Broken Home Button - retailer refusing warranty due to small dent near headphone jack

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by icebergx, Jan 22, 2014.

1. icebergx macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I just got back from the retailer (in Denmark) who sold me my iPhone 5.
    My home button stopped working and it's within the 1 year warranty period, so I assumed they'd take care of it... WRONG! :(

There is a small dent on the corner (please see pic below,) near the headphone jack, where I dropped the phone. The guy at the retailer (not an official Apple store, but still a large cell phone carrier) told me that this wouldn't be covered because the home button is near the area of the dent and therefore it's invalid.

1) Is this reasonable?
    2) Is there anything I can do about it?
    3) There are no official Apple Stores here in Denmark, but there are in Sweden (not very far from where I live.) Would taking it there make any difference?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

• Dent.jpg
      Dent.jpg
      File size:
      149.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

I would take it to an Apple store and see what they say. To me the two are not related….but then I am not the phone maker.
    Hope you get it resolved! :)

3. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for you feedback. I honestly don't believe that's the reason for the home button either, but not it's difficult to force your will on the retailer's repair centre.
    Normally, would Apple simply replace the product?

4. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Apple has great customer service. They have replaced a broken home button for my son on his iPhone 5. It had a few scratches in it so he got a better phone as a replacement. Can't hurt to go see what they say. But be polite and friendly and explain it to them. Most store mangers have a lot if wiggle room so to speak and can approve replacements. Hope it gets done for you. Let's us know!

5. cynics macrumors G3

I have a friend that an official Apple store wouldn't repair her power button due to a scuff near it even though the button worked for a long time after the drop.

She's kind of passive though. Certain situations you just need to talk to a higher up at the store. If that fails then you'll need to start bitching unfortunately.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

7. terra33 macrumors newbie

Apple store refused my replacement for the same type of issue. The camera had dust under it, they said the small ding on the bottom caused it! At&t actually did a swap for me no issues.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

With the 5/5s, it's easy to argue that it wasn't caused by a drop as aluminum is soft and you'll eventually get them to replace it (Apple store, not 3rd party retailers).

Apple is funny though. They'd replace hairline crack in the screen at the corner even if it's actually caused from a drop.

9. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

To be honest, I don't know how the dent got there. I assume it was a drop, in all likelihood, but what else could cause it?
    I'll try again tomorrow, visiting the apple store in Sweden.

10. sim667 macrumors 65816

One thing that might help you out is the EU wide warranty law

Im in the UK so linking to the UK site, but I used this to get my iphone repaired when my charging port stopped working on my iphone 5.

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

If you look at the first column, you can see that the EU wide law will provide you with minimum two years warranty cover on your product (although in the UK its six).

My phone was 2 months out of warranty, and at first the phone supplier said I just had to buy a new phone and there was nothing they could do..... After reading about this and speaking to apple, I found they'll only do it if you go through your supplier, so I had to pay apple to do a repair and then send my network proof of payment, and then they credited the £212 to my account, so essentially I won't pay a phone bill for 6 months.

Now if you're sneaky, you could get a quote from apple, ring up you network and tell them you want to make an EU warranty claim, get them to agree to it (they will probably try and fob you off with a 50% payment offer, they are legally required to cover the full cost), once its agreed go ahead and get the repair done, and then send the network a copy of the bill so they credit your account..... At no point did the supplier ask to look at my phone, or even check with apple there was any damage to the phone.... But you will need to make sure you've got the money to pay for the repair up front and you definately need to get the network/supplier to agree first otherwise you could be shooting yourself in the foot.

Good luck! Hope that helps :)

----------

This link may help too

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/ecc/consumer_topics/buying_goods_services_en.htm

11. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

thats ridiculous ... seems like they just don't want to replace it. Definitely take it to apple.

12. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I hate the idea that a random drop that causes cosmetic damage can effectively void your remaining warranty even if the phone still works perfectly after the drop.

This sort of thing should be covered by consumer protection laws. One idea would be to allow "warranty revalidation"; after the cosmetic damage, you can take the phone in, demonstrate that it's still working, and they'll note the damage in the device's serial number file so you can claim future warranty service.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not really a problem because 9 out of 10 times they'll refuse you if it's something obviously indicative of a drop like a shattered glass. You can easily talk your way to fixing it if it's something minor like a dent, especially considering how soft aluminum is and not necessarily caused by a drop.

14. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

What a nonsense of an excuse. Is the home button damaged from the fall? No! Replace the thing.

Contact Apple, let them know about the retailer, and next time just buy from Apple directly.

15. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

Quick update guys. I went to the Apple store in Sweden.

Basically, they said that the bump on the corned actually makes the removal and repositioning of the screen very difficult. They said that the bump had actually pushed the screen up, and that if they opened up the phone, there was a good chance that the glass would come away from the digitiser, meaning that the screen would have to be replaced too. I reminded them that on some occasions, when a screen has a single crack, it still falls within the warranty, but they said that "could be due to excessive tension during manufacture." :confused:

Before we really started talking, I also told one of the geniuses about my poor battery life, and after running a little diagnostic, he confirmed that was faulty too.

