would receive a 3G as a replacement (although it would be nice!) and Apple does have an abundant supply of first generation iPhones for this reason.

Sorry for all the a******* and their bitterly sarcastic responses.

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

First of all, what was so bitter or sarcastic about my reply?

Secondly, how is 1 person calling 4 people a profane name any better than 4 people being bitter or sarcastic towards 1 person?

And last but not least, we're talking Apple in 2008, not Macy's in A Miracle on 34th St. There is no reason to be "simple and polite" in the face of someone trying to get one over on a company whose prices are already high enough without adding in the losses from little scams like our friend's. So get off your horse Robin Hood, and stop coddling the village shoplifter.

8. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you, for being sensible (and polite). I was just asking. I wasn't trying to scam the company or anything. Between my family and I, we've spent plenty of money on apple products AND I'm a shareholder. It's not that I couldn't afford one it's just that my parents don't like the idea of me getting one after I spent my money one a year ago, so I was wondering. No need to be rude, people. But, if you have any other ideas for convincing my parents to let me buy myself one (yes with my own money), I'd like to hear them.

9. dpierre macrumors regular

Speaking of high prices let's talk about their profit margin.

10. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Well, there's always the old "it will help us stay better in touch" line, especially if you get them to buy one too, get a family discount plan...and really push the free mobile-to-mobile minutes aspect.

Much easier to con your parents than an Apple store. ;)

11. Shot22 macrumors regular

I hope this question is just hypothetical....

12. richg916 macrumors regular

Your first post asked if your phone were to have an "accident" which seemed you were out to scam the company to get a new 3G phone.

Anyway... why don't you show your parents what they are going for on ebay. Should be more than enough to cover the cost of the new phone plus a little more. Maybe that would convince them?

13. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Good ideas, especially because my mom wants to get one, what about some b.s. like "they could always know where I am with GPS" or some reason why I need the 3G. Plus, do you guys think it's worth the upgrade? I mean, I can think of a lot of times where the GPS would be useful, (I'd never get lost walking places) AND it wouldn't take me freaking forever to load directions or anything for that matter. My nickname for edge is wireless dial-up. Have you ever tried buying an app over edge? big mistake! And the recessed headphone jack drives me crazy. I can't use any of my good headphones without taking around that stupid bulky adapter which I've forgotten multiple times.

14. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

So um, how are you a shareholder if you're not 18? I always love the "I own lots of Apple products and I own Apple stock, therefore I deserve new gadgets for free" argument.

If daddy signed as your custodian in Apple, then why won't he let you get a 3G?

15. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I think its possible to break the iPhone, but I have no idea how I would go about doing it. You would not get a new iPhone, you'd get an old one that is a refurb. Plus having a problem with "5" days left in warranty is rare and definitely looks like a scam.

You can EASILY sell your iPhone for 500 dollars on eBay right now. I sold my cracked 2G for 250 dollars on eBay in 12 hours by Buy It Now. If you have the original box and stuff that helps but not necessary.

Now, is it worth it? Well it certainly will get you a lot of money. The question is do you want to pay 30 dollars per month on your phone bill instead of 20. (Not to mention having to get a text plan). I definitely love the new iPhone speakerphone, headphone jack. The "GPS" feature isn't SO awesome as it is pretty slow for me even on 3G...but maybe that will be fixed sometime. Overall it is a nice device for the money.

16. maxxscholten macrumors regular

Sounds pretty bitter and sarcastic to me. Also, your response to me also sounded bitter and sarcastic. So just chill out man, and take it easy on the newcomers. ;)

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

ah Nooooooow you make a nice level headed post and make it seem like the other posters were the jumping monkeys. Good job.

18. maxxscholten macrumors regular

I can honestly say I've never heard that expression before haha

19. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

No, you will not be able to get a 3G replacement but you will have a brand new refurb that will probably fetch you more money on eBay.

20. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

You can make money selling it on eBay and getting the iPhone 3G.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

what i bolded in your first post sure makes it sound like if you could get away with scamming apple to get an updated iphone, you would

guess what, i dont care how much you spend on apple products , its never good to commit fraud which is what your posts come across as contemplating

22. maxxscholten macrumors regular

Actually it sounds like he's curious as to what would happen if his iPhone broke in that time period -- not "what would happen if I intentionally broke my iPhone so I could get a new one"

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well if thats what he meant i have no problem and am sorry. just stating how i interpreted it when i read it

24. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

I can confirm you DO get a 3G replacement, £1000 iTunes vouchers, and a brand new Macbook Pro to say sorry.:rolleyes:

25. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Ahahahahaha... seriously of course that's something for the Tour de France and this year's Olympics!

If you really wanted to undermine the big guys Apple or AT & T, you would need to do something a lot more underhanded. Personally I wouldn't suggest it because they can brick your iPhone with the kill switch. Just purchase it without any conniving k?