Britons now richer than Americans

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Queso, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Queso macrumors G4

Listen up people of North America*. According to this article over at the BBC (who of course will be completely impartial on the subject matter), it appears your old Colonial masters have risen once again to our rightful place as your superiors and can now cheerfully wave our Sterling in your miserable Dollar-earning faces. To quote:-

I hope you're all happy with your new lowly status, and you can always console yourselves by repeating the mantra that money isn't everything and reorganising your society into some form of collective communes or something. Meanwhile we will of course be glad to throw you some loose change next time we step over you after an evening quoffing Verve at the opera. I bet you all wish you'd let the tea stay on the boat now don't you? :p

* Canadians and Latin Americans excepted

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Great, now fix those sodding teeth of yours. Bloody Wankers. ;)

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

let me know when your economy and military power exceed ours haha

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Unfortunately for you brits, everything is so much more expensive there that you lose your advantage.

I suggest touristing in the U.S. Clearly we need your money ;)

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

:)

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm rather surprised by this, actually. Probably just the area I live in though. Spokane probably has one of if not the lowest cost of living of pretty much the whole country...and while it's not a bad place, it has a pretty bad hobo problem (bums and homeless), tons of meth (which is why there are so many homeless, they're almost all druggies) and I see quite a bit of poverty.

I've been over to Britain and I see tons and tons of fancy expensive cars everywhere I go, while the nicer cars over here are rarities.

Add into the fact that the pound is worth far more than the dollar, I'd always assumed the average British person carried more money than the average American person (although the cost of living there is considerably higher so the Briton isn't necessarily "richer").

I'm curious if the fact that we have a number of absurdly rich people over here (Bill Gates, for example) skews the results at all, if they're taking averages.

I await and expect the replies telling me how wrong I am :D

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Pssh, whatever, I was planning on moving to Canada anyway.:)

8. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

9. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Well, this is based on "real" GDP, meaning the exchange rate determines it. So the UK's rise relative to the US is due almost entirely to the dollar's decline, not in any large increase in UK's GDP.

As the article notes, in terms of PPP, the US is still far ahead (for the timebeing).

10. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I wouldn't say the US is far ahead. According to Wikipedia, the US is at fourth place by purchasing power parity, with a PPP adjusted per capita income of $43223. The UK is at the 13th place, with a PPP adjusted per capita of income of $35486. Luxembourg is in first place, with a PPP adjusted per capita of income of $81511. Now that's far ahead! :eek:

11. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

But the US has George Bush, so I'm guessing the UK wins that argument :confused:

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

to Luxemburg i go! lol jk

hey now President Bush isn't bad

now if you said gates, i would have understood

13. danidoll521 macrumors regular

I would unfortunately have to agree that the UK wins that argument...so sad, but true. :(

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Luxembourg is an unusual case because the country's workforce largely commutes in. Luxembourg also has an extensive banking industry (larger than its proportional share should be). If we go to the next country after that (and the several after it) the numbers are very close (between the high $30 thousands and mid $40 thousands).

15. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I've never been to the UK, but it sounds like you're comparing Spokane to London. Spokane is nowhere near indicative of the nation's wealth. It very much depends where you are as to whether or not you see expensive cars often or not. Here in San Diego, BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche are quite common makes of car. And when I'm in Washington, it's not terribly uncommon to see a Bentley or Aston Martin every once in a while. I think what you're seeing isn't that the UK is richer than the US, but probably that wealth in the UK is far more evenly distributed than in the US.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Here in Saddleworth the pro footballers all drive them big fancy cars, but it's no measure for the whole country. Getting the bus into Manchester and it goes through some pretty terrible areas.

That's the beauty of the UK. The accent, wealth, styles and tastes all change by street.

17. soemochris macrumors member

we dont have George Bush

haha

18. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Military power? Neither country has been successful in that field recently...

19. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

Wow, took you guys long enough... :p

I don't know that saying you're better than Americans is that much of a victory. I'm from America (Ohio) but my China made toothpick is better than America.

Our only saving grace at the moment is that in 11 months time, we may be back on the road to recovery...

I really don't hold America in that high regard anymore. I lost my Patriotism after this whole "Iraq/Afghanistan/Iran/Still Can't find Bin Laden/Patriot Act that takes away rights/Almost a Police State/America is the Police of the world" thing

~Crawn

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

But the UK has Prince Charles, And some soccer type sport. Score one for America.:p

21. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yeh but we have Jeremy Clarkson, and as much as Steve Jobs owns most other people, Jeremy Clarkson is much betterer. :D

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Who is that, Kelly's brother?

23. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

LOL. Forgot about Kelly Clarkson. That's another minus one for you :p

24. soemochris macrumors member