"Broken Glass Everywhere..."

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spaceboots06, Aug 8, 2011.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Grand Master Flash
    anyway, i dropped my iphone 4 on pavement two thursdays ago and it shattered the top of the front glass. this was about the 7th or 8th 'bad' drop. the ones before this one a little break would be made on the back glass and the most recent drop before this a small crack was made on the right side of my screen which wasn't too visible. but in this most recent scenario the top fifth was shattered, so i was able to see almost everything on my screen and the only messed up part was the front facing camera because cracks blocked the lens. no big deal and i didn't really care.

today i noticed that a piece of the shattered glass a little below and a little to the right of the earpiece fell out and i was able to see a tiny bit of penny-colored technology hidden underneath the shattered glass. i later unlocked my phone and noticed the entire right half of the phone was white and i was unable to see what was happening behind the white blankness. the entire right half of my phone was affected, but it was still able to accept input. this is a big deal.

another big deal was when, a little while ago actually, the white half of my screen decided to no longer accept input. i'm now upset and frustrated. I was examining this website (http://www.iresq.com//iphone-repair/iphone-4.html) and do not know exactly what i need to purchase. is this a digitizer problem? the glass is definitely broken, so that needs to be fixed, but is there something wrong with anything besides this? maybe some wiring has become loose and there are no LCD / digitizer (i don't even know what the **** that really is...) problems? is this the cheapest or most reliable website that people know about for fixing these problems? i've had a bunch of iphones in the past and it seems like they always have shattered glass after a while and i usually ignore fixing it but this is the worst case i've ever had...

any help is appreciated.

OR should i wait for the iphone 5 this (maybe?) fall !!!?!??!?!??!?!??!

thanks!

2. davelanger macrumors 6502a

the apple store will replace it for you (the glass for a cost), just hope the lcd screen under the glass is not broken and it wont be too much

3. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

If I remember correctly, the glass and LCD is one package. If you break the glass, the LCD will be replaced as well.

5. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Meh, I don't like cases on my iPhone anymore. The iPhone 4 looks too good to be covered! If resale value is a concern then obviously a case is necessary. ;)

As for the OP, I would see how much it costs to get it fixed at an Apple store. If it's too much pickup a cheap phone off eBay or something and make do until iPhone 5.

6. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

They make Otterbox Defender's exactly for people like OP...

7 or 8 "bad" drops? Makes you think he was carrying a Nokia flip phone and not a $600 glass smartphone.

7. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

the iphone 4 is incredibly sexy and cases should be avoided at all cost, but the OP said hes dropped his phone like 8 times so even an incipio feather would help a little in this particular situation lol

8. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

my phone doesn't like wearing a case just as i don't like wearing a condom.

edit: but really, i don't like the way it feels in my pocket or when it is slipped or taken out of my pocket with anything except itself. but i think i will be calling this company tomorrow because i like the idea of them fixing my phone within 24 hours and shipping it out and etc... <150 doesn't sound too bad either compared to the other websites I've seen replacements being offered on. no way in hell i'm using a cheap phone besides the iphone so that's out of the question.

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Don't even think about letting some website repair your iPhone. It's a big gamble. The Apple store will replace the phone for $200. Really the best choice.

Also Apple will not repair the front glass on the iPhone 4. They just replace the phone. They will replace the rear glass for a small charge if that's the only problem.

10. kdog005 macrumors member

And it costs too much to be broken. If you enjoy how it looks, you'd protect it from life.

Terrible analogy to try to justify not protecting your $750 phone. Just because you insist on getting girls pregnant doesn't mean your phone should have to pay because you dropped trying to get a booty call. You didn't cover your phone, now it broke, Imagine how your johnson is gonna feel when it follows suit.

11. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

No because it was just under it's 10th time from being dropped on a very hard surface from a considerably high height. that's almost equal to the amount of times it takes someone to come down with an std when having unprotected sex with a known dangerous lady (or male? it's 2011 and I live in NY) friend. and also i never mentioned all the times i've dropped it on carpet or softer surfaces or even times where my phone was making it's 9.8 m/s descent to the ground but i so skillfully kicked it with my foot to change its trajectory. so it's not a terrible analogy, in fact maybe a very appropriate one. you didn't take into consideration the times of me not wearing a condom vs. the times i dropped my phone in what i would label a 'non-danger zone' i.e. carpet, grass, anything below me that will act as a pillow for my +0.5 grand technology baby.

12. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Replace it yourself and learn a little more about the penny colored piece of tech under the pretty glass!

13. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

The iPhone 4 has a flawed design, the glass is just horrible. So I don't blame you OP. Sorry to hear about your issue.

Just get a prepaid phone and hang on until the iPhone 5. You won't be disappointed.

I have bolded the actual issue that needs to be fixed.

14. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

^ that is an absurd way to think.

If you drop your phone a lot, an iPhone, or many other smartphones for that matter, may not be for you.

If you are too stubborn to purchase/use a case when you acknowledge you have had so many bad drops there is no way that anyone can feel bad for you.

If you drop your phone a lot, I'd suggest not having a smart phone. Often times the general public does not realize that smartphones are not for everyone regardless of what the marketing gurus at technology companies tell you.

