Browser Wars

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacBH928, Mar 3, 2010.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Hello,

There was a long discussion about the new Opera 10.5 and how Opera is a good browser, which lead me to this website:
    http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/

it measures the speed of your browser.
    I use all of Safari(main), Firefox, Camino, and sometime Chrome for no reason.

I was surprised by the results it was as follows:
    Chrome: 2972
    Safari: 2871
    FireFox: 2053
    and Camino : 818!!!

Now we all know Camino is based on Firefox, so how come it scored so low? and how come its behind with 2000 points! Specially when I find it quite quick. It scored lowest on DOM operations which i have no idea what it is.
    Is this peacekeeper unfair in measuring browser speeds?

Or is a 1000 point is equal to 0.1 seconds where it just doesn't really matter?

2. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

The Browser War = pointless dick waggling

just use whatever works best for you and move on. But if IE6 works best for you then you should use something different lol

3. kasakka macrumors 68000

Camino most likely uses an older version of the Gecko rendering engine. It has always been behind Firefox in the technology department.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Actually it uses the most recent version.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

At this point, there's really very little in terms of "browser" wars.

Safari is the main and major browser, Firefox is second and the various other browsers like camino, and opera vie for the left over scraps.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

At work it said IE8 (415) was faster than Firefox (268).

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

We don't all know it and it is not true. Camino and Firefox are both Gecko-based browsers and are both supported by the Mozilla Foundation. However, Firefox is an cross-platform XUL-based application that requires a runtime interpreter for execution. Camino is a binary [standalone] Mac application.

8. kasakka macrumors 68000

It seems to use 1.9 whereas FF 3.6 uses 1.9.2. Don't know what the changes to that are though. Considering FF 4.0 will have 1.9.4 I suppose the changes are significant enough despite the small version number bump.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have several browsers living harmoniously on my Mac
    No conflict or browser war here :)

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Beta actually. And it's 10.50, not 10.5. The previous version was 10.10, so 10.5 would be a downgrade. The beta made some good improvements that were very notcieable to me from the alpha version.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Safari and Firefox keep yelling at each other on mine.

Firefox: "I'm easier to use than you."

Safari: "I just work. I'm snappy."

Firefox: "You suck."

Safari: "So does your mama."

12. witness macrumors 6502

IMO a browser should be:

1. Standards Compliment - Does it pass the ACID test
    2. Unobtrusive - I want to view content not the browser
    3. Light weight - lets start browsing already

There are probably only really 3 good choices for Mac:

• Safari - though if one tab crashes the whole browser tends to die
    • Firefox - just go easy on the plugins
    • Chrome - pretty stable, unless your a dev channel junkie

Of course there's opera too, but opera's always been a bit of a strange beast, a bit like an Olympus.

13. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Did you use Camino 1.6 or Camino 2? There's a serious difference in JS handling (which is what I'm assuming that test measures), although FF is still faster.

Where Camino beats FF (at least for me) is page rendering speed (on pages that aren't super JS-heavy) and GUI responsiveness. Also, FF slows down a lot once you install enough plugins to make it worth using over Camino (or even match Camino's features.)

14. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

For some reason, I just can't get used to Safari. I am currently using Camino for MacRumors and Gmail, and Firefox for school, Facebook, another Gmail account, and anything else. I was using Flock, but it was hogging my system after a while. Camino seems to be very happy and my temp is down and my fans are slower.

I wanted to use Crome more, but it doesn't have 1Password integration yet, so I'll wait on that one.

Edit: I have 22 active plugins in FF with 5 tabs open, but will go way up on that, and my speed is excellent. I keep Flash turned off.

15. enberg macrumors regular

Opera fits in even worse than Firefox on the Mac. Same on linux. It just feels like a windows app no matter where you run it.

16. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

all of my browsers are up to date

17. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

18. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Right now I have 3 browser on my mac: Safari, Firefox, and Chrome.

I use Safari as my primary browser, its fastest and the most consistent for me. It doesnt like flash but I can live with that.

I use Firefox for anything Safari gives me crap with.

Chrome I dont use but I have it because it can be useful for its lightweight and snappiness but as of now the expose bug is driving my OCD crazy to the point I just cant use it. I am an expose addict so it gives me a lot of problems.

19. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Perhaps true from a UI standpoint in the older versions of Opera however the soon to be released 10.50 fixes this in my opinion.

Browser choice is down to personal preference and what works for you. Opera works for me so I use Opera.

20. Aronnax macrumors regular

Peacekeeper is primary only a JavaScript benchmark.

The current Camino versions use Gecko 1.9.0 and it has not TraceMonkey - this is the reason.
    TraceMonkey adds native‐code compilation to Mozilla’s JavaScript engine.
    https://wiki.mozilla.org/JavaScript:TraceMonkey

You can use for example Camino 2.1a1pre builds with Gecko 1.9.2 - with TraceMonkey
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1754775
    and Camino is then again much faster on these JavaScript benchmarks.
    ---
    Up to date Firefox developer builds (with Gecko 1.9.3) have then as well JaegerMonkey.
    http://www.bailopan.net/blog/?p=683
    ---
    It has most of the time nothing to do with web site loading (display) speed.

A fast JavaScript Engine is for example necessary for stuff like this: http://www.chromeexperiments.com/

Cheers

21. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

I've just started to use OminiWeb and I love it, don't know why ig gets no love. Built in adblocking, its fast, its cocoa, nice innovative tab feature, uses less resources than firefox etc...I totally recommend as a primary or alternative browser.

22. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

OmniWeb is great , but...

Why do I need one more good browser?
    The current selection is great, and I rather use the common ones because it will make my browser compatible with most sites

23. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Omniweb uses webkit the rendering engine also used in safari and chrome so apart from browser sniffing it should be just as compatible.

24. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Because Camino is lagging behind in Gecko version compared to Firefox.
    The latest release version (2.0.1) use Gecko 1.9.0, while the latest Firefox (3.6) use Gecko 1.9.2. Major speed improvements have been put into Gecko between them...

There are builds out there running Gecko 1.9.2 though, although highly experimental.