broken MBP with Applecare - how to get a new one rather then a fix ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joecool99, Apr 9, 2010.

1. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

i've non-unibody 2.4GHz model 15" that still has few months left with apple care.

It's the notorious 8600M GT video problem. Is seems the VGA died.
    Is there a good way to present this and get a new laptop rather then replaced system board ???

Do i want to just walk into apple store and ask for replacement ? How does it work ? I've never had hardware failure before. No experience how to go about this. Advice ?

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Usually it takes 3 repairs of the same issue before they deem your MBP defective and just flat out give you a new replacement.

They're just gonna fix it for you since it's the first time.

3. stumbletown macrumors newbie

Constrain the part, so that when they go to replace it they can't order it. This is what i did with my G4. I cleverly made them switch to intel from powerpc, so that when my powerbook broke they weren't able to find the part and they were forced to give me a macbook pro.

In seriousness though, it'll have to be a repeated issue.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Please don't cheat Apple's generosity in replacing our computers over several repairs; cheat the system and it ends up costing the consumer's more in the next update. ;)

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Very true. Why cheat the system...just sell your mbp and use that money to buy a new one...

6. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    It's not cheating the system. When a hardware failure occurs that is covered by the warranty, Apple has the the 3 Rs at its disposal: repair, replacement, refund. Each of those are conferred options in the warranty, the one chosen is at Apple's discretion. If he has a case for replacement and can convince Apple of it, it's working within the system. Yes, Apple has internal guidelines on which option to choose, but they are not set in stone. You take each egg as it cracks. If he has and can present a compelling case, I don't think it's cheating--it's still Apple's decision.

And if you want to get to the decision makers, call 408-996-1010 and ask for customer relations.

7. joecool99 thread starter Suspended

joecool99

do i just walk into apple store or do i need to call in advance for someone to take my laptop into repair ? or is it better to mail it in ?

8. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

if you do have a laptop that is in need of a 3rd repair of the same part/problem that the first 2 repairs were of (specifically, a logic board-) what would be the best way about getting a replacement?
    making an appointment and going into the store directly to talk to a genius, or talking to them over the phone and asking for a replacement?

9. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

Having, gone through this before. I've always dealt with applecare over the phone, because the closest apple store is 3 hours away from me. What i did was i just called, and basically said. I love this computer, but i'm just worried its not going to make it much longer, and i need it to last all 4 years of college, not 2. I added that i use it for class. etc... Normally telling apple your a student, changes the way they treat you in a good way. but thats just my experience.

10. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    If you're going the repair route, I have found mail-in easier and faster, but sometimes they mess up. The Apple Store near me at least was in no hurry to get parts when I brought in my machine. It took me calling customer relations who called the store to get the manager to get up move, five feet, and look to see that they had the parts in stock needed for my machine after nearly a week of telling me that they had to wait for the part back-ordered. However, that is just one Apple store. Mail in has always been very fast; however, like I said, sometimes they fix one thing and mess something else up. But Apple has great customer care, so if they do mess something up, it could work out to your benefit in terms of some sort of compensation or getting the computer replaced eventually.