Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I was cleaning out my 2008 2.8 MacPro yesterday and had to remove the front fan because of 3 years worth of dirt and grime. I the process of removing the video card I broke the PCIe retaining clip. After reassembling every thing the computer works fine. I called applecare because my three years is up in two weeks and they said it's accidental damage and not covered. No surprise, they also said it should not cause any problems. I don't foresee any, except in resale value. I still plan to keep the machine for another two years. I wonder what type of hit I will take when I go to sell it. At the time I will state that the clip is broken. But what will it cost me.

Thanks

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
There's loads of people with broken clips, to be honest not having them doesn't make much difference unless you unit is moved often.

Yea that's what I thought. I am just concerned what hit I take on the resale value, but I guess we will see when it comes time to sell it. But it's a good machine and I plan to keep it for a while.

Last edited:

kylepro88

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
Nashville
Did the broken clips hurt your resale value? I just broke TWO of them today trying to figure out an issue I'm having (see Graphic Snow thread that's at the top in the MacPro section). Hoping to sell this MacPro1,1 I have...don't want to just let it sit when I could probably suck $1000 out of it.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Did the broken clips hurt your resale value? I just broke TWO of them today trying to figure out an issue I'm having (see Graphic Snow thread that's at the top in the MacPro section). Hoping to sell this MacPro1,1 I have...don't want to just let it sit when I could probably suck $1000 out of it.

Well the broken clip help me decide to keep the machine a bit longer. I working fine and I think I will keep it until the wheels fall off.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I broke my Slot-1 PCIe retention clip several months ago cleaning. I wouldn't feel too bad about it, because it's pretty easy to do, especially if you're removing a larger graphics card (due to the tight reach).

As long as the metal slot bracket is secured properly, the card shouldn't move around.

nambuccaheadsau

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2007
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Have had broken clips going back to the Dual Core G5. Cursed things seem to get very brittle with age and heat and removing card ping!

Never had a problem with it however. Seat card securely and screw down the spring loaded retaining clip and she will be .... well apples!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.