They are $400-$800 handheld computers that people take for granted, clearly you seem to be one of those people.

Get a case, get some insurance through square trade or something for future incidents, go to see apple and see if they can help you.

If you don't want to protect your investment, don't cry when you drop it on the pavement 9 times and it breaks.

You're unbelievable.

I'm not trying to be an ******, i'm trying to have you understand why you are in the situation you're in. You could also just be more careful...I have never dropped or otherwise accidentally damaged any high end technology product.

15. Reach9, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Lol, hey hey, don't be so quick to judge.

I don't use a case but I take utmost care of my devices, and my iPhone 3G doesn't have a single scratch on it in the front, and looks better than majority of the people who used an iPhone for as long as i have with the iPhone 3G, which has been since launch day of '08.
    I admit i accidentally dropped it a few times, probably between 10 to 15 times throughout these few years. But nothing that left a major mark on it. I haven't cried once about my iPhone 3G's condition, in fact people praise me for keeping my iPhone in such a good condition.

I don't take technology for granted, i was simply pointing out that if a phone's is made out of basic glass the same glass which breaks in your house, then it's a flawed design for the average consumer. Not counting cases, just the design itself. Glass is glass, regardless of how careful you are, accidents happen. Glassware at home is a perfect example.

Thankfully there are cases, and people who need them should use them for sure.

16. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Ummmm, 7th or 8th "bad" drop, plus lots of "good" drops? In all the years I've had a mobile phone, you can count the number of total drops on one hand, with some fingers missing. It just sounds to me like you are clumsy, and if you can't be bothered to protect your phone from your own negligence, what do you want people here to do about it?

People arguing that using glass is a flawed design seem to be misreading the situation. YOU bought the phone, nobody forced you. You KNEW it has glass on the front and rear, so the only flaw here is your own decision to buy the phone in the first place. Fact is, you bought it because it's by Apple and it looks good. So, you have absolutely ZERO right to complain about the materials used in its construction.

Buy an iPhone, don't buy an iPhone, buy a case, don't buy a case...make your own decisions and stand by your own actions and negligence rather than trying to pass the effort and blame onto others.

17. SandynJosh macrumors 68000

The iPhone as well as some of the Android phones use a special glass from Corning that is the strongest glass on Earth, so your comment about a flawed design is wrong. That said, nothing in unbreakable, all you can do is find safe ways of handling or protecting it physically.

18. warburg macrumors 6502a

Absurd!

This is the most ridiculous thread I have ever read on a Mac forum. Someone drops his iphone on hard surfaces eight times, and complains that it is fragile. If that wasn't silly enough, a number of posters respond warning him that this is not really a good thing to do, and that the phone would be less vulnerable if it were protected by a case. Since we are being profound, I have an even better idea—stop dropping it :D:D:D

19. wilsonlaidlaw macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

If you're that clumsy an iPhone is not for you

My son went through a phase of breaking mobiles about every 3 months. Dropping them, falling off while mountain biking, getting thrown in a river with his phone in his pocket etc. We got him a tough phone and it lasted about 2 years. Something like the one below, made by his current employer, JCB. I would suggest the same for the OP. I have had my UK and French iPhones now for over two years, never dropped them onto a hard surface and I have extremely arthritic hands, so at least I have an excuse. Perhaps the answer is to take more water with the Scotch.

Attached Files:

20. davelanger macrumors 6502a

I agree, I know a few people that have shattered their iphone 4, the glass is not strong at all, then again the phone is all glass which is a flaw in itself, I am not sure why Axl made the back of the phone glass. That is just a stupid design IMO

21. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

I gave up on cases for my 3GS because they made it just too bulky. The square shape of the iPhone 4 looks even worse in a case. I've developed the "death grip" way of holding this very expensive little device and have never dropped it.

22. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

JCB makes phones? Cool beans, my ex needs one! As does his former boss....

My last two phones were pretty drop proof, hence I got lazy with the death grip. I bought a pretty rugged case for my iPhone when i got it, but that week without it stressed me out.

As for going without a condom.... Yuck. It's a shame that it isn't only YOU are impacting with that decision. It wouldn't be a gamble I personally would be up to taking.... But hey, I'm old

23. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Considered trying a Samsung Galaxy S?

I am serious.

The phone has a lot more plastic in it than the iphone, making it a LOT lighter.

That and the gorilla glass means that the phone will be able to handle more drops without breaking.

24. trouble747 macrumors 6502

It doesn't sound like yours does! ;)

25. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502a

Drops happen, but that's a bit much. I've had 3 iPhones now (3G, 3GS, 4). The 3G I dropped once while walking. I (intentionally) broke its fall with my foot before it hit the pavement. All it got was a microscopic scrape on one of the back corners. I never dropped the 3GS. And although I have never dropped my iPhone 4, it did slide off the edge of (what I thought was) a flat corian sink-top onto a hard tile bathroom floor. It made a sickeningly loud sound when it hit, but miraculously, nothing was damaged. From other stories I've heard about the fragility of the glass, I think I got very lucky.