Bring this thing to Canada already!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by billabong, Sep 19, 2007.

1. billabong macrumors 6502

Any others Canadians feel left out in the cold with the lack of any iPhone news for us. Europe is getting it now and still nothing for us. It has to be just around the corner if rogers would get off there high horse and lower the damn data packages... I just saw one of these for the first time this weekend at the seattle Apple store, and I was amazed! It was so simple, and sleek, I just can't wait to finally get one. Anyone else have any input as to why we don't have it yet? I say we all bombard rogers with e-mail regarding the iphone.

2. Ill Mitch macrumors member

Ill Mitch

I'm almost considering driving down to the Buffalo Apple store and picking up an iPhone to unlock it here. :eek:

I don't see iPhone coming over the border until Rogers lowers their ridiculously priced data plans, which might not be for a while.

If Rogers is still getting thousands of customers on these expensive plans the last thing they want to do is have unlimited data plans for less money. :rolleyes: :mad:

3. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I feel for my Canadian neighbors, but it is a bit amusing to see this unfold.

4. Joined:
    Sep 19, 2007
    I am dying right now wanting to get an iphone... theres a couple reasons why I am waiting right now...

right around the corner is going to be the 1.1.1 or whatever firmware release.. at this point we will see if it relocks any of the the unlocked iphones. It will probably have a whole bunch of new/updated features..

it would suck for myself, and any other canadians who drive across the border, unlock the phone, come back and have it be disabled soon after..

it really doesn't make sense for apple to go ahead and try and relock the iphone.. it only means huge profits for them.. so i wouldn't put it as much of an issue...

nonetheless, it would probably be smarter to wait a couple weeks or so .. but thats my opinion

also, you asked why we don't have it yet.. one of the reasons is the ridiculous data rates we have here in Canada. and lack of an unlimited plan.

another reason, so ive heard, is that rogers wanted to brand the iphone with their bootup screens, their 'shopping' menu and a logo on the physical phone itself.. apple refused and neither side would budge..

I think that if we are going to get an iphone here, it wont be at least until Q1 of 2008. Rogers needs to shape up a few things before they can successfully sell the iphone.

Ive read reports about the iphones release in europe. Apparently a law in europe is that all phones must come unlocked. Which means that all european firmware releases would have to leave the phone unlocked. the hackers would simply have to copy that firmware and release it in north america and voila! unlocked, full access to the phone.

But don't hold me to that.. we probably won't know until november when the phone is released in Europe.

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Send an email to Roger's. I think that is were the break down is. Email them and tell them they must comply with Apple because they are the all knowing company, or something like that.

6. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I'm seriously thinking about having a friend buy me one from the States and then unlock it and use it on Fido.

7. NJDevils44 macrumors regular

NJDevils44

I live in Vancouver, got one fully unlocked by myself so I have no complains :p

8. atropos macrumors regular

Roaming Data fee is cheaper than local Service Provider

I just can't wait.... and I just sign 2 year deal with ATT in US. Bring it back to Canada..... and you know what... the ATT data roaming charge is cheaper than Fido regular charge(or even Rogers)... :eek: 1 cents pre kb versus 3 cents pre kb or 22 dollar pre Mb......

9. billabong thread starter macrumors 6502

I just called good ol' Rogers and they said the same thing they said back in june. "I'm sorry I cannot give you any information on that at this time" "Everyone is calling and asking since it was announced"... Well why don't you guys, get your act together and release the damn thing then.

10. adamyoshida macrumors regular

I don't think that it's ever coming to Canada.

I mean - we don't have the iTunes TV Store more than two years after the video iPod came out.

Hell, we don't even have TiVo up here. Not officially, at least.

So, yeah, I don't think that Rogers will make enough money on it to release it - and I don't think that Apple will compromise the experience enough to meet with Rogers' terms.

Sucks for us. But, let's face it, particularly in the area of media and the like, a lot of things suck about this country.

11. jasonsmith macrumors member

Its unlocked... why bother. Just so good ole Ted Rogers can make money off of the sales and contracts?

Buy one, unlock it and feel proud that you have circumvented the BS.

12. billabong thread starter macrumors 6502

But an unlocked iPhone in canada is kinda like and iPhone 0.5

You can't use visual voicemail, can't really use internet whenever you like unless you want to be shafted with a $400 monthly bill, and you have the risk of an update rendering your phone unusable... I wish it would just be official already...

13. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

you can't use internet whenever you want? what kind of regulations do you have on wireless internet?

14. billabong thread starter macrumors 6502

haha no no, you can use wifi if it's available. I just mean that the data rates are insane here in canada, that using the iPhone would end up costing you about $300 in data a month or more...

15. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

must be all that free health care sucking up the bandwidth =D

16. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

no, no, no. Its the free college tuition.

17. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Wait... how do you do this? Do you need a US credit card? Mailing address I presume. Do you use it for voice calls as well?

My plan is to get an iPhone, get the 1.1.1 flash update with the EDGE on/off switch, leave it OFF, and use it primarily as a plain cell phone and on Wifi. I was going to unlock it and use it with Fido, but I never even considered just signing on for a standard US plan.

Especially now that the CAD has hit parity with the US! Wow!

18. jasonsmith macrumors member

VVM not required if you answer your phone. I get about two VM messages a year. Where I am, WIFI is all over the place, where it isn't is usually where I don't need to to connect.

Really, don't let "what it can do" override "what you will do". Because you will not be checking the internet everywhere you are.

Haven't tried it myself but have heard that edge licks anyways.

Being mindful of your unlock is not hard to do. All it means is that you should wait for a day and see what people are saying about a update. If you do lock it up again where simply re-unlocking doesn't work then it would be another short wait until its fixed up again.

Just stick to you current plan and continue about your business. The only thing that would be better is more text message allotment. It is so easy to sms on this thing, I can see me hitting at least 300 a month.

Sorry... I am quite anti-Apple right now. Makes me happy to think of all the iPhones out there that are NOT making money for them.

19. jasonsmith macrumors member

At 59c a minute your excitement won't last very long. AT&T will also cut you off if your just roaming.

20. candan9019 macrumors regular

If only that were true......

Anyways even if the iPhone is released in Canada I refuse to go back to Rogers, they are the worst company imaginable.

Besides I still have 2 years on my contract with Telus and I am much happier with them.

21. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

I am curious as well, did you get a US number on your iPhone? Wouldn't that cost your canadian friends/family $$$ just to call you? Or did you manage to get a Canadian number on it but use ATT?

22. atropos macrumors regular

I have SSI and US address, so I can sign with ATT, and I did unlock and using fido service too, and ATT have ATT canada plan, which with 1 cent pre kb for data and 59 cents pre min for call. Also they have data roaming plan which is 24.99 pre month with 20Mb and 2cents pre kb after limit excess.

BTW, I remember the ATT ppl say they may allow SIN instead of SSI to sign with ATT... :eek:

23. jasonsmith macrumors member

ah my friend they all suck. There is no winner in Canada, the CRTC has assured that.

Competition is the only determining force in making a company better. Even Apple who gives out the image that they care actually don't. It's just clever marketing... it's all about the money $$$$$.

Who can blame them though, we all buy into it.

24. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I feel for those in Canada. I'm not sure why Apple are shunning you guys to the extent that they are, but I can only assume that an agreement with a Canadian network hasn't been forthcoming. That or perhaps Steve just doesn't like the cost of doing business there :mad:

25. atropos macrumors regular

Most of my friend and relative are living in US or other country, so I m good with it, but I still think how to merge two number to one.... because Fido call forwarding seems can't use in long distance call....