Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ballker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2020
Hi! My new M1 MBP got bricked a couple of days ago, I woke up and took the power cable out of the computer and it just wouldn't start, it just made som weird clicking noise from inside the computer. Anyways, I reached out to Apple Support and they told me to turn in my computer to my local Apple Reseller (Sweden).

Today I got the response that it was completely bricked and that they won't be able to backup my harddrive, and that the whole logicboard needs to be replaced. Apparently they say that the replacement part is not even close to being shipped to Sweden since the computer is so new.

So here I am without a computer since I sold my old one. :( Anyone got any advice as to what to do? Is there any way to get a new computer from Apple? It just doesn't feel right that I need to wait for so long for a product that is close to brand new.

Reactions: Poivremer

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
Have you talked to a senior advisor to explain the situation and request a replacement system? Between the age of the unit and the long lead time on repairs, I think this is a reasonable request. It's just a matter of speaking to the right person who both will relate to your situation and has authority to make this happen (I doubt standard advisors do.) Apple is usually good about these things.

ballker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2020
Have you talked to a senior advisor to explain the situation and request a replacement system? Between the age of the unit and the long lead time on repairs, I think this is a reasonable request. It's just a matter of speaking to the right person who both will relate to your situation and has authority to make this happen (I doubt standard advisors do.) Apple is usually good about these things.
How would I go about doing this? I did buy the mac directly from Apple

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
How would I go about doing this? I did buy the mac directly from Apple

If you bought the Mac directly from Apple, I would suggest calling the general line for Sweden, providing them with your case number if you have one, explaining the situation and how the current resolution is going to be very difficult for you without another computer, and then asking about a replacement machine.

ballker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2020
If you bought the Mac directly from Apple, I would suggest calling the general line for Sweden, providing them with your case number if you have one, explaining the situation and how the current resolution is going to be very difficult for you without another computer, and then asking about a replacement machine.
I will do that first thing in the morning. Thank you so much for your response! :)

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I will do that first thing in the morning. Thank you so much for your response!

First, go on the web and look up Swedish/EU consumer laws so you can quote them to Apple if they're not helpful.

You probably have a legal right to a replacement or refund in those circumstances (failed after only a few weeks, no timely repair available).

There may be additional protections if you bought the computer online/mail order rather than in a shop.

Last report is to complain to your credit card company.

ballker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2020
First, go on the web and look up Swedish/EU consumer laws so you can quote them to Apple if they're not helpful.

You probably have a legal right to a replacement or refund in those circumstances (failed after only a few weeks, no timely repair available).

There may be additional protections if you bought the computer online/mail order rather than in a shop.

Last report is to complain to your credit card company.
I have studied some law so I know that they are obliged to give me a new computer or repair mine in a "resonable amount of time". In Sweden this is about 3 months so I dont really have any legal backing in this dispute. Just hoping Apple will be good guys when it comes to this.

ballker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2020
Do not let them repair the M1. Return it and buy a new one, if you so desire. You are still under the return period.
I turned in my computer 4 days ago and they ordered the part today so now I cant really do anything like that I think

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I turned in my computer 4 days ago and they ordered the part today so now I cant really do anything like that I think
I would get on the phone to Apple. You have a right to return the one in question and ask for your money back, our exchange for a new one. I would not settle for allowing them to repair a computer that is still within the return window.

Your choice.

erikbutz

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2010
Hi! My new M1 MBP got bricked a couple of days ago, I woke up and took the power cable out of the computer and it just wouldn't start, it just made som weird clicking noise from inside the computer. Anyways, I reached out to Apple Support and they told me to turn in my computer to my local Apple Reseller (Sweden).

Today I got the response that it was completely bricked and that they won't be able to backup my harddrive, and that the whole logicboard needs to be replaced. Apparently they say that the replacement part is not even close to being shipped to Sweden since the computer is so new.

So here I am without a computer since I sold my old one. :( Anyone got any advice as to what to do? Is there any way to get a new computer from Apple? It just doesn't feel right that I need to wait for so long for a product that is close to brand new.
I had the same thing happen to mine this morning with the clicking noise. Some forums said this was due to being plugged in through a third party USB-C hub (which mine was). Just curious, was that the case for yours? I'm brining mine in to an Apple store today. Thankfully I still have my previous MacBook. Sorry for your troubles :(

ballker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2020
I had the same thing happen to mine this morning with the clicking noise. Some forums said this was due to being plugged in through a third party USB-C hub (which mine was). Just curious, was that the case for yours? I'm brining mine in to an Apple store today. Thankfully I still have my previous MacBook. Sorry for your troubles :(
I did have it plugged in with a third-party usb-c hub! HOPLAZA USB C Hub Type C Dock Adapter - USB C Dock 5 In 1 with 4K HDMI (30Hz), 2 666354896340 | eBay
I've kept on using this after they fixed my Macbook and haven't had any problems.
However, I did have the charger plugged in via the usb-c outlet on the hub and not straight in my macbook. Now I only charge directly and have the usb-c hub in the other port.
Did you have the charger through a hub?

Last edited:
Reactions: Quackers

erikbutz

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2010
I did have it plugged in with a third-party usb-c hub! HOPLAZA USB C Hub Type C Dock Adapter - USB C Dock 5 In 1 with 4K HDMI (30Hz), 2 666354896340 | eBay
I've kept on using this after they fixed my Macbook and haven't had any problems.
However, I did have the charger plugged in via the usb-c outlet on the hub and not straight in my macbook. Now I only charge directly and have the usb-c hub in the other port.
Yes, I was charging through the hub. Sounds like that somehow created the problem. How long did it take you to get the fix done? I about to head to the Apple store with my expensive paperweight ?

ballker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2020
Yes, I was charging through the hub. Sounds like that somehow created the problem. How long did it take you to get the fix done? I about to head to the Apple store with my expensive paperweight ?
Seems to be the problem then!
They said it would take up to 2 months for the part but I got the computer back in 1 week. They swapped the whole logic-board

Poivremer

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2020
Hi, I had same issue with 2 mbp M1, now I suppose it was my C usb hub.

AUKEY Hub USB C 8 in 1 USB Tipo C Adattatore Porta 4K HDMI, Porta 1Gbps Ethernet RJ45, Porta di Ricarica PD da 100W, 2 Porte USB 3.0 1 USB 2.0, Lettori SD e TF per MacBook PRO Air dell XPS Chromebook​

I bought 2 MBP M1 one has bricked after 3 days the otherone after 14 days. the second just while I was disconnecting the power cable from the hub. Retail gave me back money both time.

I wuold like to understand bettere the issuo as I really need to buy a MBP M1 for work.
Do anyone know where to find more info about this isssue and whent it will be solved?

Prorege1

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2020
Okay, no hub charging until this is sorted out.
Wonder if the lower power consumption for the M1 can be the issue when using older hubs?

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Hi, I had same issue with 2 mbp M1, now I suppose it was my C usb hub.

AUKEY Hub USB C 8 in 1 USB Tipo C Adattatore Porta 4K HDMI, Porta 1Gbps Ethernet RJ45, Porta di Ricarica PD da 100W, 2 Porte USB 3.0 1 USB 2.0, Lettori SD e TF per MacBook PRO Air dell XPS Chromebook​

I bought 2 MBP M1 one has bricked after 3 days the otherone after 14 days. the second just while I was disconnecting the power cable from the hub. Retail gave me back money both time.

I wuold like to understand bettere the issuo as I really need to buy a MBP M1 for work.
Do anyone know where to find more info about this isssue and whent it will be solved?
No but I can recommend reading everything you can about USB-C with regard to cables and dongles and hubs.
It's a minefiled. Some accessories can fry the port by demanding too much power, or so it seems, which, on a M1 means the logic board needs replacing.
Even cables matter.
It is a bit scary.