Essentially, 2 separate geniuses confirmed that the warranty was voided, and the manager of the store said the same thing. This whole discussion lasted about an hour and a half, and I was pretty nice and courteous all the way through and just told them I felt "let down" as the iPhone, with it's faulty home button and bad battery was clearly not fit for when it was sold.

They all offered to replace the iPhone for SEK2229 (about $350) but I turned that down, flat.
    Finally, the manager made me a good offer. He offered to replace my 32gb iPhone 5 for the same model, if I purchased a year's applecare for SEK650 (about $100.) This was the best I was going to get and I was happy with the deal, so I accepted. I figured the extra piece of mind with the Applecare made the deal worthwhile.

All round, a good (but long) experience.

16. trainwrecka macrumors 6502

Recalibrate your HOME button first

There is a good possibility that you just need to recalibrate the home button.

1. Open an app that came with the iPhone, such as Calculator or Weather.
    2. Hold down the power button on top of the iPhone until "slide to power off" appears.
    3. Let go of the power button and press and hold the home button.
    4. The power off message will disappear and the app will close.
    5. Your iPhone home button is now recalibrated.

This happened to mine for no reason a few weeks ago. Wouldn't respond to presses until 5-10 seconds of holding, or not at all.

Did the above and all is well!

17. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

This wasn't the case with mine. There actually was a physical defect with the button. It didn't have anywhere near the satisfying click of my new phone. It moved very little at all (didn't have any "spring.")

18. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

That sounds a bit.... shady. Very shady actually. Why do you need to buy AppleCare to cover a manufacturing defect if your still under the manufacture's warranty?

I have a feeling when they get these things back at the factory, the aluminum, glass and any other recyclable materials are melted down and formed into a new case.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This is Sweden Apple store we're dealing with here. My guess is they're not following the U.S. guidelines as to what are covered and not covered under warranty so they're saying the accidental damage has voided the manufacturer's warranty and forced the OP to buy AC to cover accidental damage.

20. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Yeah thats true. OP, I would recommend reading the AppleCare Terms for your country/where ever the Apple Store is.

21. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The iPhone was under manufacturer's warranty, but it was damaged by the owner. And the Apple employee explained to him that while one defect was covered by warranty (the home button), the other damage caused by the user made it likely that further damage would happen if the iPhone was opened. So there was a good chance that if Apple repaired the home button for free, another expensive repair would be necessary, which was the customer's fault.

Apple has a standard offer for all out-of-warranty repairs, which is getting a refurbished device for a fixed price, around half the new price. The store employee then went far beyond what he had to do to keep the customer happy. Nothing shady about it whatsoever.

----------

Well, not quite. There was accidental damage, and another damage that was quite possibly unrelated and would have been covered by warranty. The accidental damage as it was didn't need repairing. However, if the phone was opened, the accidental damage was likely to cause further damage that would need repairing and wouldn't be covered.

----------

That would be the standard "out of warranty" repair. As long as your iPhone is in one piece, you'll get a new one for that amount.
    So you got: Warranty fault fixed, accidental damage fixed, refurbished phone instead of almost a year old phone, plus Apple Care, for $100. Not bad.

22. JayLenochiniMac, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's inconsistent with the internal document clearly stating that housing dents are normal wear and tear and would not be considered accidental damage.

[​IMG]

However, the Sweden Apple store may not be obligated to follow the U.S. guidelines so it's moot.

23. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I could could see their point, and for the sake of the extra SEK650 cost, I took the deal. I took up a lot of their time and built a lot of rapport with the manager, and I think that helped. I doubt most scandinavians would have spent 1.5 hrs arguing (politely) that they deserve a new phone, soI was happy overall.

Yeah, I was happy with the deal overall. I think I was a bit lucky because, if they kept saying "no" there wouldn't have been much I could do about it, and trying to be objective, they had a point about the accidental damage.
    One strange thing: From reading the forums on here, most people suggest that Apple don't do repairs, they silly replace faulty handsets. In my case, before the dent was spotted, the "Genius" astrally started booking me an appointment to come in and get my home button and battery replaced. I was a bit disappointed by this, as I'd hoped for a new phone... But I admit I was being greedy ;-)
    Still, the point being, in Sweden at least, Apple appear to have started to do repairs instead of complete replacements, when under warranty.

24. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Yeah, I'm in the US and I've had both a battery replacement and screen replacement (to fix a home button issue) done in-store over the past year on two separate occasions, they are starting to do more of that kind of thing vs just giving a new device like they used to.

25. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

The ding could have realistically been the cause though, because if the screen is lifted up the two points where the cable that controls the home button may not have been making a connection. I see this all the time fixing people's iphone 5 screens where the housing is bent.