Bribing for Reviews in AppStore

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ratattak, Nov 20, 2008.

?

Is it ok to Bribe for reviews?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    90.0%
  1. ratattak macrumors member

linked from Wired...

[​IMG]

What do you think? Go on over to the iTunes store and check out their reviews. There is a whole lot of reviews with 5 periods.

This is messed up and really the exact reason I avoid letting reviews sway my choices. Sad, really.

Attached Files:

2. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

Thats just sad! I guess I will have to stop trusting the reviews :(

3. milani macrumors 68000

milani

4. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

The bad thing is that they can't really do anything about it. :(

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

wow hope the developer gets banned by apple as this is unethical

6. ratattak thread starter macrumors member

unless they can prove it was the developer, I dont really feel there is anything Apple could do, right?

like i said right after you, unless apple has proof it was the developer, can they really do anything?

btw, i agree with you totally though. (if the developer had anything to do with it.)

heh, you just beat me!

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I voted yes, and I'll probably be the only one. But to be honest, whatever sells, sells. Whatever works, works.

8. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

9. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

/agreed

totally misleading

10. ratattak thread starter macrumors member

heh, you make a point. Even though I don't agree it's ethically correct, I respect your honesty.

11. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

[​IMG]
    :D

12. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I thought it was interesting how many 5 stars that got in such a short period of time. I mean no one even had any suggestions to improve it. Sounds pretty fishy to me.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you cant believe that can you? its misadvertising/unethical and against some laws

i got that from wikipedia for whatever that's worth

14. detz macrumors 65816

Part of me wants to buy it and leave a 1 star but I don't want to give the developer the $1.40

15. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It's not in Apple's Term of Service. I'm not saying it's right, but it's not illegal.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

buy it, leave 5 starts, get it free then go back and edit your vote or re start it?

apple does not write the law

false adverstising is illegal and this is pretty close.

17. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

1) Yes they do.

2) Wait, how is it false advertising? It's the user content that is false, not his app description. It's one thing if he is claiming his app does something that it doesn't, and people buy it, but it's another thing when the users say something about the product that is false.

I could go write a review right now about an App and it can say something completely fake. Is it false? Yes. Is it illegal? No, because I have no association with the application.

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

apple does NOT write the law.....

think of user reviews as testimonials advertising the app. bribing for reviews is false advertising fundamentally

you are not being bribed by the developer to do that now are you? see the difference?

19. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Apple can write whatever they want.

Bribing for reviews still isn't "false advertising fundamentally".

20. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

How is it any different than a company paying someone to talk good about a product for a commercial? And how is giving a good review illegal? It is most certainly not false advertising. It would be one thing if they were saying the app cooked their breakfast and folded their clothes, but all they are saying is that it's a good app. Perhaps the really do feel that way, although it was probably just for the money.

I'm not saying that it isn't wrong, but it's not illegal to write a good review for something.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if there are sales transactions going on, the FCC doesnt give a damn what apple rights if laws are being broken and to me, this seems likee it could possibly be a case of law breaking

ok what to you is false advertising?

charging for an app but then only giving your app away for free if you leave a 5 star rating isnt false advertising?

what do you think the developer wants the 5 star rating for? he wants it for advertsing purposes duh and trying to "trick" people into buying his app

seriously:rolleyes:

22. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Have you ever watched TV? I don't think you have. I believe people get paid ALL THE TIME to advertise products, whether it be legit or not. Haven't you ever seen weight loss pills? Or those countless emails about making you're peen bigger? ;)

Nothing about this illegal. It's wrong, but Apple more than likely won't do anything about it.

Seriously. :rolleyes:

23. dancavallaro macrumors regular

Someone should probably report this to Apple, I'm sure they'd want to hear about it and deal with it.

24. ratattak thread starter macrumors member

I completly agree. Whether it's illegal or not, I think morally, we can see and agree this is/was wrong. (the mturk page is no longer there.).

If anything, I think all reviews should be reset. Because whether the developer did it, there is no coincidence that people cashed in on this.

25. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

Does anyone have an email or a link where we can report this? I have been looking for a while now, but I didn't find anything.
    The reviews should be reset.