Brown Box iPad 2 New batch with no Bleeds?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marine0816, Apr 27, 2011.

1. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Just couldn't take the yellow bleed from my iPad 2 so I took it to the Apple Store with a little resistance from these so called geniuses. They ordered me a replacement unit on Monday and picked it up on Tuesday. It came in a brown box with my name on it. The genius dude couldn't tell me if it was refurbished or new. So I swapped it out and did some light test in my house. It looks so much better without that yellow crap leaking from the corners. If there is any bleed in the new unit it's the standard White bleed that is normal in all LCD screen which is not very noticeable. YELLOW IS NOT NORMAL don't let these people lie to you!!!. If you have yellow, replace it......I want to know if all the brown replacement boxes are the safe ones. Cause mine is...

2. ani23 macrumors 6502

Mine bleeds. But I never notice in 99% of use. Get over it

3. marine0816 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Thats the definition of an isheep comment.

4. madat42 macrumors regular

The yellow blotch is a different issue from the light bleed. You were right to get it exchanged. I noticed the yellow 100% of the time I used my first iPad 2 because it's color distortion is apparent whenever there's a light background. Some folks said it'd eventually go away but I didn't see mine diminish over the 2 weeks I had it. The replacement has no noticeable yellowing, but it does have acceptable light bleed in the corner. I don't notice the bleed unless it's a black screen. People need to learn when to use the "get over it" remark appropriately. :rolleyes:

5. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

been using mine for a week and in real world use, I see no bleeding. It's only when I turn it up to 100% brightness, and even then it's very hard to see.

For my iPad, I'm chalking this up to a non-issue.

6. betterhalf macrumors newbie

Same here, got my replacement via a brown box and it has no light bleed.

7. marine0816 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marine0816

So do people think the brown box is new or refurbished?

8. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

More than likely just iPad's sent to Apple stores for replacements from the factory just without retail packaging because what is the point in Apple opening new retail boxes when the customer already has all the cables etc.

Saves them money as well if they are just sending the iPad only to retail stores for replacements.

9. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

I think most would be quite happy if that was the norm.

10. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Brown box is a unit designated for replacement. Since it's not in retail packaging it can't be sold. It could potentially be either new or refurb, Personally I'd rather have a refurb as you know each unit has been tested for issues by a genuine human being rather than being the 1 of x that's spot checked in the QA process off the assembly line.

11. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Probably--after reading threads here, I feel lucky that I got very negligable light bleed, no dead pixels, no separated glass, no home button problems.

Then again, forums like this usually don't represent the whole picture. But I did have a lot of iPhone 4 problems when I first got it, including dead pixels, wi-fi problems, etc., so I feel everyones pain.

12. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

Normally I would agree but something is amiss when someone can go 4 deep before they get an acceptable unit. It shouldn't be this difficult to fork over $500 plus. :)

13. Inverted81, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

Inverted81 macrumors newbie

Edited: can't be arsed trying to be helpful anymore

14. PBz macrumors 6502a

PBz

This.

15. dx4100 macrumors newbie

Looking at that there seems to be a VERY SMALL amount of bleed along the bottom of the screen. If this is the small amount people are now accepting then I now have some encouragement that the one arriving for me in a couple of weeks will hopefully be ok...

16. russr macrumors member

According to the Geniuses at the Apple Store, the brown box units are not refurbished yet. They are just non-retail packaging, but are brand new.

I got a replacement unit on Tuesday night and it has very slight light bleed at 100% brightness. Definitely within tolerance. Unfortunately, it has a dead pixel in the upper left corner. Also I feel like the right side of the screen is not as bright as the left side when viewing lighter backgrounds. Not happy about it.

17. GeekPill, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

GeekPill macrumors member

The Geniuses that looked at my one day old (now two day old) iPad 2 came back with a brown box and had to ring the store manager on duty yesterday and she said that I should still get a retail box brand new and sealed so, some Geniuses think that brown box is refub/reman.

My backlight bleed was the same as yours however the home button was 0.1 to 0.3mm raised, (Didnt make the nm mistake this time trolls [you know who you are] lol) So it was getting alot of dirt with very little presses and with clean hands so it has to be replaced. Also it had a stuck pixel (of which is stuck on white) so cant really be seen on light backgrounds and need black backgrounds and you need to force to see it. And ofc the one nice on the edge of the sim slot.

Yes abit OTT but hey at £660 I want a near to prefect device. Foxconn really needs to teach their employees how to do their job rather then them taking photos and leaking them onto the Internet and ofc the other point of some employees doing something else. That I dont want to say as some could think that am taking the p***.

18. marine0816 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marine0816

I would really like to get some serious inside intel on these Black boxes .

19. goMac macrumors 603

Pretty sure you already did. They're new units in brown boxes.

20. lanes1lva macrumors member

I have a blue spot on my screen about the size of my fingertip. It occurs only on white screens. Any idea what this is?

21. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

If you truly indeed want a 'bleed free' iPad, in your mind anyway, then DON'T post a picture of it on these forums. Thought this would be common sense by now. You've got a small bit of bleed on the lower right area as well as the upper left. Very slight and as I've said before, inherent to these displays and yours is certainly a non-issue. Enjoy your iPad!

22. Inverted81 macrumors newbie

I value your comment highly. Er hmm. Compared to my original ipad2 this "is" bleed free. The picture was posted to show the quality of current brown box replacements. I chose to post as no one else substantiated their claims. Not once did I say this replacement has issues, in fact I think I eluded to the opposite. I'm more than happy now. I don't usually bite at such cantankerous replies, but what an arse...
    It's pathetic.

23. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I just swapped out my ipad 2 for a brown box. I was told that if i had the same problems with this one that I could not exchange it. My main problem was the area around the button was raised and was cushy and light bleed. My exchange unit has 3 dead pixels and a lot of light bleed.

24. uujamchen macrumors member

Not sure exactly what it is, but had the same issue. Took it to my local Apple store, they took a quick look and replaced it with a brown box unit.

25. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I saw it too lol