Bring on those Bluetooth earbuds...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by navaira, Feb 18, 2016.

1. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

So I keep on reading everywhere how 3.5mm jack is antiquated technology and we should thank Apple for removing it mercifully. Very well. I'm ready.

Here is my use case. I am a blacksmith, I work in a very dusty environment. It's a physical job and sometimes my (cable) earbuds – 5 euro on eBay, Sony MH-750 (I bought two pairs to save on shipping, as I ruin them on average once every 3-6 months) land on the floor and I stomp on them or drop heavy objects. So, yeah, they die. What I am looking for is:

– an element of noise cancelling (hence earbuds; those simply go deep enough to limit outside noise which is handy when you're grinding metal)
    – dirt resistant (water resistant is nice because rain happens, but dirt resistant is a must)
    – battery life of 10 hours or more (I use them all day at work and I also commute)
    – possibility of somehow attaching them to my clothing, or something that holds them around the neck, so I don't drop them (the models I saw were $99+ and I am not going to buy new $99 headphones every 3 months)
    – reasonably good sound, I mean, they have to beat my €5 Sony headphones which sound really good (impossibly good for that price).

So all in all: does something like that exist? If yes, how much is it and how much does it drain the phone battery compared to cable earbuds?

2. Minarets macrumors 6502

Jaybird bluebuds X. The originals were going for $58 at Walmart in store on clearance since the x2 are out now. Great sound and battery for wireless

3. navaira thread starter macrumors 68040

navaira

They look pretty good. Can't find them for $58 though! ;) Wish it was 10 hours instead of 8... do they have some sort of quick charge? Like I could connect them during lunch break and squeeze an additional 1-2 hours?

4. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

What does your use case have to do with removing the jack? Your phone already has Bluetooth.

I personally prefer something over the ear since buds work loose.

5. navaira thread starter macrumors 68040

navaira

I'm just having a little laugh at the expense of the "Apple is God for removing functionalities!" crowd.

6. Minarets macrumors 6502

Yeah 1 hr charge is basically full battery.

7. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I totally agree with living the freedom of Bluetooth but I haven't found Bluetooth earbuds that have super good audio quality. When that happens, I'll gladly move on from my wired ones.

I've had the JayBirds and while they are nice, they don't come close to my wired ones.