Brightness control on Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ACD0236, Mar 3, 2017.

1. ACD0236, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017

ACD0236 macrumors newbie

ACD0236

Hi there!

I am running Windows 10 with Boot Camp and my 2012 Retina MBP. Hardware-wise it work just fine, but when I hook the laptop up to the Thunderbolt Display the brightness of it cranks up to the maximum moments after logging in to Windows.

If I set the TD as main screen and change the brightness with the dedicated keys on the MacBook the indicator appears on the top left of the TD but the laptop monitor's brightness does vary instead; the external display's does not. If I try to change it from Windows' preferences the cursor is grayed out. If I set the TD with other setups (duplicating instead of extending) and try changing the brightness the problem is the same.

Any hints on why this is happening, and/or how it could be worked around? Needless to say that this is preventing me to use the Thunderbolt Display while I am on Windows, and since I work a lot with Microsoft Access databases it would be a pity not to get this working properly.

Thank you very much!

Edit: from a previous thread I read of this tool. I ran the latest beta (the last stable has a problem with .NET Frameworks) and it reports a message about the program not being able to retrieve/access the USB HID (of what this is I have no idea) and suggests to close other software that is using it, but no other software (except for what is running in the background) is effectively running. At this point I'm quite stuck.

2. ACD0236 thread starter macrumors newbie

ACD0236

Sometimes the simplest things are the best (and I feel like an idiot): the Boot Camp control panel, found in the system tray in Windows, lets you change the brightness of the Thunderbolt external monitor. With this command I adjusted the external monitor's brightness, and with the physical Keys I can adjust the laptop monitor's brightness. It is still to be found out if automatic adjusting of the brightness level is working as it neatly does in macOS.