BREAKING: Google Goggles Is Heading to the iPhone This Year!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apple..., Aug 23, 2010.

1. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

2. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

3. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

I like the concept behind Goggles.

Hopefully they'll make Navigation, but you know how Apple will try to protect the more profitable pay navigation companies...

4. shandyman Suspended

where's the expected release date? all i see is 'this year' thats not a date...

5. toss002 macrumors regular

Anxious For This App

Yay, I'm anxious to have this app! I'll be something big on the iPhone. Can't wait.:p

6. aohus macrumors 68000

see how nice Google is? Theyre not grade a a$$holes like Jobs.

7. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Apples to oranges matey

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

9. doboy macrumors 68000

What a retarded comment. Google wants their product EVERYWHERE to make money. Duh!

10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I don't understand why it takes so long to bring Google Map Navigation to iPhone OS. I don't want to wait until iOS 5.

11. aohus macrumors 68000

doesnt really matter, google goggles doesn't work that well anyhow, even on android.

12. aohus macrumors 68000

blame Apple.

13. shandyman Suspended

why blame apple? google say they are still working on it at the moment, they have not actually finished it yet to submit to the app store? so at the moment, its google's fault...

14. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

This looks pretty cool. Looking forward to it.

15. lilo777 macrumors 603

Is not that exactly what he said? A$$holes to non-a$$holes? ;)

16. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i feel like navigation will come but not this year. if it was they would have mentioned it at the conference where goggles was announced.

and goggles is alright, my friend showed me it on his droid x but it didnt recognize a lot of things. i guess its still a developing app and will get better. im really interested in seeing swype, goggles, and navigation all come to iphone.

17. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

18. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Absolutely!! Been waiting for this one as well.

19. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

I've tried Google Goggles on the Droid and Droid X. It has never once recognized my iPhone 4. Trash software.

20. lilo777 macrumors 603

I do not think Goggles recognizes devices at all. Artwork, landmarks, places, wine but not iPhones.

21. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

It's apps or functions like these that make me question why I bought an iPhone 4 instead of an Android phone. I mean, I love my IPhone, but come on!

22. studio¹³¹ macrumors 6502

studio¹³¹

when i messed w/ goggles on a android phone, it recognized almost every random product i scanned. looking forward to it...

23. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

That's true, but to keep a competitive edge, a free navigation service would be nice. Why do you think Apple bought Placebase and Poly9?

The original MacRumor's article on Google Goggles didn't give any timeframe. This one does: "by the end of the year".

Me neither! :D

That's too true! Why do you think Google made Android an open platform? :rolleyes:

That's Google's fault. Not Apple's. I'm not entirely sure if Google Maps Navigation will come to the iPhone, but even if it doesn't, I'm sure Apple is already working on their own solution.

Yeah, I know. I've read some of the reviews (and saw the rating) on a friend's Droid X. While it's a neat concept, it doesn't seem to function all that well. :(

+1. :D

So am I... the question is, when? ;)

I agree. I'm sure it will get much better as time progresses. Swype is a possibility as a separate app, but won't be something that replaces the stock iOS keyboard (Apple would never allow it). I also expect Google Maps Navigation to come to the iPhone as well, I just don't know when. :(

No. Don't you remember the whole dilemma last year? Apple rejected it. :p

...and you don't think it will ever get better? :confused:

24. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

It's hard to believe Google is at fault here since they would benefit greatly from Google Navigation being on the iPhone. However, Apple would lose a lot of money by Google Navigation being in the App Store for free. They would lose 30% of all GPS apps, which is likely millions. Furthermore, AT&T is likely blocking this app because they charge for this service. Google Navigation would cause this service to die. And yes, I know there are other countries in the world, but unfortunately this is how it works. If AT&T doesn't want something, then Apple has a history of blocking it from the iOS.

So, if you follow the money trail, you can see who is not allowing what into App Store.