Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Britney Spears has announced that Glory, her first album in three years, will be available on Apple Music from August 26, in what looks like another high-profile exclusive for the streaming service.

Spears revealed the news yesterday through her Twitter account and called the fresh release "the beginning of a new era", as she notified fans they could pre-order the album on iTunes from midnight Wednesday Eastern Time.

Co8sK-mUEAEV-Lk.jpg

While it's unclear if Glory will remain exclusive to Apple Music, the album's streaming debut is another victory for Apple in its battle for music service supremacy, coming quick on the heels of news that R&B singer Frank Ocean's long-awaited album Boys Don't Cry will also be released exclusively on the service this Friday.

Other recent high-profile exclusive Apple Music releases have included Drake's Views album, Taylor Swift's 1989 World Tour LIVE film, and Katy Perry's single "Rise".

Rival streaming service Tidal has tried to fight off Apple's competing service with its own album exclusives, but a series of tweets by Tidal co-owner Kanye West last week suggest the company is looking to negotiate a buyout deal with Apple.

Earlier in the year, Kanye said his new album The Life of Pablo would stay exclusive to Tidal and "never" be made available on Apple Music, only for it to appear on Apple's streaming service the following month.

Article Link: Britney Spears' New Album 'Glory' to Stream Exclusively on Apple Music

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Its the year 2016 and those record labels still dont understand how things have changed. It is truly blowing my mind. Instead of trying to reach as many legit people as possible they keep trying to make "exclusives" happen which only draws people into downloading illegally. Do they really expect people to pay for different streaming services that do the same thing? Smh

Also did they faceswap her face on that album cover or something?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm glad to see she's well enough to make music again. She was just a kid when I first got married. It's weird to see her looking older, close to my age, frankly, but still pretty. I don't know what kind of crap her handlers put her through to have made her break down so badly, but that poor woman should have had better care growing up. I was never particularly a fan, but the kids were and thought she put on a good show, lip-synced or not, and made the effort for her fans.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Yet another "exclusive" crap market practice again.

Such does help to gain PR boost for those artists though.

Reactions: Sandstorm

palmerc

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Exactly, all these exclusive deals ruin the major selling point of music streaming. If you're not going to get all the music from one place and each streaming service has their own exclusives, people are going to switch back to downloading illegally.

I don't think that is true. First, he with the most money wins. Apple will likely have the most exclusives. Second, a song that isn't on your music service doesn't exist. If Apple can get to 80-90% of the streaming market does a non Apple Music track exist as far as the world is concerned?

While buying and gutting Spotify might be disallowed, exclusive tracks are something Apple can do and afford.

Reactions: Speechless

teme

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Second, a song that isn't on your music service doesn't exist.

It does exist in radio/Youtube/Twitter etc. and people will know it exists. If it doesn't exist in a streaming service, then it's going to get downloaded illegally and added to the local music library. Exclusives may be good for Apple Music in short term, but they're not good for streaming business overall. That business is still growing and the biggest competition are free alternatives like YouTube and illegal downloads. If it's going to be "this exclusive here, that exclusive there" then the potential new users will say "well, I just keep downloading stuff and get all those exclusives".

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
There is a big change in listening habits as one gets older.

As a teenager, I used to be in front of the radio at night, ready to TAPE anything new or the latest.
(Remember TAPES?) to have it at parties etc. Also, following ones favorites.

Then life takes over for 30 years with a job, family etc. and one listens to the occasional song, buying an album (Remember albums?) or later CDs (Remember CDs?)

Once one grows out of music due to other interests or age, it becomes clear that

a) the music scene is oversaturated with a lot of mediocre talent and fads
b) it is not important at all
c) we all go back to the music we grew up with (Which we have, so no purchase necessary)

So, anybody with half a brain just has to eventually concede that there is no point to jump onto anything exclusive.

I look at it this way:

If I have lived all my life without something that comes along, I can still continue to do so.

All a matter of patience and willpower. There are no must haves (well maybe in business),
but a lot of great to have products.

Unfortunately today's immediate gratification generation doesn't seem to be able to see what is really important.
How else can a Paris Hilton, Kardashians or other fake people become celebrities?

Speechless

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2015
Non-gentrified Brooklyn.
Exclusives are really good. Just look at Drake. The thing about Apple is when you exclusively stream it, it actually feels exclusive because they treat the material right. I have no idea why a certain few are complaining..do you guys even subscribe to AM or are you just happily ignorant to the music scene of today? Do you know how many young adults are losing their mind over this on social media?

Apple is getting HUGE stars to exclusively stream on their platform and I have never heard of someone complaining over it except on this forum, lol.

P.S. I'm not the biggest Britney fan but after this article I streamed that song Private Show and wow is it good. I'm not ignorant to the fact that she's huge either. Just giving her a quick search on Twitter and people are losing their minds. Apple clearly knows what they are doing.

Reactions: barger01

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Its the year 2016 and those record labels still dont understand how things have changed. It is truly blowing my mind. Instead of trying to reach as many legit people as possible they keep trying to make "exclusives" happen which only draws people into downloading illegally. Do they really expect people to pay for different streaming services that do the same thing? Smh

They don’t care. They will continue do this to squeeze just a bit more money out of it until they have nowhere else to go. They are counting on short-term and mid-term benefits. Ultimately, they just want to make profits. As long as a lot of money is flowing, they will not accept any radical changes or loss of decision-making power.

princessgleek

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2015
Apple exclusives are only for the most part a couple of weeks then they land everywhere else, I do expect a full other high profile albums to be exclusive to apple for a week or two, certainly Katy Perry's next album. I doubt Spotify will get many or any exclusives while they have a free subscription

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.