Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In line with previous reports, Broadcom has confirmed that a ramp-up of its chip shipments, for what analysts believe is the iPhone 12, will run into the final quarter of 2020 (via Reuters). This is a quarter later than most years, which suggests that Apple's upcoming iPhone 12 lineup will be delayed.

r.jpeg

In June, Broadcom CEO Hock Tan discussed a "major product cycle delay" at a "large North American mobile phone" company. There was no mention of Apple by name, but according to Bloomberg, this is phrasing that Tan often uses to describe Apple.

Earlier this year, Apple CFO Luca Maestri confirmed that this year's new iPhones will be released later than normal. The statement remained vague about the exact release date, simply saying that the devices will be "available a few weeks later" than usual.

In 2019, Broadcom earned one-fifth of its revenue from supplying Apple. The confirmation of significant late-2020 shipments from the company indicates that the iPhone 12 is highly unlikely to arrive this month. Multiple reports are now pointing towards October for the launch of the iPhone 12 lineup, as well as Apple Watch Series 6 models, and the long-rumored AirTags.

Article Link: Broadcom Confirms Chip Delay Suggesting October iPhone 12 Launch

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
This is just making me very curious about when Apple’s announcements are going to occur.

I can’t see them doing an all-in-one of 4 models of iPhone, Apple Watch, the first Apple Silicon Mac, new iPads, possibly AirTags event. But if iPhones are delayed by a month, then when will the Apple Silicon Mac and iPads be announced?

The iPhone/Watch announcement seems like it would have to be this month even if product release is delayed, right?

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
This is just making me very curious about when Apple’s announcements are going to occur.

I can’t see them doing an all-in-one of 4 models of iPhone, Apple Watch, the first Apple Silicon Mac, new iPads, possibly AirTags event. But if iPhones are delayed by a month, then when will the Apple Silicon Mac and iPads be announced?

The iPhone/Watch announcement seems like it would have to be this month even if product release is delayed, right?

September would be ideal for an iPad Air and Apple Watch press release given they are relatively minor upgrades.

iPhones and Apple Silicon Macs can follow in a bigger October 'event'.

Tags? Who knows. It's like vapourware.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
It's only a month "delay." I don't think it's a big deal for many people. It's still within the holiday shopping season, and with Covid, they don't really need to push much inventories to stores.

eyetic

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2020
live for the hype :D It's like an addiction for all of us....thats it even if you buy, need or won't do anything when its finally release we all want to see "whats next"...

Marketing ando overall global economy did their job well..in all these years.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Same. Just want the announcement to finally solidify everything, and stop relying on back and forth rumors.

Yeah I am at the point where I am tireddd of the rumors Lol even though I keep reading. I want the official deets!
[automerge]1599231400[/automerge]
I can’t wait to put my hands on my 12 Pro Max Midnight Blue 256 GB.

Man idk... If it starts at 128GB I think I’ll just get that. I have 256GB currently, but an entry level 128GB would save me some money and be plenty I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
And you can bet that any doubt inside Apple as to whether they should pull the trigger on their plan to do their own 5G and WiFi chipsets has now disappeared. In 2022 we will have Apple Networking Silicon.

Last edited:
Reactions: ksec

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
if based on rumors alone- the 12 seems like a train wreck already. So many issues

Disagree. Delays happen and in our current environment should be expected. I would agree that the original product schedule seems like a train wreck, but the product itself? Doubtful. I would reserve judgment until it is actually released.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Fingers crossed they’re using this time to iron out the issues with 120Hz ??
Are you kidding? The design will have been finalized months ago.

They’re going to be making tens of millions of these. It’s not like they say, “okay, we’ve just made the last hardware change... send the schematic to the factory and tell them to start manufacturing now!”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.