Brightness?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MozzTheNinja, Apr 22, 2012.

1. MozzTheNinja macrumors newbie

What level of brightness do you guys like to leave your iPad on. I personally like having the brightness all the way up but it eats up the battery too fast on the new iPad so I just leave it at the 50% mark.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I have it set to about 60% and auto. Usually, auto keeps it about right. Full would be way to bright even in a well lit room.

(iPad 3rd gen, in case you were referring to another model. Actually, my 2 and 1st gen were kept around the same, perhaps a bit lower setting, to give the same brightness level.)

3. Dkorda macrumors 6502

Generally about half... If its a dark environment, I cut it back.. Auto works good

4. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

1/3 less if I have the light off, more if I'm outside.

5. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

6. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

40% is more than enough for me. For those of you with brightness up above 80%, just try going at 50% for a bit. Your eyes adjust and you no longer need to turn it up to blinding, battery-eating levels.

7. ICEMAN 316 macrumors member

30%-40% indoors and 100% outdoors and auto brightness off. Read somewhere that turning auto brightness off saves battery:confused:

8. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

50% seems just right for me (I don't use it in sunlight). Auto off as I found that hopeless.

I have both wifi and 3G on all the time and get better than ten hours battery-life on an iPad 2.

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I keep the brightness on my iPad2 at about 10% and that's plenty for most situations...on the iPad3 I played with for two weeks I had to keep the level at ~45+% to have the same comfortable level and that ate the battery much faster so I decided to return it

10. emgoodman macrumors regular

Of course it depends on the level of brightness in the room but generally 40-60%.

I do find that brightness is the number one drain on battery. Amazing the difference in length of time the battery will last by just dropping it back to below the 50% mark.

If you really want to show friends how incredible the screen is though, at least , bump up to about 60%.

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

40% and auto brightness works good for me. I am suprised at how well auto works.

I just tried full brightness, NO WAY!:eek:

12. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

WOW, I could barely view anything on the screen at only 10% :eek:

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I keep mine off most of the time any only use telepathy to communicate with my iPad. My battery lasts forever...

:rolleyes:

14. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

75-80% daytime indoor viewing. 100% in indirect bright natural light. 10-20% in dark room.

15. transphasic macrumors member

I am finding that the longer I use it, the lower the brightness setting i use. Went from 50% to now about 20 or 30% for surfing/email, then about 85% for watching movies.

16. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I keep mine at 50%, auto works well for dark environments.

17. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Ditto.

I use the iPad outside on the patio to read the morning paper. Or at the local coffee shop. 100% brightness.

At night, in bed, it's less than 50%. Or if the wife's asleep, as low as possible :D

18. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

ZBoater, how's that telepathy working out for you (and with a cool skill like that), why do you even need an iPad:p

I had the brightness slider on the iPad2 turned all the way down without the "auto on" (so I called that 10%) and the panel was much brighter than the iPad3 I've been playing with for the last two weeks...the iPad3 screen was "sharper" though.

I decided to keep the open box iPad3 I got due to the price for the 64Gb 4G version compared to the new 32Gb 3G version that I received as a gift last week as I realized that I wanted 64Gb of storage so the ~$118 was worth the extra $$ spent...the rest of the "bells & whistles" on the new iPad are ok but I wasn't so concerned with the "better screen" or the "better camera" (compared to the iPad2) as I realized I just wanted the additional storage.

19. Sn0wball macrumors regular

~55% in normal daylight, 100% in full sunlight (although there's often not all that much difference between 70-100%), and 0% in pitch darkness when sneaking online in bed when I should be asleep.

20. I like cats macrumors newbie

I like cats

My iPad is always at 10-15%, my eyes have adjusted to the darkness! My iPhone is always on 0% unless I'm out (in which case I'd put it to about 30%). I rarely take my iPad out though.

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It's not. The dead pixels, pink hue and light bleeds are giving me these splitting headaches... ;)

22. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Normal indoors, slider's width below half-way mark, so maybe 40-45%

At night/dim room, lowest is even often too bright
    Sunny day, max.