MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
'Brick' Refers to the MacBook Manufacturing Process

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

9to5Mac finally puts an end to 'Brick' speculation and claims that 'Brick' refers to the new manufacturing process for MacBooks.
The MacBook manufacturing process up to this point has been outsourced to Chinese or Taiwanese manufacturers like Foxconn. Now Apple is in charge. The company has spent the last few years building an entirely new manufacturing process that uses lasers (w/o sharks) and jets of water to carve the MacBooks out of a brick of aluminum.
9to5Mac speculates that this will give Apple strategic and technical advantages over other manufacturers, including improvements in complexity of case design, strength and quality. They also point out that Steve Jobs has been known to focus on the details of factory design with his NeXT startup in the 1980's.

The site also ties this back to recent comments by Peter Oppenheimer that Apple will continue to introduce state of the art products that their competitors are unable to match.

Finally, they expect that the MacBooks will indeed be released on October 14th.

Article Link

Comment

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
If this is true then I am paying this MacBook off, selling it and buying one :O

Comment

akira2501

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2008
inscribed

Maybe they will also let you inscribe them with messages, or for companies to insribe their company names on them just to make them harder to sell if stolen.

Comment

Freezerburnt

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
So does everyone agree - this is the product transition? The Macbook and Macbook Pros will be merged into a single line, with the internals being the difference between the high and low end models (all aluminum enclosures). October 14?

Comment

andyr2120

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
I m soooooooo excited.....:D

no more made in china?

This process only results in a better case design. They'll still need the usual boards and drives, etc. It could change the way those pieces go together, but they will probably still come from the same sources (in general).

Pretty cool, if it is true. And yeah, it could point to a redesign of all the macs -- why not? But maybe not right away....

I'm thinking that a style-conscious Mini replacement would be an ideal way to show off the new possibilities!

Comment

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Did the article said made in USA? Apple could have its own plant anywhere in the world.

This will be cool......hardware as solid as the OS (well as solid as 10.4 at least ;) ) .... (and hopefully as solid as 10.6 will be) (actually it's hard for me to tell how solid 10.5 is as i can't tell whether the crashes and kernel panics are due to the hardware or software....)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.