Carrier BREAKING: Verizon NOT trottling Unlimited

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DrakeMcEachern, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrakeMcEachern macrumors 6502

Verizon has decided not to throttle its unlimited data users. http://www.droid-life.com/2014/10/01/breaking-verizon-cancels-plans-for-network-optimization-of-unlimited-data-users/

2. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Before celebrating, does anyone have a link to a Verizon page with this statement? I've only seen it on Droid Life (no source cited) and a few other sites with the same quote and no source.

3. DrakeMcEachern thread starter macrumors 6502

I see nothing yet. It just says it's from a statement released by Verizon.

4. terraphantm macrumors 68040

This really makes me wonder if there's something going on behind the scenes with the FCC. I wonder if AT&T is going to make a similar announcement in the coming weeks

5. Advil macrumors 6502a

6. joelb727 macrumors regular

If they did, I'm also wondering if ATT will allow customers who just gave up their unlimited plans to get them back. I'm hoping so.

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

:rolleyes:

That.. from AT&T?? Really??

8. DrakeMcEachern thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think AT&T is under the same rules from the FCC regarding spectrum as Verizon

9. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

you are 100% correct about that

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Yeah that's not happening. Both companies would like to just eliminate the unlimited accounts, but don't want to face the PR disasters of doing so.

Even the throttling going away (or limits being raised) is very unlikely, but Verizon's announcement and the timing of these promotions make me suspicious. The double data promotion was the first time I was legitimately tempted to switch, which makes me thing that there is a slight possibility unlimited may become better soon

They're not, but the FCC did say they were looking into all the carriers' throttling policies after Verizon announce its plans. They did specifically mention concern that "network management" was being used as an excuse to slow down people to force them onto more expensive plans, rather than alleviating any real networking issues.

11. DrakeMcEachern thread starter macrumors 6502

AT&T throttled UDP users because they could. And it's my best guess they'll continue to do so.

12. mhdena macrumors 6502

Listen

You thought AT&T was doing you a favor by doubling your data? They were/are doing a 9th inning move to get as many off the unlimited as possible and enticing as many as possible to go for a doubling to get them to pay a little more in the process.

there is no going back., if you still have a family plan with unlimited, especially you all hold on to it.

13. Lightwave50 macrumors newbie

Part of me wonders if the double data promo did not play into this. Verizon feels a bit of pressure from its competitors and could not come up with a way to justify their position of congestion when they offer up 20+ GB of data for free.

14. DrakeMcEachern thread starter macrumors 6502

I concur

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

More like the FCC did not allow it to happen.
    Cause clearly when they purchased those LTE bands from the Government they agreed not to throttle or limit them in any way or form.
    Then decided to go for it and try to throttle and use AT&T and Tmobiles throttling practices as an excuse.

16. barkomatic macrumors 68040

True, but the FCC reportedly still questioned them (AT&T)about their throttling practices. That being said, I'm not holding my breath either. Good news for Verizon unlimited users though.

17. macher macrumors 65816

macher

Yep I ain't giving up our 4 UD lines.

18. mac.cali macrumors 65816

If AT&T reversed it's data throttling that will be huge! FCC is convinced that LTE is more than capable for handling the load. If they are right or not is debatable. Being a Verizon unlimited data customer, I'd be happy if AT&T did bring it back. Competition is a good thing for the consumer. It all started with T-Mobile. Thank you T-Mobile. It's too bad you don't work properly in my area or I'd be a customer of yours just based upon your beliefs.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It would be great if they could push AT&T to unthrottle but I'm not holding my breath.

20. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

A big thanks to FCC chair Tom Wheeler for making this happen :)

21. Jayson A macrumors 68000

I would just hate for Verizon to trottle me.

Damn trottlers!

22. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I agree. But I'm no longer dead set on switching to the mobileshare plans - I want to see how this plays out, if at all.

23. joelb727 macrumors regular

Wanted to share that I just contacted ATT cs and asked them to place both of my lines back onto my grandfathered plan. Since I only moved to mobile share in the past week, they said that they would open a case to do so (but no guarantee). I also confirmed that if i was able to get grandfathered back, that I would still be able to take advantage of the double data promo by 10/31 if I wanted to.

I may still go to the 30gm promo, but I too want to see if Verizon's new stance prods ATT to do the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.