iPhone X Broken rear glass

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alex_ivaylov, Nov 8, 2018.

1. alex_ivaylov macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I dropped my white iPhone X onto a stone and the back glass cracked along with the camera glass.

Can you give me advice on how to fix it?

Do I need to buy the whole battery housing part or can I just replace the 2 glasses?

I found some spare parts, but they are not genuine. Where can I find genuine Apple parts?

Thank you!

2. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 68000

StaceyMJ86

From my understanding only Apple have the genuine parts. I may be wrong but in case like this, I think you should only let Apple or an Apple authorized center replace the rear housing.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple, they don't really sell those parts and even if you search the net for apple parts, they may very well be counterfeit.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I’ve read that the rear glass is actually more expensive to fix than the front!!! :( Not good news.

Take it to Apple.

5. alex_ivaylov thread starter macrumors newbie

At the moment I live in a place where there is no Apple store.

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

As far as I’m aware you don’t necessarily have to take it into an Apple store. You should be able to call customer service and either arrange for it to be picked up or send it in yourself by post.

7. Otflyer macrumors 6502a

Otflyer

From what I’ve read, the phone can’t be repaired it must be replaced. If you don’t have AppleCare, it will cost about $549.

8. iamjeffchen macrumors newbie

MR.C is correct. If you connect with apple care they can arrange for a box to be sent to you so you can send the nearest store your device for repair. You will just be without a phone for a bit. Also if the camera is cracked it will be a full unit replacement at out of warranty cost unless you have apple care+

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It actually is because the back glass is the support for the entire phone. Crack that and you have to move everything onto a new back glass. Nonetheless, should be covered under Apple's AppleCare accidental coverage.

10. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

There is no way to repair it. Apple will do an express replacement so you will not be without a phone. They put a hold on your credit card and send you a new one. When you send them your broken one they release the hold on the card and charge you a tidy $549. You will not have to be without a phone.

11. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

If you want the phone to retain any type of water resistance have Apple replace the phone whether you have to pay out of warranty repair cost or AppleCare+ deductible. If you cant afford it, covering the back with a skin or using a case will hold you over until you figure out what you want to do..

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Correct. Apple doesn’t sell/distribute OEM parts to any third party manufacturers, therefore, any third-party repair stores would be using parts that might be similar to Apples, but it’s certainly not Apples iPhone replacement parts.

And in the situation like the glass on the back of an iPhone, even though it might be expensive without AppleCare for someone, I would only allow Apple to make this repair, especially with such an expensive phone.