Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
Depreciation on these won't be pretty next year when the next greatest gold plated iPhone comes out

I'm also assuming Genius Bar warranty will be voided

I'm gonna wait and see how it fares with the public before deciding to buy or not...

No doubt, bit if you're paying $70,000 for a phone you're probably not too worried about a repair bill for a broken screen or whatever.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
No doubt, bit if you're paying $70,000 for a phone you're probably not too worried about a repair bill for a broken screen or whatever.

You missed my sarcasm

I'm not in the market :p

A 70k gold plated phone is proof some people truly do have too much money and do not know what to do with it

d4zza

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Whoever buys one of these really needs to examine themselves! I'm do believe if you earn your money you can choose to spend it however you wish but a gold plated phone? Really?!

Reactions: 5105973

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
471B8907-6931-4BD3-B115-666005578AFC.jpeg
Whoever buys one of these really needs to examine themselves! I'm do believe if you earn your money you can choose to spend it however you wish but a gold plated phone? Really?!

macs4nw

macrumors 601
They haven't thought about signal attenuation and wireless charging. Oops.
Aren't the backs of the new crop of iPhones rumored to be glass for that reason? Not sure how they could plate the rear glass, in any case gold's electrical resistivity and conductivity ratings are similar to and right up there with aluminum and copper, and better than stainless steel, the rumored material for the surround banding.

You may have a point but Brikk hopefully didn't overlook such details for this milestone anniversary edition iPhone at that super premium price point.

Edited for sober second thoughts.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
When I was in Santa Monica, I saw quite a few Middle Easterners, some of whom had diplomatic plates on their cars. Two of the women in this crowd I saw had iPhones that appeared to be gold plated. They were very stylish attractive women who seemed to have the best of everything on, but the gold plated iPhones were distracting. They were too ostentatious.

Reactions: simonmet

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
$70k to Saudi royalty and Hollywood A Listers is $10 to many of us. Won't even miss it if they lost that amount.

That's the market this phone is for. Not us 9-5'ers.

ryanasimov

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
$70k is a pretty ballsy markup; I found an online calculator that says 250 grams of yellow gold is only worth about $9,777.18.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
People can spend their money on whatever they want. The same thing could be said about people who buy Macs, iPhones, and Apple Watches.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I would guess the kind of people who would buy this are not worried about a $60k markup, as many of the customers probably make that amount in a short amount of time themselves. It would be hypocrisy to suggest someone's time and labour wasn't worth that if the potential buyer receives that much (or more) for their own time and labour.

But yeah, to us 'normal' people it's ludicrous, obviously. But it's all relative.

As for how it looks... it's not to my taste. Happily. Good luck to anyone who earns enough to afford one in a non-unethical manner and who has different taste to me and likes one enough to buy one. *shrugs*

ask the apple watch edition owners to see if they regret their purchase yet
Honestly if I were the type of person who would buy a solid gold Apple watch (I'm not) meaning mostly a) tons of disposable income and b) extremely into fashion/display of wealth. Then at this point in time I wouldn't regret it. The fact that they were only available for a year increases their value, and for me personally nothing in the series 2 and (rumored) series 3 would be huge necessities. As a Series 0 purchaser myself (sport), I'm very happy with the longevity of it. The OS continues to improve and I expect to be full satisfied with it up till (at least) series 4. And I am one of the people who actually enjoys and uses my Apple Watch.

My biggest concern going forward (especially with a gold watch) would be depleted battery, but that can easily be replaced. I bet Apple would even do that at no cost (but most people spending over $10k on a watch probably wouldn't care about a battery replacement cost).

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Wish I had the ability to mock up an iPhone glued to a literal brick of gold to look like the old Zach Morris / Wall Street brick phones.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Trumping will be ordering 3 of these.
Ha, with the way he seems to love gilded furniture you would think so, but by all accounts, as reported over on Android Central, his pride and joy was a beat up OLD Samsung. I think they had to pry that phone out of his hands and give him a more secure one. He's not very ostentatious as regards his clothing and accessories.
[doublepost=1505173857][/doublepost]
Imagine the bleak inner world of someone who would buy one of these. Straight out of a Bret Easton Ellis novel.
The ladies I saw in Santa Monica with phones that looked like this seemed upbeat and happy, so who knows?

Mine is not designer showplace of a home and my life is full of treasured hand me downs and preowned goods and rescued pets and friends I've helped and causes I've supported. But until I put every spare dollar I have into charity, I have no room to speculate on the inner world of anyone else.

The fact I hope to buy an iPhone X says I'm not putting every spare dollar I have into changing the world for the better. It's purely selfish and definitely unnecessary, since I already own several good smart phones since 2016. (I owned only one up to last year when I went a little crazy with deals on Android phones).

I know it's a matter of scale, but selfishness is selfishness whether it's about $12, $1200 or $12,000.

Reactions: ProwlingTiger

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Now, see, THAT is a premium phone.
[doublepost=1505176711][/doublepost]
For the billionaires who need to rub their d!<ks in people's faces.

No. Billionaires don't need a gaudy phone to rub in people's faces. They are Billionaires. They have homes in Monaco, G5s, and sports teams. This seems more like for the cousin of a famous rapper who is also on his "security team."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.