British people are notoriously BAD at accepting compliments...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iphonepiephone, Jun 29, 2011.

1. iphonepiephone macrumors regular

Okay, so I am British and that's cool, but if someone pays me a compliment, I would think that it would be rather insulting to throw that compliment back in their face as if they had just said it for no reason... and so I accept it (and it also makes one feel great too!) - why would someone YOU KNOW compliment you for zero reason or benefit to them?

I just paid a girl on FB a compliment (known her for years) by saying that the clothes she was wearing "accentuated her positives" - and half an hour later, along comes a comment from her sister "Ergggh, that's GROSE!!" (yeah, can't even spell "gross" ^_^) and it made me feel extremely, and irrationally, angry with the sister.

Brits are oddballs, and I am a Brit. Either wait for the sister to accept or reject the compliment, or **** and stop being such a cynic! Grrr

</rant>

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

To be honest, it could sound like a rather clumsy come-on. :)

3. iphonepiephone thread starter macrumors regular

Could do, but one can read ANYTHING into ANYTHING if their mind is that way inclined.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

One could also be slightly more circumspect in one's choice of wording so as to avoid misinterpretation.

5. iphonepiephone thread starter macrumors regular

.True.

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Why, thank you. It's very kind of you to say so. :)

7. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I think the intent of the comment was genuine, but perhaps the wording could've been adjusted a bit.

I can see how this might play out. You posted a harmless, but genuine, comment on her FB expecting her to read it and be like "awww...that's sweet of him." When in reality though, she (probably with the aid of her sister) is wondering what you think her negatives are and getting all riled up about that; thus completely missing the point of the compliment :p

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

9. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

When you say you said she was wearing something that "accentuated her positives" you didn't actually say "that top makes your boobs look huge!" did you? 'Cause that would be, like, grose (sic).

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

lol....well no doubt you meant well, but your compliment sounds like something one would say in an attempt to avoid offending someone who has just asked an awkward question

her; "does this dress make me look fat???"
    you; "er, um, ah.........it certainly accentuates your positives."

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just say she has big boobs.

12. ender land macrumors 6502a

To be fair, isn't that the point of the interwebs? To make perfectly innocuous things somehow scandalous?

I'd say the sister did a good job ;)

13. remmy macrumors 6502a

Why didnt you just say that dress is nice or you're looking great rather than it makes your tits look big?

14. Messy macrumors 6502

I think what we need is a photo of your sister.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What I think is;
    A comment was paid to someone who is clearly young with a stupid, potentially younger sister. And they just don't understand.