Broke something on the logicboard. HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gusanitoverde, Aug 29, 2011.

1. gusanitoverde macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

My wife has a Macbook, I believe it is an old white MB 2.0 Core2Duo.

So, I opened it to clean the heat sink and when I pulled the heat sensor cable to detach it from the mother board and when it detached, I broke the socket that attaches the cable to the motherboard. The socket broke in 3 pieces. Now this is a "next to impossible" job to put together.

I wonder if I should just forget about putting the socket together and I should try soldering the 4 wires directly to the logic board.

Any suggestions?

2. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

The socket is next to the white sticker.

It came off the motherboard. So little...

Attached Files:

3. session101 macrumors regular

let me ask this... is it a piece of the logicboard that is broken, or is it a wire/attachment that goes to the logicboard that is broken?

4. gusanitoverde, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

The heatsink has a black cable coming off it. This black cable ends in a plastic connector which snaps in a plastic socket which is part of the MOBO.

This plastic socket gave in. It cleanly detached from the MOBO and broke in 3 pieces.

Now the connector has no home.

5. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

:'{

6. session101 macrumors regular

ok 2 things...you can take it to a mac service place, but keep it 3rd party because APPLE will charge $$$, see if they have a piece that can be re-soldered on there, if not, you might be man enough to buy a broken or water damaged logic board for cheap and then de-solder and re-solder that piece.. i may have to do the same with my topcase connector if my new one doesn't work

7. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I made the same mistake when cleaning my MacBook about a year ago.

If you're good with soldering and have a fine point iron, clean up both the connector and the point on the logic board where it connects, make sure you can easily identify the leads on the connector and its corresponding position on the logic board, and quickly solder it back on. I ended up *slightly* melting part of the black connector, but all the points made their contact and it works and holds better than it did originally.

But only try that if you're really good with a soldering iron. I spent years fixing game consoles, so this was painless for me.

Anyway, it can be fixed with about $10 in tools, flux, and solder, but actually doing it is going to be difficult. If you're not good with a soldering iron, find someone who is. Do you have clear close ups of the connector and its position on the board? I would like to see how clean it came off the board and to see of pads were lifted off the logic board. If your already posted them, the. I apologize for asking - the mobile site doesn't always show images.