Poivremer

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2020
No but I can recommend reading everything you can about USB-C with regard to cables and dongles and hubs.
It's a minefiled. Some accessories can fry the port by demanding too much power, or so it seems, which, on a M1 means the logic board needs replacing.
Even cables matter.
It is a bit scary.
Thank you for the quick reply.
Yes it is wired, and also very strange there is no discussuons open about it, Actually I bought 2 MBP and both have bricked for a C+hub, this make me think that this MBP seems to be too weak.
Is it possible that there is any protection system from high demanding power? (Italy)

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Thank you for the quick reply.
Yes it is wired, and also very strange there is no discussuons open about it, Actually I bought 2 MBP and both have bricked for a C+hub, this make me think that this MBP seems to be too weak.
Is it possible that there is any protection system from high demanding power? (Italy)
I'm not sure whether it's a known cause or just suspected, to be fair. Maybe they'll be looking at that kind of thing if they have to keep replacing logic boards.
Even if it is a cause it's not necessarily Apple's fault that a third party dongle or other accessory wants to draw more power than the port can comfortably give.
But as you say, maybe they can protect the ports in some way in the future.

Poivremer

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2020
I'm not sure whether it's a known cause or just suspected, to be fair. Maybe they'll be looking at that kind of thing if they have to keep replacing logic boards.
Even if it is a cause it's not necessarily Apple's fault that a third party dongle or other accessory wants to draw more power than the port can comfortably give.
But as you say, maybe they can protect the ports in some way in the future.
Well, if really this is an any Usb C hub issue, for sure it has to mentioned by Apple, at least in terms like comunicating not comaptiblity with not certified hubs. Actually I've never experieced any issue like that with any other computers. And of course it vould be any risk with third parts brands, but this risk has to me warned officially. we are talking about to a computers bricked.
I personally think the new chip and logic board have to be sill tested deeply. some aspects have missed in the construction process, it can happen, and first or later the hot issue will be well known.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Well, if really this is an any Usb C hub issue, for sure it has to mentioned by Apple, at least in terms like comunicating not comaptiblity with not certified hubs. Actually I've never experieced any issue like that with any other computers. And of course it vould be any risk with third parts brands, but this risk has to me warned officially. we are talking about to a computers bricked.
I personally think the new chip and logic board have to be sill tested deeply. some aspects have missed in the construction process, it can happen, and first or later the hot issue will be well known.
It might be and it might not be. We don't know yet.
One user who had his logic board changed wasn't using a hub. He was using a dongle.
We'll know if Apple start issuing instructions that suggest that hubs should not be used with their products - though that becomes a problem when they only put 2 ports in laptops :)

LazytownStephanie1

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2021

I believe it has something to do with hub itself charging feature communicating with laptop m1 chip say hub is sending to much power to to laptop and MacBook is saying we are charged enough but hub isn’t sending the message back to brick plug in to the wall because It can’t understand m1 like the main charger brick can

LazytownStephanie1

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2021
It might be and it might not be. We don't know yet.
One user who had his logic board changed wasn't using a hub. He was using a dongle.
We'll know if Apple start issuing instructions that suggest that hubs should not be used with their products - though that becomes a problem when they only put 2 ports in laptops :)
I believe it has something to do with hub itself charging feature communicating with laptop m1 chip say hub is sending to much power to to laptop and MacBook is saying we are charged enough but hub isn’t sending the message back to brick plug in to the wall because It can’t understand m1 like the main charger brick can

LazytownStephanie1

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2021

cbondcarolina

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2021
Nebraska, USA
You can add me to the (growing) list of users who have been affected by this. I had a usb c hub that I purchased off Amazon connected to one of the computer ports and ran my factory cable and brick through the hub port. I also had an external display connected to my other computer port. Was using the display with the laptop lid closed, everything was working fine, and then the computer just turned off. Tried to reboot it several times using every possible.method with no success. Finally gave up and scheduled a service appointment at an Apple Store. Hope they help because I didn't have Apple Care when I made the purchase so...yeah.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.