Broken (physically) MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wicked23, Jul 9, 2012.

1. wicked23 macrumors member

My brother-in-law got upset about his 1yr old 13" MBP's continued hard drive issues and decided to rip the computer in half (pic attached). I now have it and I am trying to assess the damage and see what to do now. The computer charges and seems to boot up fine but the case needs to be replace and 3 of the 4 wires connecting the screen on the right are detached and the wire on the left looks ok and just needs to be plugged back in. The screen does not appear to be cracked. My goal is to fix it and to keep it and not give it back to the Mac abuser. I don't want to take it to the Apple store like this because I believe it may still have Apple Care warranty left on it. Any ideas on what I should do or were I should take it? I am fairly handy with a Mac but not sure if I could replace the case myself. Thoughts?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ifixit will have all the guides and parts to help

3. mexico macrumors member

holy hell. My guess is your brother in law is at least a little bit of a childish ass. Can I see the picture?

4. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

5. wicked23 thread starter macrumors member

Yes he is!
    [​IMG]
    Broken Mac by Wicker80, on Flickr

6. mexico macrumors member

ok so... I'm guessing the screen does not light up at all right?

if not, plug the thing into an external monitor just to be sure that everything is working fine other than the screen. If that checks out then we gotta figure out whats up with those wires:

First things first: Are those wires a part of the display assembly and plugged into the body OR are they part of the body and plugged into the display assembly. It's hard for me to tell with the picture.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Fixing that computer would be price heavy (in the range of a the low level Mac Air) and not to mention any warranty on it is long gone.

I would suggest looking for a new Mac.

8. mexico macrumors member

update! I just checked here: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Late-2011-Display/7653/1

All the wires connecting the display to the body of the mac are from the display. I do not know how to disassemble the actual display but if it cannot be repaired then you will have to buy the the whole display as a unit for about $500. It may end up being cheaper to take it to a repair facility as they will be able to replace the wires without needing to purchase a whole display.

It's pricy but I mean if you got the computer for free, you could have a 13" pro for a measly $500 + probably a new HD

9. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

The entire display assembly goes for under $250, in new, unopened condition on 13.3" Unibodies. iFixit may have display assemblies for $500+. It is not a good idea to use iFixit to judge the market value of any part. Their prices have no basis in reality, or supply & demand.

I strongly disagree.

I would be happy to point you to the most cost effective, cheap, easy, DIY way to fix this yourself. In exchange, you must provide much better pictures than that one.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Find a low price for that entire upper part of the Mac.

11. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

save the money that it will take to fix the laptop, and use it to send your brother in law to some anger management sessions.

12. Sahee macrumors regular

Sahee

Buy your brother a Zenbook, the presence of Zen will prevail his anger :D.

13. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I hope he isn't married to your sister! If he will do this to an expensive laptop, I wonder what else he'll do? What a freaking jackwagon!!!!!!

14. unibility macrumors 6502

15. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

17. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

That looks like an easy fix for even semi skilled individuals with soldering.

I would fix the hell out of that, upgrade the drive, and use it with great success in front of him any chance you get.

He's a lost cause, but maybe others can learn from his poor behavior. A little salt keeps the wound fresh longer. ;)

18. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

#00 screwdriver and T6 for hinges cost under $5.