Bring Back the Love

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by mac 2005, Sep 11, 2007.

1. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Ever since the launch of a certain Apple-branded telephony-based product this summer, it seems the level of discourse in MacRumors forums has become somewhat hostile. I've noticed a significant number of posters that love to s**t toss on anyone who raises concerns with an Apple product/service -- even though these posters have been on the forum only since June, July, August or September. Further confusing to me is how these posters have already acquired an avatar; in fact, several of them have made 1,000-plus posts -- many of them rants. :rolleyes:

I understand there are probably enough rules in place to keep the mods busy, but do we need more moderation to weed out the hostile posts? Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion; but do we as a community want MacRumors to be so vitriolic?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

We have tons of mods. But we can't and don't see everything, so if you want a community that isn't completely infested with trolling and flaming, just report stuff with this little fellow [​IMG].

It's that simple.

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

heh... I can see what you are saying... there's definitely a negative undertone to some threads... but unfortauntely you can't mod-away negativity or tone.

I think just being more positive/helpful and ignoring the negative folk is perhaps the only long terms solution.

arn

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I would also add to report posts that contravene the forum rules, not the ones people happen to not just like for one reason or another.

5. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I have noticed this too, it surfaced first just before the launch of the iPhone. I will also shamefully admit that after reading these post I will also sometimes post negative replies either to the thread or in other ones. There have been a few times where I've dwelt on my posts and either removed all of the text or reworded what I wrote to make it more pleasant.

We all need to take responsibility and as Blue Velvet said, report inappropriate posts, and not answer negative posts with more rudeness and trolling. Doing this will ensure MacRumors remains a safe and friendly environment.

6. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

What really started it all was Apple allowing Windows on Macs..

Brought in a whole lot of Windows thinking attitudes.

Just an opinion mind you.:)

7. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Could be, my memory doesn't go back that far so I do not remember. Even though I was not a member here when Apple first went to Intel I was reading the forums.

8. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

More than that, I think it's Intel. ;) And bitterness over the cancellation of the PowerBook G5. :mad:

(Oh.. my Lord, did I just kick THAT old horse?)

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

10. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Hey Now! You're giving away secrets for private forums!!

11. philbeeney macrumors 6502

philbeeney

That's the sort of offer that should be advertised to get everybody joining MacRumors. :p

12. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Its more then just that I think. With apples increased market share our small clique(mac users) has grown massively. Even when I joined in 2003 iPods were still relatively unknown by most people. Now everyone has them.

13. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Looks like Mad Jew is going to have lots of women AND men knocking on his door. Not that there's anything wrong with that :D

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I couldn't possibly hump all the newbies' legs. I'd need a lot of help. I can hump all the new contributors' legs though...

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

What about existing contributors? :p ;) :D :)

16. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Right on - I missed out on the humping of legs too.

What was this thread about anyways? the level of discourse here? Oh yeahh.... :) Um, well, I guess I could comment in a constructive fashion too... This group has always had a sense of humor about things, which is part of the fun I have here. The negativity has always been around too - but I tend to tune into some of the long term members, and still see a lot of humor, intelligence, and honest opinions and it compensates for the negativity of some.

I think it would be great if there were less flaming, and more constructive feedback - and yes there is a wee bit more negativity than in days of yore, so let's all hug it out and have some fun here.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut